6 Button Loses Current State

Dean

I have a 6 button KPL that controls a ceiling fan and its light. Standard setup with High, Medium, Low, Off in a scene. All settings appear to be correct in each scene. I've triple checked that the controller in the scene is also set at the appropriate level, e.g. High, Medium, etc. for that particular scene, the fan would be High and the button labeled High would be on, etc. 

The fan and lights work fine and when I press the High button, the button lights up, etc. Now, when I turn the fan Off, the Off Light does illuminate, showing the fan is off. However, the next morning, when I look at the button, none of the fan lights are illuminated. The Off Light button should be on, since that is the way I left it. I do have a program that runs at 2 pm that sets the scene "Terrace Fan OFF' to the on position, in the event I have left the fan on overnight. Not sure why that would make a difference, but just throwing it in there.

Any ideas why the fan buttons are losing their state and ALL going off on the KPL? The next day, when I press any fan speed button, it lights and the operation returns to normal with the appropriate button being lit to denote the status. I can also control the fan and state of the buttons from the console. If the lights are unlit, I can turn on a scene and the appropriate light goes on and the fan starts.

It could be a couple of things.

1) Insteon devices can "lose their way" sometimes after being installed. Right click on the keypad in the admin console and select "Restore device"

2) It could be the keypad is going bad... if you put your ear close is it buzzing loudly, any other anomalous behavior

3) It could be communication problems.

I would suggest trying 1)  and report on 2) because its quick easy to do. See if 1) addresses it

Paul

I know exactly what the problem is.

When you use the ISY to set the scene to off, the LED goes out. I solved the problem by running a program that turns the LED ON when the fan motor is off.

I apologize for this not being a 1000 word rant but I have a life.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I know exactly what the problem is.

When you use the ISY to set the scene to off, the LED goes out. I solved the problem by running a program that turns the LED ON when the fan motor is off.

I apologize for this not being a 1000 word rant but I have a life.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I had tried this before, but couldn't remember what happened, so I added the steps to set the backlight for the OFF button to On 15/Off 5. I checked the program and it worked exactly as it should, as the backlights came on as programmed. However, when I got up this morning, all of the fan lights on the button were dark/off/no lights. One more bit of information, I have 3 fan/lights under the deck. All 3 lights and Fan 1 are controlled by this 6 button KPL. The other 2 fans are controlled by an 8 button device with the top 4 controlling fan 2 and the bottom 4 controlling fan 3. The buttons all work great to control the lights and the fans. However, both of these KPLs behave the same way as to no "OFF" light lit in the morning.

I've looked everywhere to see if there is another program issuing some type of command, but can't find anything. I incorporated the set backlight levels program into the same program that turns all the downstairs lights, etc. off after 1 am, if I have left them on. The backlight commands are the last three lines in that program and occur after the scene commands to set the fans off.

One other note. If I remove the 3 backlight commands and run the program, the backlights behave as they should, with the OFF light on the buttons coming on to full 15 brightness. Something has to be changing this later in the "wee hours" of the morning, after the program runs. Don't you think? Here is the code.

Downstairs Lights Off After Midnight - [iD 004C][Parent 0048]

If
        Time is  1:00:00AM

Then
        Set Scene 'Downstairs Lights' Off
        Set Scene 'Guest BR Lights' Off
        Set Scene 'Guest Bathroom Lights' Off
        Set Scene 'Terrace Fan 1 Off' On
        Set Scene 'Terrace Fan 2 Off' On
        Set Scene 'Terrace Fan 3 Off' On
        Set 'Terrace Main Lights Button / Terrace Fan 1 Button - Off' On 15 / Off 5 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'Terrace Fan 2 Button - High / Terrace Fan 2 Button - Off' On 15 / Off 5 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'Terrace Fan 3 Button - High / Terrace Fan 3 Button - Off' On 15 / Off 5 (Backlight Level)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')
  • 5 months later...

I wanted to go back and close the loop on this thread. I did finally determine the problem. I did a search through all of the programs and found an older program that ran during the night. For some reason, it was actually resetting the buttons status. Once I deleted that program, everything has been fine. So, stray programs that are not being used need to be disabled or deleted.

Archived