FanLinc damaged (8 damaged in total)

The Hunter fans I purchased to replace my White Emersons also have the wireless control modules. Since the fans are designed to work with such a device, I thought that was a safer path for use with the FanLincs. No failures on those 4 Hunter fans yet; it has been about two months. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which Hunter models are those? I have two Royal Oaks 60" fans and both of those have had FanLincs fail on them.

I have 4 Home Depot fans in my home and all have Zwave switches. There is no single Zwave switch that controls both fan and fan light and therefore I use one fan switch and one light switch. Yes..... it would be a lot easier to have one switch for both fan and fan light, but it works for me and it never gives the issues that come with Fanlinc.

I was contemplating ZWave modules for the fans after experiencing these issues with the FanLincs. Do you have an ISY with ZWave capabilities? I was wondering if I added ZWave to my ISY 994i (should have done the ZWave upgrade when they were offering it with a discount), if I could still use the Insteon KeyPadLinc to control the ZWave Fan module. I could pull an additional wire from the switch location and use the KPL switch (load) to control the light for those locations where the fan has a light.

I was contemplating ZWave modules for the fans after experiencing these issues with the FanLincs. Do you have an ISY with ZWave capabilities? I was wondering if I added ZWave to my ISY 994i (should have done the ZWave upgrade when they were offering it with a discount), if I could still use the Insteon KeyPadLinc to control the ZWave Fan module. I could pull an additional wire from the switch location and use the KPL switch (load) to control the light for those locations where the fan has a light.

You can still purchase the Z-Wave daughter card on sale for $44.00 USD vs $79.00 USD regular price: https://www.universal-devices.com/sales/

Which Hunter models are those? I have two Royal Oaks 60" fans and both of those have had FanLincs fail on them.

Hunter Fan 54" Contemporary Ceiling Fan in Brushed Nickel with Cased White LED Light Kit and Remote (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZWFXP9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZhRZzb4EF992S

$105 from Frugalfairdeals

I guess mine could still fail, and I have another Hunter that has had one fail, but it lasted much longer. I think it is like a lottery.

I saw a post where someone uses Z-wave outlets from Eaton / Cooper (IIRC) as repeaters, and I thought that was a great idea.

I have 4 Home Depot fans in my home and all have Zwave switches. There is no single Zwave switch that controls both fan and fan light and therefore I use one fan switch and one light switch. Yes..... it would be a lot easier to have one switch for both fan and fan light, but it works for me and it never gives the issues that come with Fanlinc.

Which ZWave switches are you using? Is there a module that installs in the fan cowling like the FanLinc or is it only the switch in the wall that gets installed (and then I imagine those output wires from the switch get connected directly to the fan wires in the ceiling box)?

Aha! Thank you very much! Seems like a good add-on to have, even if I don't end up using it for this. More potential and flexibility.

No worries ~ Note if you decide to purchase the hardware module you still have to buy the $1.00 Z-Wave activation module. 

Is this a rare say or do they go on sale frequently?

That sales price has been in effect for more than a year. I don't for see it going away until the Z-Wave Plus module is brought on line.  

I tried the Z-Wave fan wall switch in a location that has separate switches for both the fan and light. But, using a KPL to control it makes little sense as it's a wall switch and won't fit in the fan canopy. I'm not sure that it can even be done as it depends on manually tapping the paddle to change the speed. It doesn't have multiple modes as the FanLinc does.

Want mine? It's a GE 12730. Still in original box, $30 + shipping. Asbril has first choice, MtTinker second.

Any ideas when we should expect the Z-Wave Plus module?

Thanks.

No clue on that portion keeping in mind some of the chips can be upgraded via firmware to support Z-Wave Plus. Whether or not the chip from UDI can be upgraded would need to be asked of them.

I certainly hope so, otherwise lots of people will have to upgrade their Z-Wave daughter card in the future.

I gather if that was the case the company would offer a discount for it anyways. They have been extremely flexible in that area for a long time. As can be seen on the current sales price for the existing Z-Wave card.

Any ideas when we should expect the Z-Wave Plus module?

Thanks.

No clue on that portion keeping in mind some of the chips can be upgraded via firmware to support Z-Wave Plus. Whether or not the chip from UDI can be upgraded would need to be asked of them.

I certainly hope so, otherwise lots of people will have to upgrade their Z-Wave daughter card in the future.

I gather if that was the case the company would offer a discount for it anyways. They have been extremely flexible in that area for a long time. As can be seen on the current sales price for the existing Z-Wave card.

I did a little research, and found this thread, where Michel indicates on 2/15/17:  "Z-Wave Gen 5 is a hardware chip. Z-Wave Plus is a certification thing with icons and some features that only Gen 5 can provide but it's not a necessity. In short, we can get Z-Wave Plus certification even without having Gen 5 hardware. We are going to do both."

I also found this thread, where Michel indicates on 8/30/17:  "We already have our 500 series dongle working alas we have to make major changes to support S2. Just so much to do and so little time."

I interpret this to mean they have a prototype daughter board with Gen 5 Z-wave hardware, so I am just going to wait, even though they are not saying how long it will take.  I also have no idea what "S2" refers to.

Mark

I did a little research, and found this thread, where Michel indicates on 2/15/17:  "Z-Wave Gen 5 is a hardware chip. Z-Wave Plus is a certification thing with icons and some features that only Gen 5 can provide but it's not a necessity. In short, we can get Z-Wave Plus certification even without having Gen 5 hardware. We are going to do both."

I also found this thread, where Michel indicates on 8/30/17:  "We already have our 500 series dongle working alas we have to make major changes to support S2. Just so much to do and so little time."

I interpret this to mean they have a prototype daughter board with Gen 5 Z-wave hardware, so I am just going to wait, even though they are not saying how long it will take.  I also have no idea what "S2" refers to.

Mark

S2 is the mandatory security frame work instituted on November 2016. Any new Z-Wave device must comply to this new frame work if its to be certified. Based on those two linked threads the existing Z-Wave hardware does not support Gen 5 / Z-Wave Plus. The Z-Wave Plus is a software (firmware) update so it could be added but gather they (UDI) wants to go the full meal deal to ensure it supports the 128 bit hardware encryption along with all the positive attributes of longer range, faster I/O, hand shaking, etc. 

Not knowing how long it would be before they release new hardware, I wouldn't necessarily wait for new hardware. The current generation works well if you invest in the proper hardware for your setup. While the benefits of gen 5 are great, the current hardware is no slouch. 

Yes I have ISY with ZWave. In fact I started using both Insteon and ZWave devices but when PLM failed I decided to go exclusively ZWave.

I don't know whether Insteon KeyPadLinc would still work but I assume that ISY will allow you to do so.

In my Master Bedroom I have the Fan and Fan Light switches behind the bed and I installed another Light switch (with no load attached)  near entrance of bedroom. I created a program in ISY whereby when activating that switch, the Fan goes ON to 67 % and the Fan Light to 40 %. When changing that switch to OFF, both Fan and Fan Light go off.

I was wondering if I added ZWave to my ISY 994i (should have done the ZWave upgrade when they were offering it with a discount), if I could still use the Insteon KeyPadLinc to control the ZWave Fan module. I could pull an additional wire from the switch location and use the KPL switch (load) to control the light for those locations where the fan has a light.

At a minimum, you could read the insteon keypad key presses with the "If" part of an ISY program, and have the "Then" part of the program command the zwave fan module. This type of integration is where the ISY really shines. 

Maybe a tad of a delay compared to a keypadlinc to fanlinc using a scene, but shouldn't be too bad, like a second or two.

Paul

At a minimum, you could read the insteon keypad key presses with the "If" part of an ISY program, and have the "Then" part of the program command the zwave fan module. This type of integration is where the ISY really shines. 

Maybe a tad of a delay compared to a keypadlinc to fanlinc using a scene, but shouldn't be too bad, like a second or two.

Paul

Scenes shine. Sometimes a delay is not only tolerable, but somewhat enjoyable. For example, our "lights off" program has lights turning off sequentially with the furthest light turning off first, then in order as they approach the "turn on" location. It's a really nice effect.

OTOH, if I'm entering a darkened space such as under the house or a really dark room, I don't want to wait. Even a second or two is too long. In those situations, scenes shine B)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived