FanLinc damaged (8 damaged in total)

the amperage is good.

I honestly think 1.9 FanLinc are a piece of crap I will go to Fry's today hopefully 1.8 or 1.4 I will just try to avoid 1.9 at all costs.

Amperage wasn't my question :)

And they are not crap, cos I have 3 for few years now with Zero problems AFTER having to replace one of my fans to be comparable. You can't use FanLinc (or any other remote control system) to just ANY fan.. their cirqurry must be comparable with either 3-stage control or dimming.

Cheers,

Alex

Amperage wasn't my question :)

And they are not crap, cos I have 3 for few years now with Zero problems AFTER having to replace one of my fans to be comparable. You can't use FanLinc (or any other remote control system) to just ANY fan.. their cirqurry must be comparable with either 3-stage control or dimming.

Cheers,

Alex

1.9 is crap.

I am in the phone with SmartHome they said they have a brand new revision that doesn't damage!!!

Apparently all my calls to those guys were useful!!!

I have been bugging them each time one fails just because I wanted them to take notes and ask their engineers.

These are awesome news!

They said

AVOID 1.8 and 1.9

New revision based on 1.4

New FanLinc will say 1.4 (also see for a DTA 16 on the TOP)

These guys at SH want me to buy the item first, and then I have to return the device, and wait 6 weeks for a refund.

I have spent at least $588 on FanLinc and getting the refund is always a pain.

Anyway of to Fry's or Microcenter to see if I can find a 1.4!!!

Well in the office there was a dimmer downstairs that went to a dimmer upstairs that went to a dimmer in the hall and from the hall I sent to the Office Fan.

So ONE of those dimmers had a bad neutral on intermittent and yeah I could see why the office was a recipe for disaster.

Since then I changed office so electric cable is directly wired from electrical socket.

However in the second room I can almost swear today it damaged because I turned the breaker on.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to turn OFF the ceiling fan with the chain (so both light power and fan speed are off even if they receive electricity from the FanLinc)

But anyway, my mystery remains.

I have been that by re-wiring and double and triple checking connections problem seems to improve, at least for a few months.

My main question is if I have 46 devices then why ONY the FanLinc fails.

On the second room the FanLinc It's even wired to the same circuit as the Toggle Linc.

On the office it's wired to the same circuit of the Keypad Linc.

Something seems strange, are FanLincs SUPER sensitive and prone to error?

From the 46 devices I have, only FanLinc have been returned.

I've resisted from posting in any of your threads because I know it simply won't turn out well for you. I would like you to sit down and really think about what you posted up above.

At this juncture you need to spend a few weeks reading information in a electrical forum. Which there are dozens which offer insight and critical feedback on every possible wiring condition. If you can't answer the question I high lighted in red you need to step away and get educated.

Because the signs you listed off in written text are materializing in the real world.

Did you read the problem was confirmed by SmartHome today.

Revision 1.4 works

Revision 1.8 and 1.9 fails.

About my electric I did the re-wiring and it helped the problem because I am not dependent on two circuit boxes only on one.

However I believe the real error was the revision 1.8 and 1.9

Taken, he is going to comprehend what any of us are telling him. He's going to listen to some uneducated sales rep on the phone.

He hasn't stopped to think about which versions of the FanLinc he has had fail and which versions work. He hasn't checked the fan to see if it may have a DC motor nor has he checked the capacitor in the fan. His only clue about the fan is that it uses a pull chain. That tells me it has a three speed capacitor which I suspect is bad or is going bad or the switch is not switching the capacitor correctly.

As per is past pattern, he'll ask and ask and ask until someone tells him what he wants to hear but he won't take good advice.

Sorry for my rant but I think you have infected me.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Did you read the problem was confirmed by SmartHome today.

Revision 1.4 works

Revision 1.8 and 1.9 fails.

About my electric I did the re-wiring and it helped the problem because I am not dependent on two circuit boxes only on one.

However I believe the real error was the revision 1.8 and 1.9

Once again, your inability to use sound reasoning and ignore basic electricity and NEC / CEC codes is quite shocking. There are tens of millions (not thousands) of Fan Links coupled to thousands of brands of ceiling fans. Not one of these people have gone through (8) fans . . .

None . . .

You still haven't answered my first question as to why the wiring I high lighted in (RED) is an issue?!?!

And yes I read what you indicated from SH which has no material fact on the subject matter at hand, none. As others have mentioned this forum is about learning and sharing in hopes of enjoying the most expansive possession a person will ever have.

The fact you won't take some time and really learn, study, ask questions, from real professionals - never mind hire a professional to at least give you some insight is disturbing. No one has ever been born with knowledge out of the cradle but its safe to say people actively learn something new each and every day.

That is called life . . .

When you don't learn something new or experience something new, or even take the time to achieve something new - its called living . . .

I would seriously ask you to consider thinking about all the above and understand what I high lighted in RED. 

Taken, he is going to comprehend what any of us are telling him. He's going to listen to so uneducated sales report on the phone.

He hasn't stopped to think about which versions of the FanLinc he has had fail and which versions work. He hasn't checked the fan to see if it may have a DC motor nor has he cheated led the capacitor in the fan. His only clue about the fan is that it uses a pull chain. That tells me it has a three speed capacitor which I suspect is bad or is going bad or the switch is not switching the capacitor correctly.

As per is past pattern, he'll ask and ask and ask until someone tells him what he wants to hear but he won't take good advice.

Sorry for my rant but I think you have infected me.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

LOL . . .

Sorry - short and sweet!

today as I was adding a USB charger outlet to my house I turned the breakers off and boom, yet another FanLinc damaged.

Are you sure the damage occurred when you turned the breaker OFF. If so, then as others have suggested, you have a serious electric wiring problem that must be taken care of. A fire may ensue.

no when I turned the breaker ON.

Anyway I will get the new device from SmartHome soon and problem solved.

Thanks guys for your suggestions this issue has been really annoying for me but I am happy SmartHome fixed the issue I would advice people to AVOID rev 1.8 and rev 1.9 for now

He thinks the issue is fixed and now wants to give us advice.

Save us Teken. The world has ended.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Gary Funk

are you smarter that any other person in this forum??

what an attitude you have.

Go ahead and buy a FanLinc rev 1.9 so you can discover yourself.

Your advice is full of pride, unwilling to listen to other people.

Call SmartHome support and discover yourself if you are indeed the genius you think you are

I called SmartHome technical support so all you people Gary Funk and Teken that are constantly just trying to belittle people and make fun of people this message is for you.

Answer YES or NO

1) DO YOU UNDERSTAND SMARTHOME IS AWARE OF THIS ISSUE???

2) DO YOU UNDERSTAND I LIVE CLOSE TO SMARTHOME AND HAVE PERSONALLY SPOKEN WITH THE TECHNICIANS??

1) Probably not.

All of my experiences with Smarthome and Insteon. Showed they like to gloss over issues until there is an overwhelming out cry from users. That can't be ignored any longer.

Ask the early SwitchLinc owners with the Tact Switch Issues. "You must be pushing the paddles crookedly or you wired it wrong."

Eventually the overwhelming cry from the users. Got an extended seven year warranty.

2) Until now. I have not seen you state that fact. In any of your messages.

I called SmartHome technical support so all you people Gary Funk and Teken that are constantly just trying to belittle people and make fun of people this message is for you.

Answer YES or NO

1) DO YOU UNDERSTAND SMARTHOME IS AWARE OF THIS ISSUE???

2) DO YOU UNDERSTAND I LIVE CLOSE TO SMARTHOME AND HAVE PERSONALLY SPOKEN WITH THE TECHNICIANS??

Exactly who on this forum has been belittled?

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Gary you bilittle me all the time so stop just stop. SMH ;)

Well, you get it because you're sweet, kind, charming and handsome. Also you give me that thrill that crawls right up my leg. Oh, i forgot to mention smart.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Archived