FanLinc damaged (8 damaged in total)

Policy and individual actions are 2 different things. Someone not properly following procedures does not change what policy is.

We were not talking policy. We were talking what actually happens.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Actually what Stusviews and I spoke of is what their policy is. If followed properly, you would not receive new stock before old. I'm am quite sure you know that.

Every company has a policy that is supposed to be followed. That doesn't mean mistakes do not happen or things do not go awry. That means policy was broken regardless of reason.

Just like with your business. If you or someone else breaks against procedures, it causes issues. That doesn't change what your company is about.

That's between you and Stu. I can't find any post where you mention you are stating policy. I'm quiet sure I don't know SmartHome policy. Especially after their poor track record with the PLM and FanLinc.

You are I are never going to agree on this point. Your stand is on what SmartHome policy is: my stand is on what SmartHome actually does based on my experience and the documented experience of others.

As to your other two points, I agree.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

That's between you and Stu. I can't find any post where you mention you are stating policy. I'm quiet sure I don't know SmartHome policy. Especially after their poor track record with the PLM and FanLinc.

You are I are never going to agree on this point. Your stand is on what SmartHome policy is: my stand is on what SmartHome actually does based on my experience and the documented experience of others.

As to your other two points, I agree.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Well said!

The difference between policy and practice is mainly management quality.

For all intents and purposes, SH practices QA and this is demonstrated regularly with their product quality, handling of product distribution, and now we are hearing it is also applied to employee management. 

... now we are hearing it is also applied to employee management. 

What you heard/read is one person's opinion, not necessarily a fact.

I also find it very unusual that a three year old device was sent out as new, although I'm not disputing that.

I also find it very unusual that a three year old device was sent out as new, although I'm not disputing that.

13600d4bdb5e2fe6754e7f0f32cdf815.jpg9d81afb4d72e817760f3bcc2237a02c3.jpgfbbd195b983688e0ac9e5cdead2641a4.jpg

How about two year old devices. These were all bought within the past 3 months by Don Chick. This IS the norm for some devices.

And Stu, I know that there are many many others that share the opinion of Larry. Add me to that list.

By-the-way, these three devices were sent to replace THREE revision 1.9 devices that all failed within 24 hours.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

Did you forget the hundred behind the one? :)

Forget any single opinions. This is why companies hire shills to forge hundreds of reviews now, on most review websites, to outweigh the real user reports of dissatisfaction. 

"Actions speak louder than words"

When one outlines how a company handles different situations, one would think that there was some type of policy/procedure in place without having to specifically state this is policy (why would it be stated in the first place if it was conjecture). For the most part business practices for products generally go with a policy of First in First out. (otherwise they would constantly be overstocked if they got rid of new stuff before old)

I am not saying employees don't make mistakes or do things wrong. ALL companies have policies in place to decrease/prevent things from happening. If there is any company with perfect employees then I would like to see what they are doing. As with anything, when humans touch it, there are bound to be errors. Regardless of the mistakes of terrible employees or mismanagement of said employees, that still has nothing to do with how things are supposed to operate which is what Stus and I spoke out about.

I am with Stus. To have received devices as old as the ones that you received, indicates there is something else. Receiving a rev lower is one thing but one thats a few years old is a completely different story. 

This is a small unique forum with many of the same members making the majority of the posts. It is easy to say there is a problem. (i'm not implying that there isn't one). However if you look at the numbers of units shipped in a given month compared to the numbers posted you would see a huge difference. Keep in mind, most people post with problems not when things are working well. 

Even when members post on here about bad devices, many devices turn out not to be bad at all. Many people blame the device without looking deeper into the matter. This post is a great example of that. Lets be real. Even when Insteon's quality was at its lowest; what was the likely hood of 8 of the same devices burning out like the fanlinc's in this post (I'm not talking about having a bunch go bad a few years down the road like the icons or paddle issue)? My issue with his post is that he is giving bad information which could hurt more than help someone. This could have someone swapping something for another product. it is their right but when they may need to swap the replacement device, they may not be able to since it simply continues the original warranty.

I would recommend sending back that 1.3. The reason being if you did need to warranty it, once the technician hears the rev. number, that could decrease the likelihood of receiving a warranty replacement as they would assume it is a much older device. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend sending back that 1.3. The reason being if you did need to warranty it, once the technician hears the rev. number, that could decrease the likelihood of receiving a warranty replacement as they would assume it is a much older device.

After giving this a lot of thought and having just had a FanLinc 1.2 that lost High, I contacted SmartHome to return the 1.3 version. I sent customer service an email since I couldn't get through by phone so I'm waiting to hear back.

I'm hoping they will offer to replace it but knowing how their customer service works I expect to have to fight with them in this.

I want to thank those that have offered help and support. Your advice is well intentioned and valuable and I know it is worth following. I'll keep you informed on how SmartHome responds.

I'm Gary Funk. Pay no attention to this message.

When one outlines how a company handles different situations, one would think that there was some type of policy/procedure in place without having to specifically state this is policy (why would it be stated in the first place if it was conjecture). For the most part business practices for products generally go with a policy of First in First out. (otherwise they would constantly be overstocked if they got rid of new stuff before old)

I am not saying employees don't make mistakes or do things wrong. ALL companies have policies in place to decrease/prevent things from happening. If there is any company with perfect employees then I would like to see what they are doing. As with anything, when humans touch it, there are bound to be errors. Regardless of the mistakes of terrible employees or mismanagement of said employees, that still has nothing to do with how things are supposed to operate which is what Stus and I spoke out about.

I am with Stus. To have received devices as old as the ones that you received, indicates there is something else. Receiving a rev lower is one thing but one thats a few years old is a completely different story.

This is a small unique forum with many of the same members making the majority of the posts. It is easy to say there is a problem. (i'm not implying that there isn't one). However if you look at the numbers of units shipped in a given month compared to the numbers posted you would see a huge difference. Keep in mind, most people post with problems not when things are working well.

Even when members post on here about bad devices, many devices turn out not to be bad at all. Many people blame the device without looking deeper into the matter. This post is a great example of that. Lets be real. Even when Insteon's quality was at its lowest; what was the likely hood of 8 of the same devices burning out like the fanlinc's in this post (I'm not talking about having a bunch go bad a few years down the road like the icons or paddle issue)? My issue with his post is that he is giving bad information which could hurt more than help someone. This could have someone swapping something for another product. it is their right but when they may need to swap the replacement device, they may not be able to since it simply continues the original warranty.

All you need is proof that you bought it within the last year.

Rev number doesn't matter

@lilyoyo1

I'm truly happy I took your advice. I contacted support last Tuesday and the finally got back to me today.

This is the response I Received:

"Although the item is really old and we only send out new versions i had to get an OK from our Supervisor. As a 1 x only we will do the exchange for you."

Tomorrow the old one goes back. My question is will I get a v1.45 or a v2.1 or something in between.

Anyone want to guess the date and hour it fails?

Well, after following this thread for awhile I don't pretend to know why a new piece of hardware would indicate a lower revision number?!?! This goes against all industry best practices and the only time I've seen a rev go lower is when it was new device which looked the same on the outside.

As lilyoyo1 correctly noted interim changes would have a suffice of (making this up here) say it was 1.9 you could see a 1.9A etc.

But after watching Insteon / Smartlabs for more than ten years who really knows . . .

Since they started over with v1.4 and they always reflash all the firmware to the latest before it goes out the door, you must have the latest reliable version :)

A friend of mine just had his 1.9 replaced with a 2.1.

02d0f893b3fd833dbfa3c74b9b3ec48e.jpg

Archived