iOS / ISY Proximity Script

Steven M Castano

Steven... Everything's gone exceptionally-smoothly on Windows 10... up to the point of running iPhoneLocation.py, at which point it generates the following error:

Startup: Your current operating system is windows
Startup: PID=488
Startup: Failed to load logging settings, ABORTING!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "iphonelocation.py", line 75, in <module>
    f_out = open('c:\{}.pid'.format(application_logging_name), 'w', 0)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'c:\\iPhoneLocation.pid'

It seems Python has a permissions issue writing to disk. Before I spend too much time unpacking this, do you have any advice?

Thanks.

Steven... Everything's gone exceptionally-smoothly on Windows 10... up to the point of running iPhoneLocation.py, at which point it generates the following error:

Startup: Your current operating system is windows
Startup: PID=488
Startup: Failed to load logging settings, ABORTING!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "iphonelocation.py", line 75, in <module>
    f_out = open('c:\{}.pid'.format(application_logging_name), 'w', 0)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'c:\\iPhoneLocation.pid'

It seems Python has a permissions issue writing to disk. Before I spend too much time unpacking this, do you have any advice?

Thanks.

My guess here is that it doesn't like that you're writing to the root of the C drive... you could try "Run As Administrator".... start an admin command prompt then run the iPhoneLocation.py script. If that doesn't work, I can probably show you a few code changes so it writes the .pid file somewhere else... as well as just commend out the lines and not write one at all.

Steven... Permissions to the C: drive was the issue. I changed the path on line 75 so the .pid file is now being created in a permissioned location. I'll check to see if there are other references and update them accordingly.

Happy to report the script is working fine. I was out to the gym this morning and it tracked my trip out and back.

Next... onto the ISY program.

Thanks for your help.

Proximity app is up and running on two devices right now and I have it triggering programs to flash lights and send a text message when my wife is within striking distance. (NB: Nothing untoward here. Just a warning so I have time to stop doing geeky stuff before she opens the door.)

In terms of at-home Bluetooth monitoring, does anyone know of an hcitool equivalent for Windows? It would make sense that someone, somewhere has developed one but I've yet to locate it.

Thoughts, anyone?

Archived