Best method of linking insteons to ISY

Hi All:

So i just finished replacing over 20 SWL and Relays with the latest v4.0/v4.1 versions because of massive paddle failures (my old switches were v2.0 and were dying one at a time).

I have the ISY99 with the latest beta Firmware. What is the preferred method for me to create all my links to the ISY? So far I have added a couple of the new SWL by inputting their addresses manually into the ISY and then use the "replace switch with" command in ISY which works but is kind of slow. Should i continue and do that for all of them? Or should i just use multi-linking mode in the ISY and run around and do it manually? Or maybe auto-discovery (overnight)?

FYI: I have a spreadsheet with all the unique addresses and their locations in the house so i am pretty organized.

Should I (or can I?) use the ISY to simply 'wipe out' (factory reset) any and all programming in each switch and start ALL linking (cross linking, etc.) over?

This has been a crappy ride getting to this point (over 3 years) and i simply want to start from scratch to minimize any ghost links, etc. For example i have one switch in the basement that goes on frequently and i have no idea what is causing it! I think it is linking to a SWL on the second floor but i cannot reproduce it on-demand!

Anyway, any advice for me....?

Sean

Hello Sean,

The best way to avoid ghost links is to factory reset each switch. They have been known to come from the factory with Insteon links and sometimes X10 addresses from testing. The ISY can remove Insteon links but not X10 addresses. Your basement switch may have an X10 address; perform a factory reset and then use the ISY to Restore Device.

You can enter the addresses or use tap linking. I believe the tap linking causes the device to broadcast it's type and revision and is a way of testing communication with the ISY. Whichever way you choose select the first option, Remove Existing Links. The linking should be pretty quick.

If you are using Replace Device then links from the old switch will be transferred to the new switch and every link in every device linked to the old switch will be removed and replaced with the new device address. While this does take some time it is probably quicker than recreating all your scenes.

Spidering (add devices found in links) will not find the new switches as it relies on links already in existence, something your new switches don't have.

If you really want to start from scratch I would suggest that you factory reset all your devices including the ISY and the PLM.

Rand

Reset the PLM; unplug for 10+ seconds, press and hold set button, plug in and continue to hold button for 10 seconds. The ISY has a pinhole on the front, push a paperclip through and hold for 10 seconds.

Then reset the switches and add them back.

Rand

Archived