New Dot

Paulk8

ESP is independent of the Gen 2 Dot. I started using ESP a week or so before the Gen 2 Dot was available. I do notice that, on occasion, two Dots within about 6' of each other will respond consecutively. But, this is the first release of ESP. It'll probably improve.

My Dots are about 10' apart, and they still always both respond to any command.  Frustrating.  This is the entire reason I bought more Dots, but the feature is just not working for me.  I need to have several in the Kitchen due noise from fans and appliances that make it hard for 1 Echo to reliably recognize commands.  

EDIT: well, if I put them about 12 feet apart, they do work as they are supposed to.  Kind of add that they have this much of a distance required, but I guess it is done for some reason.  Also, even 6 feet apart, they will work if there is a lot of background noise. 

If you have multiple accounts the dots can be registered to any of them. You can then switch between accounts by saying switch accounts but that does not change to witch account the dot is registered to, only the account it's currently controlling. The ESP only works with the dots that are registered to the same account. Thus you can have 2 dots controlling the same account but registered to different accounts and the ESP will not work. I had 4 dots next to each other and the ESP works 100%.

I don't understand how you can even have different accounts. I can only have one app on one device and all devices are linked to the only account I can attach to the app.

I have one portal and four Amazon accounts. Each Amazon account is separately assigned to the portal (as sub-accounts, but there's really no difference between a main account and a sub-account except that the main account is the first one created).

Each Echo and/or Dot is registered to one of the Amazon accounts and, consequently, the same portal account. When I log into Alexa I need to specify which account I want to log into. When I log into the portal I need to specify which account I want to log into.

Each of the four accounts is individual and separate. I have one ISY that includes all devices, scenes and programs. After logging into a portal account, I select the device, scenes and programs that I want controlled by the Echos/Dots registered to that one and the same Amazon account.

For example, I have a bedroom account. I log into that portal account and add what I want controlled from the bedroom (including anything in the house, not just the bedroom). Then I log into the Alexa bedroom account and discover devices. I do the same for my living room account and the other two accounts.

A benefit is that I only need to as Alexa to turn on the light and the light in that (account) room turns on. I don't need to specify which light unless it's a light in a different room. ESP works only for Echos/Dots in the same account.

If another Echo/Dot on a different account is within earshot, both will respond. I avoid that problem by giving Echos/Dots on different accounts that may hear the same command concurrently different wake words.

This is getting ridiculous!

All I can say is you're damn lucky the people in that building are honest.

I see your problem.  You probably purchased a male and female Echo and left them in the same box too long.  This is where Dots come from.  

LMAO - Well played . . .

Again

My app supports multiple devices but there is only one account per app and one app per mobile device

My somewhat lengthy post applies to Echos/Dot only. It's totally unrelated to mobile devices.

My Dot and Echo only have a few buttons and no screen to enter any account settings. I can only enter such things on a computer or mobile device.

Do you have a keyboard on your Echo?

It takes a device with an Alexa app to set up a Dot or Echo and that app has to be run on something like and Android or iOS device.
It wouldn't matter how many Amazon accounts I have if I have nothing to link the Dots to the accounts with. My Alexa app won't do that.

How do you log into, and setup  an Echo, or Dot,  without a mobile device  app?

I removed the Power from one of the new echo dots to put a shorter USB cord on it. Upon startup it wouldn't connect to Wi-Fi I had to go into the app and put it in set up mode and reselect the Wi-Fi.

I am using 5.0 GHz exclusively and this is one of the furthest ones away from the router so that could be an issue but given the other Wi-Fi issues I've had with the new version two dots I am thinking that they have some minor Wi-Fi issues, but maybe it is only with 5.0 GHz.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I discovered another snag.

If you create a household, linking accounts for different room operation setups, you cannot create a new household for 180 days after cancelling the last household configuration.

No more of that for me for 3 months after my experimental setup and test.

EDIT: duh! 6 months.

I ran into exactly that difficulty way back when the Echo was new and, as usual, I experimented. Amazon support fixed the problem on the spot. The 180 day waiting period was immediately waived.

I ran into exactly that difficulty way back when the Echo was new and, as usual, I experimented. Amazon support fixed the problem on the spot. The 180 day waiting period was immediately waived.

Yeah. And my math was bad too. That's a six month penalty for experimenting.

I wonder why amazon would be so stiff on the penalty. Even 30 days would be a deterent to not abuse their servers.

Did you just call them by phone or email support or how did you plead the insanity case?

My usual method is to request a call back. My phone rings almost immediately and I've never had to wait more than a minute for a live person. I will say that Amazon's customer service is equal to that of UDI.

• 3 weeks later...

I am experiencing Wi-Fi dropouts on two of my new v2 Dots. One is positioned the furthest from the router, so might explain the issue. The other one is within spitting distance of the router, however.

To re-establish the Wi-Fi connection, I can either place it in setup mode and then take it out of setup mode, or initiate a power cycle; in either case, the device reconnects.

Is anyone else experiencing intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity issues?

I occasionally experience a loss of connection from my Echos/Dots furthest from the WiFi source. If I don't need that device, I wait and it corrects itself. If I'm in the area, the Echo/Dot gives a warning and spins orange. I haven't tried the methods you mention.

I am experiencing Wi-Fi dropouts on two of my new v2 Dots. One is positioned the furthest from the router, so might explain the issue. The other one is within spitting distance of the router, however.

To re-establish the Wi-Fi connection, I can either place it in setup mode and then take it out of setup mode, or initiate a power cycle; in either case, the device reconnects.

Is anyone else experiencing intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity issues?

One of my Dots close to the router just lost it connection, so I power cycled it according to your suggestion. Voila! After a light show which began with a spinning bright blue light that got faster and faster until it started flashing, the Dot sang Hello. Connection restored.

Archived