LED Reflects Status of Scene/Program

andrew77

Is the best way to have the LED of a KPL show the true status of a scene to make a scene with the KPL button in question and have it trigger when a program runs?

Or is there an easier way to do this?

I'd like the KPL button LED to reflect the status of the scene. 

(If I trigger a scene by double clicking a SWL and that scene is also triggered by a KPL button I'd like the KPL button to light.)

I hope I'm making sense.

Drew

• 1 month later...

What about when I can't add the KPL to the scene?

(If the KPL is in the scene it tells me I can't add it as its already in the scene)

For example, I have a program like this

If Light A is on, wait 4 minutes 

then shut light A off

Light A is controlled by a KPL button (not the load)

When the light goes out (when the timer runs down)

the KPL LED is still lit.

I have this issue in a few situations in my set up.

If a scene or program turns on lights that are controlled by KPL buttons (again, not load) when the light goes off the LED is still on.

I'd love to have a surefire way to have the KPL LEDs reflect the status of a scene or the status of a light. 

If the light is on, LED is on. 

If the light is OFF,, LED is off.

A scene contains one or more devices. Any device in the scene can have a status of off or any other state. The only way a KeypadLinc button can determine the status of a scene is to detect if 1) at least one of the devices in the scene is not off-the scene is ON or 2) all devices in the scene are off-the scene is OFF.

I have a KPL button that does just that. It's a responder to all the devices in the scene and a controller of its own scene.. It's set to non-toggle off. If any device in the scene is not off, then the button is lit. It's unit if either all devices in the scene are off or the button is pressed.

What mode are you using for your KPL button?

99% of the KPL buttons are in the usual factory setting (on/off)

I have two KPL buttons that are in non toggle off but they aren't part of the issues here.

I have a KPL button that does just that. It's a responder to all the devices in the scene and a controller of its own scene.. It's set to non-toggle off. If any device in the scene is not off, then the button is lit. It's unit if either all devices in the scene are off or the button is pressed.

I have a program like that but it seems to not be 100% accurate.

Basement G Off - [iD 0009][Parent 0001]

If
        Status  'Andrew's Office-Office' is not Off
     Or Status  'Basement Hall' is not Off
     Or Status  'Basement KPL-Living Room' is not Off
     Or Status  'Lamp Left' is not Off
     Or Status  'Lamp Right' is not Off
     Or Status  'Rocking Chair Lamp' is not Off
     Or Status  'Theatre Room' is not Off
     Or Status  'Turtle' is not Off

Then
        Set Scene 'Basement LED' On

Else
        Set Scene 'Basement LED' Off

Sometimes the LED is lit even though no lights are on.
(the KPL button that stays lit is also the KPL button that triggers the basement scene)

To be clearer,

One KPL button when turned on turns on three lights in the basement.
When its turned off it shuts off all basement lights regardless if they were in the scene.

It usually accomplishes this but the LED on the KPL button is sometimes left lit.
I wonder if its because of slow ramp rates on the lights?

That's precisely the type of logic I use for the button. I don't have any difficulty with the button being in the correct state. Ramp rates shouldn't matter.

Two things you can check. First click on the button to determine if the button is part of a different scene. Second, use program search to see if the button is part of another program.

I have a very similar problem with my KPL that I just replaced. The new unit keys do not respond when part of a scene. I think that they may not have been added to the scene correctly.

I have 4 KPL's and a mini remote that control the same scene and the other three LED's match the status of the scene when triggered, as did the unit that was pulled.

The scene is setup in the following manner:

In-linelinc is the load controller - Dining Room -- in scene as responder

Dining room KPL Button B - Button/KPL that is the issue at hand -- in scene as controller

Master Bedroom KPL - Button D -- in scene as controller

Bedside table KPL - Button D -- in scene as controller

Kitchen KPL - Button D -- in scene as controller

All are set to the default non-toggle to "off".

When I hit the button on the KPL in question it triggers the scene and the LED responds as expected as do all the other KPLs. It's just when the scene is triggered from another controller that it doesn't respond. Since I replaced this KPL is it possible that the scene is somehow corrupted?

Just to be sure, you have one or more other controllers in the same scene as Dining room KPL button B and none of the other controllers light the button when you turn them on?

Do other devices in the scene respond correctly?

What is the result if you turn the scene on from the Admin Console?

All of the buttons in the scene light and turn off when the scene is triggered on or off respectively except for the new Dining room KPL button B. Its led stays in its current state unless the scene is triggered from that button specifically and then the LED turns off and on, (ie a local press of the button is the only thing that toggles the LED on that button).

As a test, create a scene with only the problematic button as a responder and any one other device as a controller. Does the button respond when the scene is turned on and off from the admin Console? from the controlling device?

99% of the KPL buttons are in the usual factory setting (on/off)

I have two KPL buttons that are in non toggle off but they aren't part of the issues here.

I have a program like that but it seems to not be 100% accurate.

Basement G Off - [iD 0009][Parent 0001]

If

Status 'Andrew's Office-Office' is not Off

Or Status 'Basement Hall' is not Off

Or Status 'Basement KPL-Living Room' is not Off

Or Status 'Lamp Left' is not Off

Or Status 'Lamp Right' is not Off

Or Status 'Rocking Chair Lamp' is not Off

Or Status 'Theatre Room' is not Off

Or Status 'Turtle' is not Off

Then

Set Scene 'Basement LED' On

Else

Set Scene 'Basement LED' Off

Sometimes the LED is lit even though no lights are on.

(the KPL button that stays lit is also the KPL button that triggers the basement scene)

To be clearer,

One KPL button when turned on turns on three lights in the basement.

When its turned off it shuts off all basement lights regardless if they were in the scene.

It usually accomplishes this but the LED on the KPL button is sometimes left lit.

I wonder if its because of slow ramp rates on the lights?

hmmmm.. something tells me that logic doesn't work.

If I use

... Control XXXX is NOT switched off

it will run the else section when an Off control is received.

However if use status

....Status is NOT off

won't it run the Else section when the status if NOT off?

I don't think that applies the same logic but I would try

...Status >= 1%

for each line and see what happens.

I know there is some discrepancies between some devices using "0%" or "Off" not triggering properly but I can't remember which devices were involved, or the correct logic, that has to be used in each case.

BTW; You need a Wait in the then section before turning on the LED, especially if any of these lights are turned on by a battery operated Insteon device.

I just had my first ALL ON in three years and the cause is felt to be just that...a battery operated Insteon device sending out multiple signals, like they do, and a program turning on a KPL LED simultaneously.

yeah it was 2:15 AM and a few dozen lights went full on. WAF was real low when it woke her up.

Hi Larry;

I tried your idea of Status >= 1%

I went upstairs and pressed my KPL G to turn on the scene, went downstairs and shut off all the lights.

When I came back upstairs the LED was still lit.

​This seems like a simple program. I don't understand why it doesn't work.

I have a problem getting the KPL LED to correctly reflect the status of a device.

for instance, when I turn on the KPL G button it turns on the lamps downstairs. I also have those lamps to be triggered by a KPL button downstairs (separate KPL than the one we're discussing)

​When I went downstairs to shut everything else off the KPL LED wasn't lit. I have to press the KPL to 'turn on' the lamps that are already on to shut them off.

Drew

As a test, create a scene with only the problematic button as a responder and any one other device as a controller. Does the button respond when the scene is turned on and off from the admin Console? from the controlling device?

Hi Stu;

I tried this and the LED responds perfectly when triggered by the Admin console

Drew

One at a time, remove devices from the original scene and add them to the 'button' scene. Test each time with each added device. Any success? Is there a point where it stops working?

Just to be clear,

Take one device out of the original ALL OFF scene and add it to the new Button test scene.

Then try the ALL OFF KPL button to check the original.

And then check the BUTTON TEST from the Admin Console.

Repeat until I find an issue with the BUTTON test scene or the ALL OFF KPL scene responds the way it should

Drew

This seems like a simple program. I don't understand why it doesn't work.

I agree.  I don't think it is a program problem.  For some reason, I expect the ISY is not seeing an accurate status of all your devices. 

When you find the KPL is not OFF when you expect, I would go into the admin console and see if the ISY thinks one of your trigger devices is ON when, in fact, it is OFF.

Archived