What is the subscription fees for the isy portal?

Blackbird

I guess it's not for me then.

When I pay money for something I like to see an object that I own, not rent.

I only pay about $3 per day for electricity

I only pay about $2 per day for natural gas to heat my house

I only pay about $3 per for satellite TV

I only pay about $3 per day to get some exercise at a gym

I only pay about $2 per day for gasoline to drive my car

I only pay about $8 per day to own a car

I only pay about $2 per day to maintain my car working

I only pay about $6 per day for insurance

I only pay about $5 per day for coffee and soft drinks

I only pay about $3 per day for phones

I only pay about $2 per day for Internet service

I only pay about $15 per day for property taxes

I only pay about $10 per day for a yearly vacation

I only pay about $3 per day for clothes on my back

I only pay about $30 per day for food to eat

I only pay about $3 per day for hobbies and entertainment

I only pay about $10 per day to insure my car, home and lives

I only pay about $2 per day for licenses and taxes to drive and exist

I only pay about $5 per day for health care

I only pay about $0.50 per day for haircuts

The list goes on with "for only pennies per day" that somehow adds up to about $60-80K per year.

I don't typically pay for software that only lasts for a short time. Been there, done that with many packages running $3-600 that promised forever but it was a lie when they changed their minds.

You're not really paying for software in the case of the portal. The ISY is functional without it. You're paying for the portal service, to be able to interface with other services you would otherwise be able to (or at least not economically).

Yeah it sucks, but only you can decide if the cost is worth the value it provides to you given the features it makes available.

My personal preference is to self-host as much as I can, and try to stay away from products with cloud dependencies, but certain sectors are just really difficult to do well without the horse power of tons of servers and the massive data sets that thousands of users provide (ie. natural voice recognition).

I for one am staying away from Echo. I will probably check out Mycroft when it comes out. While it still depends on cloud services, at least the device code is open source and I trust their intentions a little more than Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

You're not really paying for software in the case of the portal. The ISY is functional without it. You're paying for the portal service, to be able to interface with other services you would otherwise be able to (or at least not economically).

Yeah it sucks, but only you can decide if the cost is worth the value it provides to you given the features it makes available.

My personal preference is to self-host as much as I can, and try to stay away from products with cloud dependencies, but certain sectors are just really difficult to do well without the horse power of tons of servers and the massive data sets that thousands of users provide (ie. natural voice recognition).

I for one am staying away from Echo. I will probably check out Mycroft when it comes out. While it still depends on cloud services, at least the device code is open source and I trust their intentions a little more than Amazon.

Did you look at the respeaker hardware on kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seeed/respeaker-an-open-modular-voice-interface-to-hack

Wow Larry,

You're one cheap SOB - only $0.50 for a hair cut?!? You have to live a little and go to ultra Cuts!

It's only $2.00 for old guy discount! I do have to take issue with your $5.00 for coffee & soda though.

That could have avoided the bowl cut your sporting!

Here's a guy calling someone cheap who's growing his own lettuce in a jar B)

This is what I've been up to this week.

0b70da6031be54342d2e55ba04b50ec7.jpg

I took a look at it today, and while it looks very interesting, it seems to be too hobbyist-level for me. I'm looking for a product I can add functionality onto, not one where I have to write most of it myself. Also looks a little underpowered compared to the RPI in Mycroft, and runs a lightweight OS stack (OpenWRT) vs the relatively full stack on Mycroft.

I took a look at it today, and while it looks very interesting, it seems to be too hobbyist-level for me. I'm looking for a product I can add functionality onto, not one where I have to write most of it myself. Also looks a little underpowered compared to the RPI in Mycroft, and runs a lightweight OS stack (OpenWRT) vs the relatively full stack on Mycroft.

No problem just trying to help. I also backed it but want to wait and see first. Plus not sure if there's a need since I do own two Amazon DOTS.

Archived