Broadband over power lines

Techman

Press release from AT&T this morning.  Can broadband peacefully co-exist with Insteon powerline signals?

AT&T has discovered a new way to deliver high-speed broadband over electrical power lines, a method it claims would make it cheaper and easier to bring internet to hard-to-reach places. The company has filed patents for the technology and is looking for a place to conduct field trials next year. Even if it goes well, AT&T warned it would still be several years before the system is commercially available.

I thought this was very old technology from the 90s but haven't heard of it ever actually used for the public.

So much for signals not being transformed by the distribution transformers. :)

This was used in my area for water heater control back in the 1950s and 1960s. The old mechanical receiver systems were a PITA and all got removed early 1970s.

I know the former Milton Hydro was talking about doing public trials of this about 10 years ago, but I don't think it ever went anywhere. Power lines are a pretty hostile environment, especially when you're trying to transmit over long distances.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It could impact depending on the PLC frequency used for broadband data. AMI meters transmit their data down the powerlines today, but I think that's 12khz, and insteon is 131khz.  

I've had 2 AMI meters on my house for a few years and not noticed a problem.  I do have the PZZ01 Blocking Coupler on the panel, that may be a factor, not sure.

Yes, read that the other day but the technology isn't new its based on millimeter wave. The strength in their proposal is that this same technology can be adapted to *Existing* infrastructure which avoids the common cost of direct burial of copper / fiber. Power lines exist everywhere and as the article I read notes it would allow those who don't have high speed internet to have said public service.

The difference between their attempt is it would inject WiFi / Cellular into the air vs actually providing a person a hard line. There are obvious pros and cons with using wireless considering its solely reliant on the grid to be operational. The greatest benefit I see to this (old) repurposed technology is that it will help promote more competition.

As many northern communities have been known to get raped over the coals just for basic essentials. As a foot note the data does NOT traverse the powerline. 

230kV lines are harder to hack into. :)

LOL, what?

For those not aware ATT's proposal hinges on hardware being mounted to the power line. Essentially this will act as a AP / cellular repeater of sorts.

The data does NOT transverse the power line . . .

LOL, what?

For those not aware ATT's proposal hinges on hardware being mounted to the power line. Essentially this will act as a AP / cellular repeater of sorts.

The data does NOT transverse the power line . . .

Why do they use hinges? :)

What is the technique/technology? Fibreoptic?

Why do they use hinges? :)

What is the technique/technology? Fibreoptic?

LOL, what again?!?

Based on the news article that I read a few days ago they stated hardware will be mounted at intervals they determine to ensure enough coverage. These devices are in a laymen's way is a ISP AP / Cellular relay. When I read what these things do it just seems to me its some random guy who is stealing power from the main lines and then installing hardware to emit and receive data?!?!

I don't see why that is ingenious its just stepped down to allow it to be powered. Now having said this the millimeter wave RF they state it uses is different. But it comes across to me like any other new spec like wireless AC or what ever. The problem that people need to realize is what the impact is on the human body.

There have been tons of articles and long term tests all of which have been suppressed by the POCO's because if anyone could prove EMI can harm a person.

Americans would be lined up in court until 3069!

Archived