Motion sensor triggering a bell with a Wait - how to prevent multiple executions

ctownj30

This seems like such a simple problem but I'm stumped.  I've got an Insteon motion sensor that watches my driveway.  It is set to only send On commands.  When it senses motion I want it to ring a bell once (the bell part is all working fine), which I do so like this:

Set 'Kitchen.Den / Bell Relay' On
        Wait  4 seconds

When motion is detected, I want it to run that sequence only once for any 30 second period.  I'm having trouble creating a program that suppresses any addition motion senses from ringing the bell within 30 sec of the first bell ring.

I won't confuse this by posting code for the various things I've tried; but needing to use the WAIT causes my If to be re-evaluated which messes up my attempts to set variables and such to stop subsequent bell rings - this seems like a simple problem so hopefully someone has a simple solution.

Thanks - djm

Hi djm - I would suggest 2 programs, no variables. The second program disables the first for the amount of time you specify to stop the motion sensor detection from starting the program over again.

MotionSensed

If Motion sensor is switched on

Then

Run Program 'BellRelay' (then path)

else

BellRelay

if

then

Disable Program 'MotionSensed'

Wait  4 seconds
        Wait ??? minutes or seconds (to stop it from happening for a while)  
        Enable Program 'MotionSensed
     else

The second program has no if clause and does not need it. You probably don't have to, but I would disable BellRelay so it doesn't run on its own, just when called by MotionSensed 

Paul

NP, please let us know how that worked.

Its true that the ISY thinks much more like an industrial event driven controller, and can not afford the luxuries of a full development language.

The general 2 program approach outlined above is a common way to do things for me. I had to learn from others here on the forums to look at things this way. It does build up the number of programs, so program naming and folders become important to keep your sanity

Paul

Archived