Green arrow beside KPL

Hi guys;

I have a green arrow beside each of the KPL buttons (of a particular KPL) in the ISY

I know they're to signify "write updates to device" but when I try they remain.

There is an access point below the KPL (I mention that because I have no issues with any other devices and am troubleshooting)

Could that be interfering?

I could try to air gap it but was wondering if I need the Access Point still.

I know most new devices are dual band so would they not do the job of the access points?

Drew

Hi guys;

I have a green arrow beside each of the KPL buttons (of a particular KPL) in the ISY

I know they're to signify "write updates to device" but when I try they remain.

There is an access point below the KPL (I mention that because I have no issues with any other devices and am troubleshooting)

Could that be interfering?

I could try to air gap it but was wondering if I need the Access Point still.

I know most new devices are dual band so would they not do the job of the access points?

Drew

Hello Drew,

If your Insteon network has grown and expanded to use more dual band hardware you may not need any AP / RE's. Having said this if your home uses metal JB to house the devices plugin AP / RE's still offer tremendous RF to Power Line translation benefits.

I would start with a 10 second air gap and see what happens once you complete the write update device and report back your success / failure.

NOTE: You must ensure your home is properly coupled - bridged using the 4 tap beacon test as outlined in the full users manual. 

What you're likely seeing is 1011 (not an arrow). That does indicate a communication error. Sometimes it helps if you select Restore Device before Write Updates to Device. It's unlikely that an Access Point is interfering, but with a bunch of dual-band devices installed, I removed all my Access Points/Range Extenders and I do have mostly metal boxes.

Also, removing any unnecessary hardware reduces the total load and energy consumption which translates to lower monthly costs. Most of the older Insteon (single band) hardware consumed >1 watts - for a home with 100- 200 hardwired devices that is a steady state 200 watts which you can not do anything about.

That is a lot of standby energy consumption and for those paying crazy ToU fee's.

Archived