I have this program

Kitchen Dim - [iD 000B][Parent 0001]

If
        Status  'Kitchen Sink' is Off
    And Control 'Kitchen Sink' is switched Off

Then
        Set Scene 'Kitchen Dim' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Works great.

Ktichen Dim Off - [iD 0008][Parent 0001]

If
        Program 'Kitchen Dim' is True
    And Control 'Kitchen Sink' is switched Off

Then
        Set Scene 'Kitchen Dim' Off

Else

This doesn't seem to do what I want (which is to shut the three lights off in the above program)

I'm not sure where I went wrong

Drew

In your first program, when activated, it turns your light on dim...now it is not off, causing  the else section to run and your first program to become False.

As an alternative you can just detect the dim signal from the switchlinc and run the scene.

You can shut them all off with a double tap off which causes a more universal feeling to the operations for users.

Long tap down for dimming.

Single tap down for Off

Double tap down for more Offs

I try to keep this fairly consistent throughout my house for better WAF and my own memory. The same applies for tap up.

The programs become a lot simpler and do not require any status checking anywhere.

I note that both programs are triggered by, among other things, a common condition "control kitchen sink off".  I do wonder if we have some loops going on here, but my best guess is that this is NOT a programming issue.

Run your first program normally (tapping on necessary switches).  Once run, execute the second program from the admin panel by "run>>then path".  Do your lights turn off as expected, or do some stay on?

When I execute the OFF from the run>then path it shuts off correctly.

I do note that sometimes there are conditions that don't let the program (ON program) run properly.

If all the lights are off the program doesn't run. Or turn on only one of the three lights.

I sometimes have to turn on another light in the scene to get the ON program to execute properly.

Is this line noise (please say no) or is it a loop in my program because I have the same trigger for both programs?

Should I have the OFF program be 

If

light A is not off

or light B is not off

or light C is not off

and kitchen sink is switched off

then

Shut scene ABC off

Hi Guys;

I just simplified the program to this.

Ktichen Dim Off - [iD 0008][Parent 0001]

If
        Control 'Kitchen Sink' is switched Off

Then
        Set Scene 'Kitchen Dim' Off

Else

It doesn't take into account if anything is true or false, it just shuts off the three kitchen lights regardless of state.
Probably not the best fix but it'll do until I can figure out why such a simple program didn't work.

Drew

Just a a point of interest, scenes do not have to be turn off.

I use scenes with all devices Off and call them "All Off" etc..

Now when you want the lights Off you turn the ALL OFF scene ON.

Sounds screwball but it has big advantages. Naming/labelling is an art and has to be descriptive.

Since I use about 8 different scenes in my gathering room I chose not to turn off one scene. The scenes involve contain different lights and turning it Off would miss a light set and leave it on.

Also now my scenes are modularly independent. If I change one it only affects that scene and not some other program that **secretly depends on it.

...**forgot it existed from a few years ago, when I designed it

It doesn't take into account if anything is true or false, it just shuts off the three kitchen lights regardless of state.
Probably not the best fix but it'll do until I can figure out why such a simple program didn't work.

I have never seen a problem with that approach.  Yes, maybe you are sending out an occasional unnecessary OFF command, but is there really any harm in this?  In exchange, you get improved simplicity and reliability.  I use this method every day, and it is well worth the trade, in my estimation.  

Still, I, too, am curious about your original programs.  Were this me, I would be watching the kitchen dim program to make sure it is TRUE and FALSE when you expect.  I missed where you described the devices that are in scene "kitchen dim", so I can only assume there could be something in there that may be triggering some of your programs unexpectedly. 

Archived