Any issues to have insteon in all apartment

Shouldn't. Although it's likely they will all repeat for each other, even across apartments. Only time you'll have an issue is if two devices share the same address - and yes this has happened before (reportedly)

a friend of mine bought a building of 8 apartments and wants me to put insteon switch and keypad with isy994 in every apartment (8 apartments)

will I have issues?

like interference or anything?

thanks! :-)

Wow! Is this some new selling feature he is trying?

Must be in California. Here mentioning that would scare people to the other side of the province.

Sounds ambitious.

If he's not giving every apartment dweller access to manage their ISY, he could likely get by with a single ISY994pro to handle the entire apartment complex.    That would give him a 'single pane of glass' management interface for the entire deployment.

Single ISY for multiple apartments? No way, no how!  Not only is that going to cause all manner of programming conflicts and challenges, I would suspect that a renter would be able to argue that the log data in the ISY (containing a detailed log of every light switch on/off event, etc) might constitute private data -- and that would open a huge can of worms in terms of privacy laws, security of the ISY, etc, etc.

Regarding and ISY per apartment -- unless the renters are devoted "hackers", that would just end up with tech support call after tech support call for the landlord or manager.  Not a good fit.

Single ISY for multiple apartments? No way, no how!  Not only is that going to cause all manner of programming conflicts and challenges, I would suspect that a renter would be able to argue that the log data in the ISY (containing a detailed log of every light switch on/off event, etc) might constitute private data -- and that would open a huge can of worms in terms of privacy laws, security of the ISY, etc, etc.

Regarding and ISY per apartment -- unless the renters are devoted "hackers", that would just end up with tech support call after tech support call for the landlord or manager.  Not a good fit.

LOL!

Maybe it's the old printer sales ploy. Give 'em the printer free, and sell them the overpriced ink?

LOL!

Maybe it's the old printer sales ploy. Give 'em the printer free, and sell them the overpriced ink?

Ooh - you mean the landlord would CHARGE for programming the switches and devices?  I actually didn't think of that - but that might actually be a reasonable business model!  Perhaps a very basic set of default programming would be the "base config" that comes with the rent, and customization available from the price list... not necessarily a bad idea at all.  Pay for convenience.

For a measure of security, all ISYs should be connected to a single secured Ethernet switch, preferably not connected to the internet, that is, totally LAN.

Archived