Smarthome help

James Peterson

I am hoping someone here can help me out.  I have been trying to get my app (Agave) listed on and as an option for the ISY on the smarthome website.  I have had communication and with a few people there and have had our very own Michel K. give the go ahead with them.  It has been over a month now and I get the impression that they have a close relationship with Wes and do not want to step on his work.  I don't know if any of your have relationships or influence at smarthome, but I could really use the help.

I'd really like to get opinions about this.  Am I wrong for assuming that this should not have been a big deal?  

I haven't track your efforts in the application for very long but the first thing that comes to mind is:

- Is your application fully ready for public consumption? By this I don't mean its in a Alpha / Beta state.

- Does your application support fully all of the Insteon hardware currently for sale?

- Have you engaged their PR / Sales department regarding your application?

- Smarthome historically is extremely slow in almost everything they do - I wouldn't take the lack communications as a final indicator.

I haven't track your efforts in the application for very long but the first thing that comes to mind is:

- Is your application fully ready for public consumption? By this I don't mean its in a Alpha / Beta state.

- Does your application support fully all of the Insteon hardware currently for sale?

- Have you engaged their PR / Sales department regarding your application?

- Smarthome historically is extremely slow in almost everything they do - I wouldn't take the lack communications as a final indicator.

Yes. It's ready.

It supports everything the ISY supports.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Yes, it is android only.  And as far as I can tell, I am on par or better in some cases then the android version of ML.  I will be pushing ELK support in the coming weeks (hopefully before black friday) so I can get prepped for holiday giveaways that I want to do.  ML for android has sat stagnant for years and while many android apps have come and gone, I intend on pushing forward.  

Yes. It's ready.

It supports everything the ISY supports.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

His website indicates otherwise - *More to come*

• LED Lights
  • On/Off Switch Relay Control
  • Thermostats Monitoring and Adjustment
  • Customizable I/O Linc Sensor and Relay Control
  • Triggerlinc Sensors
  • Motion Sensor Monitoring (2420 verified)
  • Smoke Sensors
  • EZFlora Lawn Sprinklers
  • More to come

His website indicates otherwise - *More to come*

• LED Lights
  • On/Off Switch Relay Control
  • Thermostats Monitoring and Adjustment
  • Customizable I/O Linc Sensor and Relay Control
  • Triggerlinc Sensors
  • Motion Sensor Monitoring (2420 verified)
  • Smoke Sensors
  • EZFlora Lawn Sprinklers
  • More to come
One of those More to come is Elk, which is in Beta. And there is the secret stuff.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

May I ask that you consider simply indicating what hardware you support instead? 

ie. 2477D, 2477S, etc

Doing so provides clarity and avoids possible ambiguity.

Well if you would like to fund my development and provide me with a sample Insteon device of every type and model I would be glad to test them all.  As I can not do this, generalities have to be made.  I would gather that not even ML has given this information so I question why I alone would be required and no other.  

As it stands I have had a fully functional all for 6 months now and as any issues arise I address them.  From and insteon standpoint, most classes of devices act and respond very similar.  I have crafted an app that takes most differences into account and have had very positive feedback.  There will always be issues and I will address them.  I can not say the same for other android ISY apps.  

Well if you would like to fund my development and provide me with a sample Insteon device of every type and model I would be glad to test them all.  As I can not do this, generalities have to be made.  I would gather that not even ML has given this information so I question why I alone would be required and no other.  

As it stands I have had a fully functional all for 6 months now and as any issues arise I address them.  From and insteon standpoint, most classes of devices act and respond very similar.  I have crafted an app that takes most differences into account and have had very positive feedback.  There will always be issues and I will address them.  I can not say the same for other android ISY apps.  

My ask was to indicate what Insteon hardware you currently support - and that same information should be clearly listed in your advert.

Are you suggesting a potential buyer should not be aware of what your software supports?

Your reply to me, is that I should fund your development?!? 

My ask was to indicate what Insteon hardware you currently support - and that same information should be clearly listed in your advert.

Are you suggesting a potential buyer should not be aware of what your software supports?

Simply use the list that UDI publushes.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Why are you busting James chops?  Do you have a personnel problem with him or you are just trying to hurt him by spreading doubt about his app?  Have you even tried it?  If so what does not work?

• 4 weeks later...

May I ask that you consider simply indicating what hardware you support instead? 

ie. 2477D, 2477S, etc

Doing so provides clarity and avoids possible ambiguity.

Maybe the list is just too dynamic adding too much overhead to the development. UDI tends to keep this list secret from it's potential customers also, despite a good track record for support of so many devices.

The Dreamware marketting aspect seems to work for many other developers, these days. Many put out a blank box and people just dream what cool features it might have.

Mark it down as, a nice to have marketing tool, but not likely to have, and many potentiall customers may just go elsewhere, to other protocols, due to not wanting to dream and guess, when it comes to spending money. *SIGH*

Just maybe the technique catches more "dreamers" hoping for an amazing product supporting everything, than there are "apprehensives" out there. Millenials vs. GenX? :)

Archived