Cannot Set Temp on Thermostat (Insteon 2441th) with Echo Dot

BigEfromDaBx

Just purchased an echo dot.  Works great.  Trying to control my Thermostat (Insteon 2441th).  I followed the instructions on this http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/19246-need-beta-testers-for-smart-home-api-v2/ which had me update to ISY Optimized for Smart Home V2.  But when I say "Set [device] temperature to [##] degrees." I get the following error "that command doesnt work on device t Thermostat".  I can only shut if off via "Turn off [device]"

Just purchased an echo dot.  Works great.  Trying to control my Thermostat (Insteon 2441th).  I followed the instructions on this http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/19246-need-beta-testers-for-smart-home-api-v2/ which had me update to ISY Optimized for Smart Home V2.  But when I say "Set [device] temperature to [##] degrees." I get the following error "that command doesnt work on device t Thermostat".  I can only shut if off via "Turn off [device]"

Can you set the temperature from ISY in a program?

I just figured this out today with my venstar t1800 thermostat with insteon adapter 2441V.  I really hope this helps you!

I have discovered that ISY (through the admin console) is unable to change the heat/cool temperature when in program auto, program heat, or program cool mode.  Somehow, mobilinc changes the temperature properly while in program auto mode, but the admin console isn't capable of this.  I guess that's a lucky side-effect of mobilinc doing something unexpected, maybe, but I got used to it and hoped that alexa could do the same thing... oh well, the good news is that it is still possible to make the thermostat and alexa work together.

The workaround is setting the thermostat to auto (not program auto) (or set it to heat or cool).  If I'm in any of the "program" modes, I have to say "alexa turn thermostat off," then "alexa set thermostat to xx degrees."  In Off, Heat, Cool, or Auto mode, everything is working great!  Auto mode adjusts both heat and cool temps equally when you ask it to increase or decrease the setpoint, which I like.  As I see the echo as more of a novelty right now, this isn't a big deal for me at the moment, but I would really like it if the isy was capable of adjusting the thermostat temp when in any of the "program" modes, as I like to change the temp sometimes knowing that at the next time that is programmed into the thermostat itself, everything will get set back to what it would normally be at that time.

I have programs runnning all day that set the temperature on my thermostat at different times of the day.

Are to trying to vocal control a program or directly to the device?

I doubt the Echo interface supports analogues other than light levels.

The direct temperatures I have used successfully were only other skills that connect direct to the manufacturer's cloud support, not the ISY skill.

Try a simple higher or lower program. If you are using v5.0.x you can read the setpoint into a variable, increment it and write it back. My inc/decrement temperature ISY functions have never worked for my two 2441ZTH units. Actually no ISY functions work for my newer unit.

I just figured this out today with my venstar t1800 thermostat with insteon adapter 2441V.  I really hope this helps you!

I have discovered that ISY (through the admin console) is unable to change the heat/cool temperature when in program auto, program heat, or program cool mode.  Somehow, mobilinc changes the temperature properly while in program auto mode, but the admin console isn't capable of this.  I guess that's a lucky side-effect of mobilinc doing something unexpected, maybe, but I got used to it and hoped that alexa could do the same thing... oh well, the good news is that it is still possible to make the thermostat and alexa work together.

The workaround is setting the thermostat to auto (not program auto) (or set it to heat or cool).  If I'm in any of the "program" modes, I have to say "alexa turn thermostat off," then "alexa set thermostat to xx degrees."  In Off, Heat, Cool, or Auto mode, everything is working great!  Auto mode adjusts both heat and cool temps equally when you ask it to increase or decrease the setpoint, which I like.  As I see the echo as more of a novelty right now, this isn't a big deal for me at the moment, but I would really like it if the isy was capable of adjusting the thermostat temp when in any of the "program" modes, as I like to change the temp sometimes knowing that at the next time that is programmed into the thermostat itself, everything will get set back to what it would normally be at that time.

My thermostat is never set to auto.  Its set to cool being that I live in Miami i dont use Heat :).  See Snap

post-3507-0-40275800-1480712654_thumb.jpg

Are to trying to vocal control a program or directly to the device?

I doubt the Echo interface supports analogues other than light levels.

The direct temperatures I have used successfully were only other skills that connect direct to the manufacturer's cloud support, not the ISY skill.

Try a simple higher or lower program. If you are using v5.0.x you can read the setpoint into a variable, increment it and write it back. My inc/decrement temperature ISY functions have never worked for my two 2441ZTH units. Actually no ISY functions work for my newer unit.

Im not doing it with a program.  See snapshot

post-3507-0-38577300-1480712789_thumb.jpg

My thermostat is never set to auto.  Its set to cool being that I live in Miami i dont use Heat :).  See Snap

Is it set to "cool" or "program cool"?  Maybe your interface/modes are different as I only have the venstar adapter and not an insteon thermostat.  Hopefully my previous reply helps someone else with the venstar adapter at least.

If the mode is "off," then you say "alexa, set (device name) to xx degrees," does it turn on to the setpoint?

*edit, your first screenshot wasn't there originally, which now answers my question.

I think your problem is that you are trying to control the cool node, but you need to control the main node.

Im not doing it with a program. See snapshot

I doubt that is supported from the Alexa skill.

IIRC this was discussed in a former thread.

A good request for features to UDI would be have the skill able to set a variable. Then people could detect the change in any ISY program and do whatever they wanted with it. A solution for all devices and applications.

You win! :)

I have never used Alexa with my thermostats. My ISY adjusts them automatically (with draught compensations based on house windchill) with deviations from my programmed schedule and I only have to make a manual adjustment about twice per year.

I am also using Celsius temperatures and Echo cannot handle fractions or decimals so it's is kind of useless for me with full degree jumps.

Keep trying and best of luck. You will get there.

You win! :)

I have never used Alexa with my thermostats. My ISY adjusts them automatically with deviations from my programmed schedule and I only have to make a manual adjustment about twice per year.

I am also using Celsius temperatures and Echo cannot handle fractions of decimals so it's is kind of useless for me with full degree jumps.

Keep trying and best of luck. You will get there.

I have this skill working with a different thermostat.  Please try what I suggested.  The skill can't control the heating or cooling nodes, you have to set it up with only the "main" node.  This is what works for me.  I just got it going about 2 hours ago.

I have this skill working with a different thermostat.  Please try what I suggested.  The skill can't control the heating or cooling nodes, you have to set it up with only the "main" node.  This is what works for me.  I just got it going about 2 hours ago.

That could be managed with programs name correctly to change heating/cooling also.

I just don't have a need for it and don't want to risk the security problem having my thermostat changed by guests or grandchildren.

That could be managed with programs name correctly to change heating/cooling also.

I just don't have a need for it and don't want to risk the security problem having my thermostat changed by guests or grandchildren.

larryllix, I couldn't agree with you more, your setup is significantly more advanced/awesome than mine, I just wanted to see if I could get it to work and probably never use it again... i'm more than happy with the programs I have directly in the thermostat itself

my comments were directed towards the OP, I'm 90% certain that his problem is that he's asking alexa to control the wrong node of the thermostat...

*edit, I shouldn't have quoted you on that previous reply, my apologies as that definitely made it look directed towards you

larryllix, I couldn't agree with you more, your setup is significantly more advanced/awesome than mine, I just wanted to see if I could get it to work and probably never use it again... i'm more than happy with the programs I have directly in the thermostat itself

my comments were directed towards the OP, I'm 90% certain that his problem is that he's asking alexa to control the wrong node of the thermostat...

*edit, I shouldn't have quoted you on that previous reply, my apologies as that definitely made it look directed towards you

I kind of wondered and was going to mention that but busy running out the door to do chores in my garage which I have been avoiding. Now it is starting to snow and my snowblower will be stuck behind a tonne of stuff...LOL

Gotta' love forums with the confusions of wording and meanings. LOL

I kind of wondered and was going to mention that but busy running out the door to do chores in my garage which I have been avoiding. Now it is starting to snow and my snowblower will be stuck behind a tonne of stuff...LOL

Gotta' love forums with the confusions of wording and meanings. LOL

yep, thanks for your understanding, now let's hope we can help the OP get his echo working with ISY/insteon tstat.

@toflaherty Dude.  You hit it right on the nose.  It works perfect now.  I set it to control the main, deleted the cool and added my spoken commands.  But when I told alexa to change the thermostat to the temperature I wanted it got stuck and said that there was more than one device named thermostat found.  So i knew I was getting closer.   So what I did was I went into my alexa app on my iphone.  I chose forget all devices and groups and tried again and it WORKED :)

Thanks Dude.  you rock.  Thanks to everyone else trying to help me out also.

Almost forgot to include my new snapshot.

post-3507-0-17559400-1480715389_thumb.jpg

@toflaherty Dude.  You hit it right on the nose.  It works perfect now.  I set it to control the main, deleted the cool and added my spoken commands.  But when I told alexa to change the thermostat to the temperature I wanted it got stuck and said that there was more than one device named thermostat found.  So i knew I was getting closer.   So what I did was I went into my alexa app on my iphone.  I chose forget all devices and groups and tried again and it WORKED :)

Thanks Dude.  you rock.  Thanks to everyone else trying to help me out also.

Yes, get in the habit of forgetting everything and adding everything, because discovering devices only adds, it doesn't check what is no longer there and remove it, just adds... this is an amazon/alexa app problem.  Happy to help.

I'm curious if you have the same problems as me, if you could please check, where any "program" mode doesn't work.

Yes, get in the habit of forgetting everything and adding everything, because discovering devices only adds, it doesn't check what is no longer there and remove it, just adds... this is an amazon/alexa app problem.  Happy to help.

I'm curious if you have the same problems as me, if you could please check, where any "program" mode doesn't work.

Where exactly do you want me to check for that?

Where exactly do you want me to check for that?

change your thermostat from "cool" mode to "program cool" if you have it

also, having temperature as a spoken word for your thermostat might hurt the alexa functionality of asking it what the temperature is, i'd suggest sticking with air conditioning/thermostat

change your thermostat from "cool" mode to "program cool" if you have it

also, having temperature as a spoken word for your thermostat might hurt the alexa functionality of asking it what the temperature is, i'd suggest sticking with air conditioning/thermostat

Is this what you are looking for?  See snapshot.  I will remove the "Temperature" from the spoken words.

Im going to best buy to by another echo dot.  BRB LOL

post-3507-0-75806700-1480716069_thumb.jpg

Is this what you are looking for?  See snapshot.  I will remove the "Temperature" from the spoken words.

Im going to best buy to by another echo dot.  BRB LOL

yep exactly, i bet auto works, but program auto does not work

i got my first echo (dot) monday, ordered the second one tuesday... :)

Yes, get in the habit of forgetting everything and adding everything, because discovering devices only adds, it doesn't check what is no longer there and remove it, just adds... this is an amazon/alexa app problem. Happy to help.

Having read that I better check my device list to see if it has accumulated any garbage! :)

I know I had to clear the list out once but I didn't think it was a usual problem.

BTW: The "clear all" is at the bottom of the device list in the Alexa app. Dumb place to put an option at the bottom of hundreds of devices. *SIGH*

I have been getting some duplicate complaints, lately again.

Thanks for the reminder!

EDIT: Yup, I had a few duplicates, Some marked (offline) and a few that had old versions of my device names. I know this causes Alexa confusion with it asking "I found several devices with that name". This should clear that up again.

BTW: There is a sort by "name" at the top right of the list and you can see whay similar names you have installed to help troubleshoot this dup identification problem.

yep exactly, i bet auto works, but program auto does not work

i got my first echo (dot) monday, ordered the second one tuesday... :)

They have become unbelievably cheap now. My two Dots work much better than my Echo.

Maybe location away from the TV and maybe the height is too low and I talk down to her. They don't usually like that and you don't get lucky, as often, with the responses you get. :)

Archived