Cannot Set Temp on Thermostat (Insteon 2441th) with Echo Dot

BigEfromDaBx

BTW: The "clear all" is at the bottom of the device list in the Alexa app. Dumb place to put an option at the bottom of hundreds of devices. *SIGH*

I guess you forgot that the command at the bottom of the device list is "Forget All." I hope that's now clear B)

They have become unbelievably cheap now. My two Dots work much better than my Echo.

Maybe location away from the TV and maybe the height is too low and I talk down to her. They don't usually like that and you don't get lucky, as often, with the responses you get. :)

the biggest issue i have with any of my devices is recognizing the wake word... it's been nearly perfect as long as it wakes up in the first place

My inc/decrement temperature ISY functions have never worked for my two 2441ZTH units. Actually no ISY functions work for my newer unit.

Larry, FYI the native Venstar Alexa skill works very well for the Colortouch series, setting the temp or requesting higher / lower.

Paul

i wish I could turn a device off on or off in x ammount of minutes.  That would be nice :)

easily doable by turning a program on, then putting a wait in the then portion of that program

you could set up a bunch of programs with different waits for the most common delay times you use

the biggest issue i have with any of my devices is recognizing the wake word... it's been nearly perfect as long as it wakes up in the first place

Mine picks up the wake word from the TV and anywhere in the room.

When I use the wake word, it turns on and then points at the TV, even if there is no sound, then while I talk it turns off sometimes.

My guess is when I am above the open holes the arangement of holes and microphones hears an echo or something that makes it think I am somewhere else. Then it doesn't hear from that angle, when the selected microphone is turned on.

The dots are sitting higher, more at mouth level, mostly.

I sit right in front of my Echo, about 5 feet away, and yet the Dot across the room (about 20' away) will answer many times. If the TV sound is on the Echo is basically deaf to any voice. TV is not that loud but a very bassy speaker system.

Larry, FYI the native Venstar Alexa skill works very well for the Colortouch series, setting the temp or requesting higher / lower.

Paul

As above

No fractional degrees (for C), not required (very seldom have to adjust it), and don't trust the security (visitors like 6 YoA granddaughter).

Thanks

When I use the wake word, it turns on and then points at the TV, even if there is no sound, then while I talk it turns off sometimes.

My guess is when I am above the open holes the arangement of holes and microphones hears an echo or something that makes it think I am somewhere else. Then it doesn't hear from that angle, when the selected microphone is turned on.

I sit right in front of my Echo, about 5 feet away, and yet the Dot across the room (about 20' away) will answer many times. If the TV sound is on the Echo is basically deaf to any voice. TV is not that loud but a very bassy speaker system.

whoa, how do you identify which microphone is responding?

Mine wakes up pretty good.  I noticed that having the little alert when it wakes up screws up everything.  So I disabled it.

i wish I could turn a device off on or off in x ammount of minutes.  That would be nice :)

That is where the analogue value stuffed into an ISY variable would be an awesome feature.

I think Alexa needs to go another round of technology.

Things that don;t work.

Alexa. Set an alarm for 15 minutes saying...'get to work"

Alexa. Turn on the outside lights at 9 PM

Alexa. Turn off the outside lights in 15 minutes

Also I have found the hard way many time now the calendar events cannot be trusted. Alexa lies about the confirmed dates and times.

whoa, how do you identify which microphone is responding?

My son identified that one.

Watch the coloured LED ring on the top. It points at the direction it is listening to.

That is where the analogue value stuffed into an ISY variable would be an awesome feature.

I think Alexa needs to go another round of technology.

Things that don;t work.

Alexa. Set an alarm for 15 minutes saying...'get to work"

Alexa. Turn on the outside lights at 9 PM

Alexa. Turn off the outside lights in 15 minutes

Also I have found the hard way many time now the calendar events cannot be trusted. Alexa lies about the confirmed dates and times.

My son identified that one.

Watch the coloured LED ring on the top. It points at the direction it is listening to.

what an excellent observation, i never pay attention to the lights on top so wouldn't have noticed this

Is this what you are looking for?  See snapshot.  I will remove the "Temperature" from the spoken words.

Im going to best buy to by another echo dot.  BRB LOL

please let me know if in "auto" mode, if you ask to increase or decrease the temperature, both heat and cool change by a degree, but in "program auto" mode, it says the command doesn't work

change your thermostat from "cool" mode to "program cool" if you have it

also, having temperature as a spoken word for your thermostat might hurt the alexa functionality of asking it what the temperature is, i'd suggest sticking with air conditioning/thermostat

With "Temperature" can I ask alexa what temperature is my thermostat set to?  I think the mobilinc version does.  I would like to say something like "alex what is my thermostat temperature set to?"  This way I dont have to get up and look at the thermostat.

With "Temperature" can I ask alexa what temperature is my thermostat set to?  I think the mobilinc version does.  I would like to say something like "alex what is my thermostat temperature set to?"  This way I dont have to get up and look at the thermostat.

Not at this time. The built in Thermostat API is limited. Click on 'Temperature control messages'. 

https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/smart-home-skill-api-reference

The API will improve over time, and hopefully expand to allow control of Mode and Fan at a minimum

Paul

Archived