CAO Tags Into ISY W/O Portal

shannong

Greetings.

Is it possible to use CAO tags and get the data into an ISY variable without using ISY Portal? I prefer to not use cloud-connected services for HA/Security.

Yes

The CAO Tags use a Tag Manager module that has to check in with the cloud service to work though.

They provide a cloud website called KumoApp where you can write or copy code to stuff your ISY variables with temp, humidity, angleX,Y,Z, Battery voltage, motion, loss of signal, Illumination for some newer ones. These report by exceptions typically to keep traffic down. This is done via the ISY Rest interface. Very accurate and the Pro models can keep data for months without contact and then update like they were never gone.

They also report by many methods like email, push notifications, text messages, and vocals through their app on your mobile device.

Yes

The CAO Tags use a Tag Manager module that has to check in with the cloud service to work though.

They provide a cloud website called KumoApp where you can write or copy code to stuff your ISY variables with temp, humidity, angleX,Y,Z, Battery voltage, motion, loss of signal, Illumination for some newer ones. These report by exceptions typically to keep traffic down. This is done via the ISY Rest interface. Very accurate and the Pro models can keep data for months without contact and then update like they were never gone.

They also report by many methods like email, push notifications, text messages, and vocals through their app on your mobile device.

Do I have to expose my ISY to the internet for the KumoApp to talk to it directly? Or can I have something inside my network make the REST call to stuff the ISY variables?

Do I have to expose my ISY to the internet for the KumoApp to talk to it directly? Or can I have something inside my network make the REST call to stuff the ISY variables?

AFAIK it stuffs the variables from the cloud service.

So yes a port forward has to be done in your router.

Many of us have this working for the last year or two. I have four tags. Scott has a bunch as well as MWareman would wrote the original code found in one of the threads about this.

They work very well and easy to implement with many different ways to get notifications.

Scott has the Tag manager accessing his honeywell thermostats that they added a hook in it, for.

The Tag Manager is yet another LAN based "hub" and "dials home" to their cloud service

http://techiq.welchwrite.com/2012/08/an-of-things-starts-with-tempmotion.html

It's been hard with so many conflicting statements out there to determine exactly where all the storage and smarts are done from. I only know when you unplug your Internet connection on the ISP side of the router, the tags stop working into ISY on the LAN.

CAO claims this is because they do many calculations to linearise the temperature sensor and other sensors. Sounds like mostly BS, to me.

It's been hard with so many conflicting statements out there to determine exactly where all the storage and smarts are done from. I only know when you unplug your Internet connection on the ISP side of the router, the tags stop working into ISY on the LAN.

CAO claims this is because they do many calculations to linearise the temperature sensor and other sensors. Sounds like mostly BS, to me.

Larry

I could see that, its more of a peer to the Echo, Nest and Ecobee from that perspective...device provides data to a service that does processing, crunching and storing.... Do as much coding as practical on the server side so that the device requires fewer resources and fewer FW updates.

You had to open a port in your router from the tag manager to get it to work? What port does it use?

Paul

The Kumoapp example I posted a while ago sends the data from the tag manager to the ISY internal to the network (as long as the tag manager and ISY are on the same network). This does not need a port forward at all, nor does it require the network module or any portal.

Larry

I could see that, its more of a peer to the Echo, Nest and Ecobee from that perspective...device provides data to a service that does processing, crunching and storing.... Do as much coding as practical on the server side so that the device requires fewer resources and fewer FW updates.

You had to open a port in your router from the tag manager to get it to work? What port does it use?

Paul

Sorry...confusion there.

No port forwarding is required to use the Tag manager to work with the tags.

Port forwarding is required to allow the KumoAppa code to stuff variables into ISY through the native router firewall.

This is incorrect! The KumoApp code talks through it's own portal to the Tag manager that stuffs ISY variables, via your LAN. No prot forwarding required. (Thanks MWareman)

I believe the simple threshold notifications come from inside the Tag manager (but still require cloud "approval") and the KumoApp analogue values come from the cloud server (proven by the port forwarding requirement) to the Tag manager and sesent to your ISY on your LAN.

@Paul. do you have some Tags?

The Kumoapp example I posted a while ago sends the data from the tag manager to the ISY internal to the network (as long as the tag manager and ISY are on the same network). This does not need a port forward at all, nor does it require the network module or any portal.

Interesting!

I would like to see what you did. Can you link to it or give more clues.

See my post above. I didn't think any analogue change triggered data could be done without cloud, just level triggered reports. (high/low)

Editting after reviewing the KumoApps code. (thanks MWareman)

Thanks.

EDIT: Wait. I am totally wrong on that one.

I checked my KumoApp code and I am using a LAN based access into the ISY.

So the KumoApp code is running on the cloud and sending the actions to the Tag Manager as a portal into your LAN. Then the Tag manager send it via your LAN to the local devices (ISY).

No port forwarding required!

To clarify, the local tag manager on the internal network can put variables into ISY directly without cloud/internet access? Or it must have cloud/internet access to work but locally stuffs the variables into ISY?

Where does Kumoapp run?

To clarify, the local tag manager on the internal network can put variables into ISY directly without cloud/internet access? Or it must have cloud/internet access to work but locally stuffs the variables into ISY?

Where does Kumoapp run?

The tag manager can stuff ISY variables on your LAN with any port forwarding.

But...

The Tag manager only operates by cloud permission, or running KumoApp code on the cloud servers, and then telling the Tag manager to send it.

Not quite completely clear of cloud dependence but no open port to the outside.

Tag -->Tag Manager-->  Router --> Cloud server (kumoApp) --->Router--> Tag manager --> ISY

Where does Kumoapp run?

Kumoapps run in the cloud, but actions taken can be made from the tag manager, or from the cloud per your choice. So, it's hybrid.

Archived