Ver. 5.XX - can you restore a 4.xx backup to a 5.xx ISY ?

telljcl

Haven't decide to take the plunge on 5.x yet as my 4.x system is pretty reliable. But after writing a slew of NRs to control HUE bulbs, I'm thinking maybe I should. Also have Venstar TStats and some other stuff that relies heavily on kludgy servers and NRs to work (but it pretty much works well, so I hate to rock the boat).

Thinking of buying another ISY to load 5.X on, restoring my current backup, and switching the units. Would this work? If 5.x is just to much for me or it causes issues can I just unplug that ISY and plug the "old" one back in? Will my 4.x programs all work properly? Would I need to re-purchase modules and portals etc... again for the other ISY also? There is probably more to it than I'm thinking. 

Maybe the latest 5.x version is stable enough?  I'm not at all an advanced user, but as mentioned do have some fringe type items connected and don't know where 5.x is still buggy. Basically use lots of Insteon, hardly any Zwave, a number of Venstar TStats (with Venlink server running on a PC) and an ELK M1. That's pretty much it.

I know this isn't the specific 5.x area but any general thoughts on the topic would be appreciated.

Haven't decide to take the plunge on 5.x yet as my 4.x system is pretty reliable. But after writing a slew of NRs to control HUE bulbs, I'm thinking maybe I should. Also have Venstar TStats and some other stuff that relies heavily on kludgy servers and NRs to work (but it pretty much works well, so I hate to rock the boat).

Thinking of buying another ISY to load 5.X on, restoring my current backup, and switching the units. Would this work? If 5.x is just to much for me or it causes issues can I just unplug that ISY and plug the "old" one back in? Will my 4.x programs all work properly? Would I need to re-purchase modules and portals etc... again for the other ISY also? There is probably more to it than I'm thinking. 

Maybe the latest 5.x version is stable enough?  I'm not at all an advanced user, but as mentioned do have some fringe type items connected and don't know where 5.x is still buggy. Basically use lots of Insteon, hardly any Zwave, a number of Venstar TStats (with Venlink server running on a PC) and an ELK M1. That's pretty much it.

I know this isn't the specific 5.x area but any general thoughts on the topic would be appreciated.

A note about NR hitting on your Hue bridge.

You can do variable substitutions in the NR but the substitution is not done until transmit time.

If you use a few variables as passed parameters, for your Hue setting  NR, and you immediately change  the parameters to another value/bulb etc.., There is a good chance you will not transmit the data parameters for the first NR transmit, when it grabs the variables, for substitution, from the variables at the time of Tx not at the time of the NR call.

UDI has promised to make this time and option in a later version. Until then, you will need a Wait 1 second between each call, or make a set of variables for each bulb.

post-4697-0-88876000-1431052959_thumb.jpg

NR = Network resources

Thanks for the info - that's definitely good to know. That's one of those things where you'd end up spending a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong... Thanks for saving others that time.

How are you setting the variables you are sending?  Love to know some tricks and basic programming techniques you are using!

NR = Network resources

Thanks for the info - that's definitely good to know. That's one of those things where you'd end up spending a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong... Thanks for saving others that time.

How are you setting the variables you are sending?  Love to know some tricks and basic programming techniques you are using

Here is a long one with a few examples involved for you. :)

This puts my whole rom on to flowery colours everywhere. WAF is high as it is relaxing.

Note the usage of colour constant variables = $cZ.XXXXXXX so that the values don't have to be looked up all the time.  The "Z" in the name is to force sorting to the end when in pull-down menus for the variables.

I use four banks of colours for the 6 major colours so when I select that purple they all match. Even Hue bulbs don't match Hue Bloom bul colours. These are all placed over the integer 150 count range so I never have to scroll past them once defined.

The NRb.xxxx references are the same technique sending commands to my own NRbridge python3 code on a RPi   that controls my LEDenet strips.

Note: no Wait times as I use a NR parameter bank for each NR. This may disappear once the caching problem is resolved.

Colours.movie - [ID 0060][Parent 00C5]

If
        $sGathRm.colours is $cMODE.MOVIE

Then
        Set 'Gathering Room / ML2' to 20%
        $CornerLamp.hue  = $cZ.MAUVE.HUE
        $CornerLamp.saturation  = 254
        $CornerLamp.brightness  = 100
        Resource 'CornerLamp.set'
        $TVLeftPot.hue  = $cZ.ORANGE.HUE
        $TVLeftPot.brightness  = 80
        $TVLeftPot.saturation  = 254
        Resource 'TVLeftPot.set'
        $TVBackLamp.hue  = $cZ.BLUE.BLOOM
        $TVBackLamp.saturation  = 254
        $TVBackLamp.brightness  = 100
        Resource 'TVBackLamp.set'
        $TVRightPot.hue  = $cZ.MAUVE.HUE
        $TVRightPot.brightness  = 150
        $TVRightPot.saturation  = 254
        Resource 'TVRightPot.set'
        $FloorLamp.hue  = $cZ.ORANGE.HUE
        $FloorLamp.brightness  = 100
        $FloorLamp.saturation  = 254
        Resource 'FloorLamp.set'
        Set 'Gathering Room / ML2 / SideLamp' to 60%, color '$cZ.GREEN.ML Index'
        Set 'Gathering Room / ML2 / BufCornerLamp' to 100%, color '$cZ.RED.ML Index'
        Set 'Gathering Room / ML2 / BuffetandDesk' to 100%, color '$cZ.AQUA.ML Index'
        Wait  2 seconds
        $NRb.RGBlevel  = 100
        $NRb.Wlevel  = 0
        $NRb.bulb  = 4
        $NRb.colour  = $cZ.VIOLET.ML
        Resource 'LEDenet.Set'
        Resource 'LEDenet.On'
        Wait  2 seconds
        $NRb.bulb  = 3
        $NRb.colour  = $cZ.BLUE.LED
        Resource 'LEDenet.Set'
        Resource 'LEDenet.On'
        Wait  2 seconds
        $NRb.bulb  = 2
        $NRb.colour  = $cZ.RED.LED
        Resource 'LEDenet.Set'
        Resource 'LEDenet.On'
        Wait  2 seconds
        $NRb.bulb  = 1
        $NRb.colour  = $cZ.MAUVE.LED
        Resource 'LEDenet.Set'
        Resource 'LEDenet.On'
        Set 'Gathering Room / ML2 / UnderBar' to 60%, color '$cZ.GREEN.STRIP Index'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Hmmm.... I'll need to read and re-read that one a few times! Thanks for posting. I'm going to pull this out when I have some time to sit down and work on it.

Impressive!

basically each section takes this

set a variable to the hue

set a variable to level

set the saturation

set a variable to ramp speed (if written into the NR. I just keep mine at about 2 seconds)

set a variable to the bulb number (unless you have a NR for each bulb - I do)

call the NR.

Check back on the screen shot I posted and look at the variable substitutions in the URL and the body section.

Archived