Alexa! - favourite uses and phrases

larryllix

I thought we should start a favourite usage for the Alexa controls, games, information, and other things, that can come up, to share between users. Our Echo sat for about a month, without much usage, except for my OCD usage.

Now both of us use it for many things, HA being the main one, but so many outside HA usages are popping up each week.

We love the shopping list!

No more looking for a pencil or pen that won;t write uphill on the fridge list.
No more fridge list paper hanging there.
No more forgetting to write it down, as it was a hassle and we procrastinate..
No more surprise shopping and the list is still at home.

The suffix "to my shopping list" is assumed and optional. Native and no skill required.

Shows up in your Alexa app on both out cell phones and shared deletions works in 1-2 seconds.

Alexa....add onions!
....OK, I have added onions to your shopping list.

Alexa...add magazine at Walmart!
....OK, I have added magazine at Walmart to your shopping list.

Alexa...What is on our shopping list?
....Your shopping list has xxxx, yyyy, zzzz,...

I have realized that but even the on and off of all components without having to fumble with the remote is nice.

Agreed. And when combined with Alexa's Smart Home Groups, it can coordinate lights, shades, scenes, programs.. etc. with the TV going on/off.

Like the thermostat and other APIs & skills, over time more will be added. 

Edit, also... I have 12 activities that are different combinations of using my components that I can ask alexa for. They were set up in the harmony and discovered by alexa. Also the 26 TV channels I have programmed came through. I can say "Alexa turn on CNN".. it starts everything on CNN, or if I am watching something on roku it switches over.

Paul

Alexa. How many ounces is 500 grams?

She gave the answer but never said which ounce was used,  avoirdupois, or Troy ounces. Avoirdupois would be assumed. With volume it can get worse.

Alexa. How many cups in a kilogram?

She knows not to mix volume and weight and also tells you that.

Great for people in the kitchen.

European cooks used weight measures, North American cooks use volume measures with a mix of avoirdupois and metric units.

Great for people in the kitchen.

European cooks used weight measures, North American cooks use volume measures with a mix of avoirdupois and metric units.

I like that it can start multiple timers... so I can start one for the "grill", another for the "oven", "marinate" etc. Here's a question though... its normally obvious, but when one of the alarms goes off, it doesn't say which it is......yet it knows when you ask to cancel one. Do you know of a way for her to announce which one is going off?

Edit: You can ask "What timers are set?". She will tell you a 5 minute time and a 15 minute timer are set, but does not remember the names you gave her, but does when you ask to cancel... hmmmm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201549770

Paul

I like that it can start multiple timers... so I can start one for the "grill", another for the "oven", "marinate" etc. Here's a question though... its normally obvious, but when one of the alarms goes off, it doesn't say which it is......yet it knows when you ask to cancel one. Do you know of a way for her to announce which one is going off?

Paul

No. 

Alexa should ask for a nickname, same as she does for events.

Caution using events! She makes mistakes for dates and times in google calendar. Then she lies about it by confirming what you said  but  installing different values. We have had a few messed up appointment times in our schedule. Some errors are repeatable too.

No. 

Alexa should ask for a nickname, same as she does for events.

Caution using events! She makes mistakes for dates and times in google calendar. Then she lies about it by confirming what you said  but  installing different values. We have had a few messed up appointment times in our schedule. Some errors are repeatable too.

Yeh I see that now... it doesn't use/keep the name... my bad

Agreed. And when combined with Alexa's Smart Home Groups, it can coordinate lights, shades, scenes, programs.. etc. with the TV going on/off.

Like the thermostat and other APIs & skills, over time more will be added. 

Edit, also... I have 12 activities that are different combinations of using my components that I can ask alexa for. They were set up in the harmony and discovered by alexa. Also the 26 TV channels I have programmed came through. I can say "Alexa turn on CNN".. it starts everything on CNN, or if I am watching something on roku it switches over.

Paul

Paul - I haven't explored this one yet - with channels. Do you have a cable box or Satellite box? How did get the activity to change the channel to CNN?

Paul - I haven't explored this one yet - with channels. Do you have a cable box or Satellite box? How did get the activity to change the channel to CNN?

I have samsung tv, a roku (because the version of Samsung smart tv I have is terrible), a sony dvd/vcr and a Comcast basic Motorola DVR & cable receiver.

I had the channels programmed into the Harmony itself using the mobile app.. I did that  few years ago so I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics,  Those channels "appeared" when when I added the harmony skill and did a "discover devices"... 38 activities and channels, in all, appeared.  

I can say "Alexa, turn CNN on", etc. It will start from off and find its way there, or switch from another mode.. using the same capability harmony uses for the remote / mobile app.

I would suggest going back to the app, getting it set up there and then "rediscover"

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
There must be a female that supplies voices for Alexa.

Computer voices don't do slightly flat musical and raspy sounding notes..

I hope she is getting paid well.

• Alexa. Sing a Christmas song!
  •  
  • Alexa. Sing Jingle Bells
  •  
  • Alexa. Sing Deck the Halls.
  •  
  • Alexa. Sing another Christmas song.
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are using a Harmony remote, you can add the channels you want as favorites and then when you import them into Echo, you will be asked to provide spoken names.  I have found that this works quite well.

Don

Archived