Where are the instructions for using Wake On Lan?

fasttimes

What is the password field for?  The instructions don't mention anything about this.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-994i_Series_INSTEON:Networking#Wake_On_LAN

I would like to be able to wake a machine using a URL that I can bookmark.  Can you add a link next to the "wake" button for a machine so that can be bookmarked?  This would of course require the user to authenticate, which leads me to my next request:  Please don't log the user out for inactivity, or at least provide that as an option.

Hi fasttimes,

Password is necessary if and only if your device requires a password.

You can use default ISY web interface (http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-994i_Initial_Browser_Screen) or you can use a direct URL:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Developers:API:REST_Interface#Networking (/rest/networking/wol).

With kind regards,

Michel

• 1 year later...

I cannot seem to make WoL function with anything from ISY.

I can make this work just fine from my Asus router, so it seems to be enabled in the receiver,  but not from ISY. I have multiple times compared the MAC address for matching. from the router to ISY.

Also, I cannot turn on my MediaPC from ISY either, but it works fine  from my Asus router test, also.

My Samsung 55" doesn't seem to be WoL capable so I cannot make it work from  either source..

I understand:
-WoL is a brodcast signal that is sent to address XX.YY.ZZ.255 as the IP address of the Off device is not established yet. The "claculate" button geberates this address. I did use the Save button mny times. Test does noting so far. A test program does nothing so far.
-WoL must be addressed to the MAC address due to th above lack of IP address.

What am I missing for WoL in ISY?

Well I found my own fix for this.

I was using a Subnet mask of 255.255.254.0 so I could expand my network to 512 IP addresses, if ever needed.

It seems when 255.255.254.0 is used with the Wake on Lan setup,  the broadcast address must be 192.168.1.255, which would be the highest address of the range allowed. (Think contiguous addressing bits, not groups as IP addresses are usually presented with)

I tried using the matching subnet mask in the ISY WoL specs and voila!...devices worked and turned themselves on! Success.

Now here comes the nasty part:
I went back to my router and changed the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 like ordinary people would use.....wow! Nothing worked again.

Thinking that my television may have the wider mask subnet installed, I tried that change there with no success. After many trials and failures, it turns out I had to disable ISY's DHCP,  it self reboots,  then enable  DHCP,  rebooting ISY again, so that all that automagic DHCP stuff picks up the new subnet mask from the router, and ISY will stop trying to use the old mask. 

In the end I can see I have to power cycle every Ethernet device in the house in order for them to pick up the new subnet mask via DCHP service. A router reboot seems to have resolved most devices but not many use the broadcast technique to be found.

Archived