Echo & Garage Door

milhouse

So I setup my I/O Linc Garage Door opener using the instructions here https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Garage_Door_Kit).In effect, its using Scenes to control the opening and controlling of the garage door.  It works fine from the KeyLinc and ISY interface, but Alexa is unable to control it. I named the scene "Garage Door" in the Alexa interface, but I get the "I'm not sure how to help you with that" err

or message when I ask it to open or close the garage door.

Thanks for any thoughts.

So I setup my I/O Linc Garage Door opener using the instructions here https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Garage_Door_Kit).In effect, its using Scenes to control the opening and controlling of the garage door.  It works fine from the KeyLinc and ISY interface, but Alexa is unable to control it. I named the scene "Garage Door" in the Alexa interface, but I get the "I'm not sure how to help you with that" err

or message when I ask it to open or close the garage door.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Your link leads to a blank page.

Maybe you can post your programs.

I don't link my vocals to scenes, only programs and devices but I tend to avoid scenes for things like that.

After you set up your vocal did you tell Alexa to Discover again?

Strange about the link. Trying it again.

I don't use scenes for anything else, but this seems to be the only way that the KeyLinc button light will indicate the garage door status.

And I've updated Alexa.

That was the page I assumed we were going to.

That page is out of date and a horrible way to operate a garage door. We have ISYs to do this in a much more controlled and east to troubleshoot way now.

The IOLinc trigger reverse has given so many people a headache after the IOLink reports the garage door open every night when the 3:00 AM query runs on ISY.

I would keep the scene to light up the KPL LED (only way) but write programs to intercept the signals, do some logic, and operate the scenes form that. Then you vocals can operate those programs.

Many have done this for GDO that could possibly post their programs if you are ISY programming shy yet.

I have an identical setup that works... the trick is "Open" and "Close" don't work.

You need to say: "Alexa, turn garage door on".

The way my scenes are setup, I can use the word "on" only or the word "off" only, or "on" and "off" mixed.

Strange about the link. Trying it again.

I don't use scenes for anything else, but this seems to be the only way that the KeyLinc button light will indicate the garage door status.

And I've updated Alexa.

Saying on/off did it. Thanks.

I would encourage you to find and use a *Unique* phrase / word that can't be easily used against you. Adding voice control to open and close the largest door in your home with out any measure of authentication is a recipe for disaster. Keeping in mind several large insurance companies have already stated they intend to update their home owners insurance policy to decline future claims due to the above.

Just because you can do a thing - Doesn't mean you should . . . 

As I've posted in a different topic, I have success using open/close, even shut. with devices and scenes, but no success with programs. According to UD, open and close should work with all.

Teken,

Securely controlling garage door using voice commands depends on the situation. Our home is gated, the garages are 70 feet from and 20 feet above the street. I'm comfortable using voice commands. But, I won't use them for the entry gates nor any doors.

Regarding my comment above, I use scenes to control the garage doors, so it really doesn't matter if we say open or close, each command reverses the current position of the door. OTOH, I have a program that closes the garage doors, but can't open them. I have to tell Alexa to turn the program On.

I suppose it really comes down to use case and a persons comfort level of risk(s). For me I can't say this is something that would be done in my home or those I help deploy home automation. The reality is humans by their very nature are lazy and don't complete tasks unless some kind of outside factor whether it be personal, business, or legal makes them do so.

This (specific) topic has been discussed at length in various forms and the only thing any of us can do is offer that insight in hopes balance can be found. As of this writing I haven't met a single person in my community that has ever bothered to complete the required monthly, yearly GDO inspections, mechanical adjustment, and validation tests.

To think the most basic safety aspects have already been ignored yet people want to add in another layer of *Risk / Hazard* to something that isn't even maintained by the masses.

Yeah, I can't see anything going wrong here . . . 

As I've posted in a different topic, I have success using open/close, even shut. with devices and scenes, but no success with programs. According to UD, open and close should work with all.

Stu, thanks..

I am using the ISY Optimized for Smarthome V2 Skill

When I say "Alexa, open (or close) the garage door", she can't do it (I have a scene that has the iolinc relay and a keypad button).

Are you also saying "tell Izzy to", or phrasing it some other way?

Paul

I would encourage you to find and use a *Unique* phrase / word that can't be easily used against you. Adding voice control to open and close the largest door in your home with out any measure of authentication is a recipe for disaster. Keeping in mind several large insurance companies have already stated they intend to update their home owners insurance policy to decline future claims due to the above.

Just because you can do a thing - Doesn't mean you should . . . 

I was just being quick. I have to say "Alexa, turn the garage door on/off".

Stu, thanks..

I am using the ISY Optimized for Smarthome V2 Skill

When I say "Alexa, open (or close) the garage door", she can't do it (I have a scene that has the iolinc relay and a keypad button).

Are you also saying "tell Izzy to", or phrasing it some other way?

Paul

Nope. But, I'm finding that results vary. Open works with only some device and scenes, close always works, so does shut.

Nope. But, I'm finding that results vary. Open works with only some device and scenes, close always works, so does shut.

I'm wondering if its 2 word devices like "Garage Door"? Hmm, have to experiment. To your earlier point, I did not try beyond Garage Door. Garage is also a word used in several device names.

Paul

That was the page I assumed we were going to.

That page is out of date and a horrible way to operate a garage door. We have ISYs to do this in a much more controlled and east to troubleshoot way now.

The IOLinc trigger reverse has given so many people a headache after the IOLink reports the garage door open every night when the 3:00 AM query runs on ISY.

I would keep the scene to light up the KPL LED (only way) but write programs to intercept the signals, do some logic, and operate the scenes form that. Then you vocals can operate those programs.

Many have done this for GDO that could possibly post their programs if you are ISY programming shy yet.

larryllix,

is there a link to the new way to program garage doors?  Mine were programmed the old way and they operate fine with the KPL switches, but the MobiLinc app is kinda wonky when it comes to opening the garage doors.

• 1 year later...

I would like to revisit this in light of the v3 Smart Home skill and node servers. What are people doing with garage doors?

I have garage doors supported through a node server so adding the devices directly to Alexa is not an option. If I write a program and add them as a "Scene," it will not support "Open" or "Close" commands. If I add the program as a "Switch" it gets really wonky. For example, for a single named device, I can say "Alexa, turn on the third garage" and the door opens, and "Alexa, close the third garage" will close it.

But if I add anything else with the word "garage" in the name, or I add a program to close all the garage doors, then all bets are off. I alternatively get "garage doors doesn't support that" or "you have several devices with that name" or "I don't know how to help you with that," etc. with no apparent consistency. Ultimately, all I really want is "Alexa, close the garage doors" and "Alexa, close the garage bays" to run a program that closes all the garages (for security reasons). Maybe I should be looking at routines. What has everybody else come up with?

I've taken to use routines for anything that I want to open and/or close. But, for some unknown reason, open and close continue to work with my garage door programs, both individually and for both, as needed.

Archived