working with KPL timer

smileyw

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a link between a KPL timer and another KPL. Essentially I want to treat the KPL timer just like a dimmer by programing one of the buttons on the regular KPL to control the timer and also have the LED on the regular KPL let me know when the timer load is on and off.

Obviously this is VERY simple if the timer wasn't involved. To that end, I tried to create a scene in the ISY where I used the "A" button on the KPL timer and a button on the KPL. This didn't work. I am assuming I need to do something different because it is a timer. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Hi smileyw,

With the KPL timer, the only controller link you can have is with the main button. Subsequently, any other buttons you depress, are going to turn on/off all the responders for the amount of time dictated by the button you pressed.

Now, you can use timer buttons as responders in scenes and that's why you have 8 of them in the tree.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a link between a KPL timer and another KPL. Essentially I want to treat the KPL timer just like a dimmer by programing one of the buttons on the regular KPL to control the timer and also have the LED on the regular KPL let me know when the timer load is on and off.

Obviously this is VERY simple if the timer wasn't involved. To that end, I tried to create a scene in the ISY where I used the "A" button on the KPL timer and a button on the KPL. This didn't work. I am assuming I need to do something different because it is a timer. Does anyone know what I need to do?

With the KPL timer, the only controller link you can have is with the main button.

I had assumed this, but is that "A" on the timer, or "H"? I don't exactly get it. I would have assumed it is A (like the regular KPL), but A didn't work when I tested it. I don't think linking to H worked either...

I know this seems simple, but for some odd reason it isn't...

With the KPL timer, the only controller link you can have is with the main button.

I had assumed this, but is that "A" on the timer, or "H"? I don't exactly get it. I would have assumed it is A (like the regular KPL), but A didn't work when I tested it. I don't think linking to H worked either...

I know this seems simple, but for some odd reason it isn't...

I have the KLP Timer set up in a similar way, the "main" button that can act as a controller is the 2 minute button (assuming you still have the timer in factor configuration).

Lets assume you want to have button "c" on the KPL activate the timer for 15 minutes. You would then set button "c" as a controler of the 15 minute button (responder) You would then link the 2 minute button of the timer as a controller of the "c" button (responder) on the KPL. The "c" button will now activate the timer for 15 minutes and the "c" button LED will light up. After 15 min the timer load will turn off (as will the button "c" LED)

If you want to have multiple buttons on the remote KPL control various times on the timer the configuration gets a bit more complicated and requires setting up non-toggle on buttons.

• 4 weeks later...

So I haven't had any time to work on this lately, but I picked it up again last night.

Here is where I am...

I want to create a program that turns the load on the KPL on for 30 minutes when I double press (fast on) a button on another KPL. Ideally I would like to just trigger the 30 minute button on the KPL timer. (Though from the discussion above, it looks like that isn't possible.) I can't seem to get the program to effect anything other than the load on the KPL timer. (Unless I am doing something wrong?)

So, I figured I could write a program to turn it on, wait 30 minutes, and turn it back off. I wrote a program to do this. However, it doesn't exactly work.

When I tell the program to turn on the KPL timer, it does, but I see that the "2 minute" button lights up (button A). Then the load turns off after 2 minutes (instead of 30). I think this might be a bug in the way the KPL timer is handled inside the ISY.... The actual "on/off" on the kPL timer is H.

I believe the program is correct because when I change the wait from 30 minutes to 1 minute, it works just fine. It is also worth noting that the scene below is simply the KPL timer and the "H" key on the KPL in the other room. It has the same problem where it turns on and off the "A" button instead of the "H" button on the KPL timer.

Here is the program:

If

Control 'BDM Reading Light.H' is switched Fast On

Then

Set Scene 'BD3 Reading Light' On

Wait 30 minutes

Set Scene 'BD3 Reading Light' Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Hello smileyw,

You can actually put the timer buttons in a scene as responders and have another KPL button in there as a controller. This way, you can turn the timer's load on for the amount of time indicated by button. The only problem is that your KPL controller will never know when the timer has turned off.

With kind regards,

Michel

The only problem is that your KPL controller will never know when the timer has turned off.

With kind regards,

Michel

I guess I could write a quick program that would run 31 minutes later to check the status and turn off KPL controller if it is still on, right?

W

Hi W,

I guess but I do not think you have to test the status. i.e. you already know that someone turned it either on or off. The main problem is that you will have to do this for all 8 buttons which makes it not worthwhile.

If you only have ONE kpl button for which you want to do this, then simply put the Load on the timer and that button as controllers in the same scene. This way, whenever the timer turns off, then your other KPL will also turn off.

With kind regards,

Michel

The only problem is that your KPL controller will never know when the timer has turned off.

With kind regards,

Michel

I guess I could write a quick program that would run 31 minutes later to check the status and turn off KPL controller if it is still on, right?

W

Hi W,

Sorry ... yes as long as they are both controllers in the same scene.

Now, if you wish to turn on the timer remotely (using another button on the KPL), then only thing you can do is to put the desired timer button as a "RESPONDER" with the remote button as the controller.

I do apologize for the confusion. All I am trying to say is that no matter what you do, you will be out of synch simply because the KPL timer buttons can never be controllers. As you suggested, you can make a program that simply turns of the remote button but, then, you will have to write the same program 7 times for each one of the timer buttons.

With kind regards,

Michel

I guess you lost me.

I currently have a scene setup like this:

Load of KPL timer and "H" on other KPL.

Isn't that what you are asking me to do?

W

Okay, we are getting closer. Next question, why does the the scene lights up the "A" button on the KPL timer (which is 2 minutes IIRC) instead of H which is on/off?

The problem with that of course is that it does indeed turn the device off after 2 minutes when I intened to just turn it on with the scene...

W

Hello W,

As far as I know - and unless you have figured out otherwise - H is only OFF. I have not been able to use H to turn anything on. 2 Minutes button is group 1 which is the load button.

With kind regards,

Michel

Okay, we are getting closer. Next question, why does the the scene lights up the "A" button on the KPL timer (which is 2 minutes IIRC) instead of H which is on/off?

The problem with that of course is that it does indeed turn the device off after 2 minutes when I intened to just turn it on with the scene...

W

Hello W,

As far as I know - and unless you have figured out otherwise - H is only OFF. I have not been able to use H to turn anything on. 2 Minutes button is group 1 which is the load button.

With kind regards,

Michel

It is on and off on mine... (there is a setting for that as well as an extra key cap that says on/off). I am sure it is the manual someplace if you want to look it up.

I wonder if that is why I am seeing this problem, and other are not?

W

Hello W,

Apologies for the inaccuracy: I do not know of a programmatic way of making that button non-toggle.

I do not think that's the issue. The controller is always group 1 = the 2 min button.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello W,

With kind regards,

Michel

It is on and off on mine... (there is a setting for that as well as an extra key cap that says on/off). I am sure it is the manual someplace if you want to look it up.

I wonder if that is why I am seeing this problem, and other are not?

W

Archived