Monitor Sump Pump with 2423A5

rmazzaro

I would like to monitor a basement sump pump with a 2423A5 SynchroLinc.  My initial testing (in my home office with a lamp) has shown this is exactly what I need.  I'm able to generate an email whenever the light powers on and off.

I can't figure out how to make this work in the basement without access to the ISY99i.  Do I add the device into the ISY and then head to the basement to set the "off" state, and then trigger the pump on to set the "on" state?  All of this being done from the 2423A5? Sounds messy...but I suppose I can do that.  Or do I need to do this first, and then add the device to the ISY?

I'd love to hear ideas and thoughts...it doesn't appear that many folks are using the 2423A5.

Thanks everyone!

I have several SynchroLincs. Go through the installation procedure as instructed in the Owner's Manual first. After ensuring that the SynchroLinc is working correctly (red LED=off, green LED=on), then add the SynchroLinc to the ISY. Make note of the three settings so you won't need to go through the setup procedure in the event you need to replace the device (or you reset it).

Alas, the syncrolinc has a few, um, "challenges".

One is that with the ISY, the settings panel won't let you set current ranges beyond the very lowest end.  I don't remember the exact figure, but I do recall that the problem is that the ISY truncated the value when it shouldn't have.  Perhaps this is fixed with later releases, I don't know -- I retired both my syncrolincs.  I was able to work around the aforementioned problem by using the "set" button technique to set the threshold instead of the ISY.

Another problem is that the syncrolinc doesn't use a current transformer, but rather uses a very-low-value resistor -- and that requires that the device be fused.  After my pump blew that fuse, and ceased working, I decided that was a completely unacceptable failure mode, and replaced the syncrolinc with a current-transducer and an IOLinc.

The final problem is that the pump, when starting, generated a lot of electrical noise -- so until I wired in a big 20-amp X10 noise filter the ISY would only sometimes get the signal from the syncrolinc when the pump started.  (I tried a filterlinc, but that is also fused - see the previous paragraph for that problem!)

I'd recommend a current-operated switch, and an IOLinc instead.  Use the Syncrolinc only on things that you don't care if they don't work.

I don't disagree that you may have experienced difficulties with the SynchroLinc, but my v.30 SynhcroLincs can be set to 1,800 watts from the ISY. That's more than 10A @ 120V. I haven't tried connecting a pump and I do care if anything doesn't work as expected.

I used my ISY994 to setup the trigger levels for my dryer detection.

I have set it at 3 Watts so I can detect the interior light and also know if the dryer door was left open too long, causing a cold draught in the house during winter weather.

Does your dryer vent line and exterior fixture not have a flap? Maybe those living in more temperate locations don't require such basic measures when compared to some of us living in extreme arctic weather.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally gave up on the Synchrolinc to monitor on / off and run time for the sump pump. I could never get it dialed in to read reliably - especially on times.

That combined with reports I read that an internal fuse can fail - disabling the pump - made me finally go with the solution I had been putting off.

I installed an outlet and a Mamac CT-800 current sensor in a 2-gang box. The upper and lower outlets are independent (broke the tab), so that only the bottom outlet is sensed by the CT-800.

Testing this with an IOLinc seems much more instant and reliable than the Synchrolinc.

Ultimately, I think I'm going to run the sense wires back to a zone on the ELK. That should make it virtually bulletproof.

56d8adaa37d20dd6f6bc53e3951d2627.jpg

Yes. Know number of cycles, duration of runtime, and cycle start / stop times.

I will log these to a database, as I already do my heat and cool cycles from HVAC.

I can then graphically display them, and also can trigger alerts for extended run times (anomalous).

A typical cycle for my pit / pump should be about 7 seconds.

Yes. Know number of cycles, duration of runtime, and cycle start / stop times.

I will log these to a database, as I already do my heat and cool cycles from HVAC.

I can then graphically display them, and also can trigger alerts for extended run times (anomalous).

A typical cycle for my pit / pump should be about 7 seconds.

Great to see others taking a keen interest into their homes infrastructure. Doing so ensures a base line is known and tracks possible faults that may be happening.

post-1970-0-29986800-1485924136_thumb.png

post-1970-0-28145700-1485924146_thumb.png

Teken, how are you monitoring yours such that you get actual power readings?

My entire homes energy is monitored & managed by my Brultech Green Eye Monitor. The images you see are only a small fraction of what can be captured, displayed, and recalled. I know exactly the start up inrush current, watts, volt-amps, KWH, and power factor.

With the tight integration of the ISY Series Controller and the Insteon network I can monitor & manage every circuit load in my home.

Currently my on going project has been to vocalize all aspects of the energy conditions.

At this very moment the system will not only send me alerts via email, SMS, push notification. But actually speak and tell me if a fault condition exists.

Of course since we are talking about the sump. The system will tell me when, how long, and how many cycles the sump has activated for.

Right now the system is only programmed to vocalize out of band readings I deem unsafe.

I love it!

That project has open such a huge door to my energy monitoring / energy management it can't be understated!

Like many here I started off with basic email notifications about when the dryer, washer, dishwasher was done. Now, the home speaks to the family using Julie U.S. for the very same. Extending that same power to environmental for weather, temperature, humidity has been incredible.

Right now I'm finalizing the force protection elements by incorporating voice announcements which should be done in the next couple months.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this topic.  For now, I've put a new 2423A5 SyncroLinc in place, and it appears to be working well. I get an email every time the pump goes off...which is enough for me to see it's cycling every hour or 45 minutes or....  I also have a backup sump pump that uses AC and a marine battery. The water exits to a different location (very important).  If the main pump fails, or the fuse in the SyncroLinc fries, we are at least covered - and we will here the alarm on the backup pump. Heck, I can probably put the other SyncroLinc on the backup pump!

The Mamac CT-800 current sensor solution seems like a more fail safe and  interesting idea.  I'm just not clear on how much I would need to add to make that work. Of course, if the SyncroLinc fries, I'll be looking at alternatives.  :? 

Being a newbie to the ISY994i/PLM world, it's great to see all of the community support provided by everyone! Thanks again.

ps. I'm working on getting other Insteon friends converted over from the 'dark side'...  :-D  

I bought a syncrolinc and spent 2 hours trying to get it to work with no luck. I can't even get it to consistently talk to the ISY never mind feel comfortable relying on it for monitoring my sewer pump! I have ordered a current sensing switch and will use it with a pi, a small bash script, and rest to update variables on my ISY. I will let you know how it works but overall I am extremely disappointed with the syncrolinc!

Archived