Using an Insteon PAR38 in a flood to detect motion

nathan

Hi,

Is it possible to use an Insteon PAR38 bulb in a motion flood to detect when there is motion? i.e. It would turn off when there is no motion and then supplied 120V when motion is detected. Is there some event that would be triggered when the bulb initially turns on?

I don't have an Insteon bulb in hand so I don't know how it behaves when it is initially supplied power and if an event is triggered. Anyone have any insight?

Fixture is a RAB. I know others have used micro module to sense, but I was trying to approach this from another direction.

Depending what your requirement is, you might be able to use a standard bulb and sneak a micro module with 'sense' in the fixture. When it senses the light on or off it could switch states locally and then update the PLM... which in turn could activate a scene, run ISY programs, etc.

This is an idea only, I don't know how big the fixture is or how available the wiring to the lights is, eg wire nuts that could be accessed to add the micro module

Paul 

The fixture may be unwieldy, but exterior boxes usually don't have a lot of wires. There should be no problem fitting a Micro Module into the wall/ceiling box.

Hi,

Is it possible to use an Insteon PAR38 bulb in a motion flood to detect when there is motion? i.e. It would turn off when there is no motion and then supplied 120V when motion is detected. Is there some event that would be triggered when the bulb initially turns on?

I don't have an Insteon bulb in hand so I don't know how it behaves when it is initially supplied power and if an event is triggered. Anyone have any insight?

Fixture is a RAB. I know others have used micro module to sense, but I was trying to approach this from another direction.

What exactly is the reason for wanting to use the Insteon LED bulb instead of a standard LED bulb? Also realize the Insteon LED bulb must be powered at all times to receive Insteon signals. The bulb also has what's known as *Last Known State* unless changed in software.

Meaning if the bulb was on when power was lost - upon restore of power the bulb would turn on. If the bulb was off and power was lost - upon power restore it would remain off. As noted up above in software the bulb can be programmed to come on during a power loss condition.

I note this because some users have received bulbs so programmed to do so. As of this writing there is no controller that can enable / disable the always on upon power loss condition. I've asked for this option to be included into the ISY Series Controller firmware since product launch.

This hasn't been done, there is no ETA to do so . . . 

Teken, on 15 Jan 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

What exactly is the reason for wanting to use the Insteon LED bulb instead of a standard LED bulb? Also realize the Insteon LED bulb must be powered at all times to receive Insteon signals. The bulb also has what's known as *Last Known State* unless changed in software.

I was hoping there some some signal that would be sent over the Insteon network when the light bulb is powered on (i.e.: motion was detected by the non-insteon fixture and the bulb was given power). I could then use this to trigger other auxiliary devices, like a camera.

Meaning if the bulb was on when power was lost - upon restore of power the bulb would turn on. If the bulb was off and power was lost - upon power restore it would remain off. As noted up above in software the bulb can be programmed to come on during a power loss condition.

Sounds like it would be the right behavior for my application.

Either way, since the bulb can only be a responder, I'd have no indicator of it being on the network (powered) vs. off the network (not powered) so my idea is a no go.

Thanks for all the feedback.

As Stu noted this could be solved simply by using a Insteon ILL / Micro On-Off relay / Micro Dimmer. Keep in mind this assumes your motion sensor light is not one of those *Dual Bright* types. Lastly, if you decide to use any of the listed Insteon hardware please note the minimum load required per the maker.

Archived