This is strictly insteon. What is wrong with my KPL switches?

ingeborgdot

I am having problems with 2 of my KPL switches.  What happens to them is when I turn on the main switch on the KPL it starts sounding like (??static sound or something like that) and the lights flash on and off and I can't shut off the lights.  I have to cut power to the switch in order to shut it off.  This happens to two of my KPL switches.  Has anyone had this happen?  What is the problem?  Are new ones in order?

Take out the bulbs and use standard incandescent report back if the problem goes away.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

SH had some QC problems and myself and a few others I know of saw where they did not solder the hot or neautral wires correctly to the PCB and over time they started to arc.  That was a couple of years ago so depending on how old they are it could be the problem.

If all else fails to correct the problem you can check for that if you have to replace with switch. 

Did you try a "Factory Reset" of the switches, and use "Restore Device" by right-clicking on them in the admin console?

Factory Reset:

• 1) Pull Set button out (creating an Air Gap)
  • 2) Wait 10 Seconds
  • 3) Push Set Button in and Hold it in ~ 10 secondsKeypadLinc will (Beep)
  • 4) Release the Set button

Paul

Yes, Paul, I have tried everything.

If you remove the load from the circuit does the sound go away? Remove the switch plate and note the hardware production date along with what the ISY Series Controller notes as the firmware in use.

Older hardware and firmware had a POST to detect incorrect wiring and load. If the hardware and firmware don't reflect this it could very well be a sign the KPL is showing signs of failure. This noise / button flicker was very common in older hardware. If you're handy with a soldering iron I have a documented how to thread which calls out the process of repairing the very same.

You can PM if that is the route your interested in taking . . .

Unfortunately those devices not having the more robust 100 ~ 277 VAC PSU were not very tolerant of voltage swings. It has been very common to see these devices become unstable and break when a voltage sag is present. It also didn't help the products longevity considering they also used cheap capacitors.

This is why the KPL repair mimics the 2413S PLM that so many of us have done. I've restored more than 15 of these devices for myself and a few friends over the years. The only time the replacement cap process doesn't work is if it takes out one of the SMT IC, timing crystal, resistors.  

Teken,

If you're handy with a soldering iron I have a documented how to thread which calls out the process of repairing the very same.

Looked but did not see, what is the topic?

Hello Paulw,

I've sent you a PM with the direct link to the repair process. Please scroll down to the last quarter of the thread to see the steps taken to repair the KPL.

Archived