Insteon Door Locks

Bill Morrow

I live with an older parent who does not always remember to lock the door. The neighbourhood is safe enough, but neighbours have had people walk in off the street and walk out with anything laying around, while they were in the backyard.

So I'm looking for an insteon lock that would alert me when the lock is open. I don't want the keypad or even the RF remote, although I would still like some way to lock the door remotely.

What's a good quality, reliable and secure option?

Insteon compatible locks can be remotely locked, but do not report their status. Nearly any Z-Wave lock will accomplish what you want. I prefer Schlage, but Yale is popular, too.

Another vote for Schlage Connect Z-Wave.. I have the z-wave add on in my ISY and it works pretty good. I tried the Morning Industry and it was ok but the remote would not always work.. A few days after I installed it I literally took the remote right up to it and it wouldn't respond. Returned while I could. I have a pretty new Insteon Lock Controller you can use for Morning Industry if interested. The status and alerts are worth it alone to go Z-Wave. And you can set up a geofence if she carries a phone to automatically lock it if outside of the defined area. 

Another vote for Schlage Connect Z-Wave.. I have the z-wave add on in my ISY and it works pretty good. I tried the Morning Industry and it was ok but the remote would not always work.. A few days after I installed it I literally took the remote right up to it and it wouldn't respond. Returned while I could. I have a pretty new Insteon Lock Controller you can use for Morning Industry if interested. The status and alerts are worth it alone to go Z-Wave. And you can set up a geofence if she carries a phone to automatically lock it if outside of the defined area. 

Thanks for the details.

Yeah she carries a phone, but it's never turned on. :-)

The Schlage BE469 looks interesting, but how well do they hold up to the weather? Also what about a matching knob?

You can get that also.. Here is one for example. Mine is behind a storm door and pretty new but it seems very solid.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Connect-Camelot-Satin-Nickel-Touchscreen-Deadbolt-with-Alarm-and-Handleset-with-Accent-Interior-Lever-FE469NX-ACC-619-CAM-LH/204793909

You can get that also.. Here is one for example. Mine is behind a storm door and pretty new but it seems very solid.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Connect-Camelot-Satin-Nickel-Touchscreen-Deadbolt-with-Alarm-and-Handleset-with-Accent-Interior-Lever-FE469NX-ACC-619-CAM-LH/204793909

Yeah, I found the matching handle on Amazon after I posted. Wow the handle is a scary price compared to the lock. The handset looks very much like our existing Schlage, so I might just buy the lock for the front door. I'll have to see how close it looks. There is almost no price difference buying them together, at least where I am.

I just purchased ZWave kit for my ISY.

The Schlage BE469 looks interesting, but how well do they hold up to the weather? Also what about a matching knob?

Mine has worked flawlessly through the winter, with temps getting as low as -7ºF (-22ºC).  It's in a covered area, so it's not directly exposed to sunlight or water, but it's holding up perfectly.

Yeah, I found the matching handle on Amazon after I posted. Wow the handle is a scary price compared to the lock. The handset looks very much like our existing Schlage, so I might just buy the lock for the front door. I'll have to see how close it looks. There is almost no price difference buying them together, at least where I am.

I just purchased ZWave kit for my ISY.

You're going to be very happy.. Good luck and most of all enjoy the freedom.. 

My apologies if I'm hijacking your post, but I was curious of how these door locks work if a door needs to apply a little pressure to lock? Do the deadbolts have to be smooth to lock? I wanted to add one to a door that needs slight pressure to lock, but nothing too difficult.

Regards,

Robert

My apologies if I'm hijacking your post, but I was curious of how these door locks work if a door needs to apply a little pressure to lock? Do the deadbolts have to be smooth to lock? I wanted to add one to a door that needs slight pressure to lock, but nothing too difficult.

Regards,

Robert

My Kwikset locks can exert some force, and they have specially tapered bolts to help them slide in without binding.  Still, you should make sure that everything's aligned for it to operate reliably.  Mine will just stop and complain if they meet too much resistance.

Rob

If the door needs any force at all to lock (or even close), then some adjustments need to be made, usually to the striker plate. The only force needed should be to enter through a locked door B)

Archived