Unexpected result when querying iolinc with trigger reverse enabled

rabbit1543

Im not sure if this is expected or not but when i query an iolinc that has trigger reverse enabled the sensor (closed) reports as ON when i am expecting to see OFF

When i query the iolinc the result of the sensor status is always ON regardless of the physical state of the contact closure

Manual trigger of the sensor rectifies this as i would expect. 

Open sensor = ON

Closed sensor = OFF

ISY is running 5.0.8

Im not sure if this is expected or not but when i query an iolinc that has trigger reverse enabled the sensor (closed) reports as ON when i am expecting to see OFF

When i query the iolinc the result of the sensor status is always ON regardless of the physical state of the contact closure

Manual trigger of the sensor rectifies this as i would expect.

Open sensor = ON

Closed sensor = OFF

ISY is running 5.0.8

Trigger reverse only reverses the trigger event, not the results of a query (it's a flaw in the IOLinc itself). It is strongly advised to not use that option if using this event in programs on ISY, because when the overnight query all is run it will false-fire anything triggered of an IOLinc sensor.

MWareman,

Thanks for the response. While this is not the answer i was hoping for it confirms what i am seeing. 

This brings up another strange behavior then. 

I have query run at boot enabled which will trigger my Garage OPEN alerts which is based on the "ON" status of a sensor.

However the query all that runs nightly does not seem to be triggering this nor do i see the incorrect status after the 3am query all.

I have checked and the query all is running nightly according to the summary tab

The reason for using the ON status is that im using a KPL button that is configured for "ToggleOn" which is also a controller of a scene that triggers the relay to open/close the garage. 

This same KPL button is also a responder to another scene that contains the sensor. 

This setup allows the KPL button to control the control the garage and light up if the garage is open.

Sounds like you need to change your magnetic contact from n/o to n/c (or vice versa) so that trigger reverse is not needed. Otherwise, there is no way to keep things in sync.

Related, I personally (strongly) advise against using an IOLinc to control a garage door. It's not a secured device, and significant security issues in the Insteon protocol puts your garage security at risk. If you have zwave, there are zwave devices that are much more secure for this application.

I use exactly that setup. The buttons (two garages) both control the garage doors and are lit if any garage door is open. Follow MWareman's advice, change the magnetic switch to one like this.

I actually have those for both my garages as part of the original garage kit sold by smarthome. I was running into some problems where they ISY thought the garages were open when they were closed. I was in need for a couple of iolinc for a separate project so i ordered the new kits as which are not as flexible and replaced the contact closures with the new style. When i replaced the contact closures is when i had to enable the trigger reverse. Maybe i will try to put the old contact closures back in and place and see if i still get the occasional false opens. If not i will purchase replacement contact closures. 

@mwareman

I do have the zwave module in my isy but have yet to purchase any zwave components to play with. Is there a zwave setup that you can recommend for this application.

@mwareman

I do have the zwave module in my isy but have yet to purchase any zwave components to play with. Is there a zwave setup that you can recommend for this application.

There are none I've had direct experience with, as I have my garage door hooked up to my Elk for both control and monitoring (it allows my alarm to be triggered instantly if anyone tries to force the door at night, for example). However, there are several zwave dry contact devices out there. Look for one that supports the security profile.

If this would be your first zwave device, you should consider adding a couple of additional devices (like the Aeotec Siren) to establish a mesh. Otherwise, there may be communication issues.

I just replaced my IoLincs with Mimolite zwave devices this weekend and they work great. I already had good zwave coverage in my garage. I liked them because they were a direct swap of the IoLinc instead of using​ a separate device for control and status. I had been holding out because I want to install a security system, but that keeps getting delayed...

http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php?/topic/13768-Z-Wave-I/O-Module

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice. I have been a looking at the fortrezz mimo2+ to replace the two iolincs im currently using for my garage doors.

Considering my ISY is also in the garage is it safe to assume that i shouldnt need additional devices t this point to create a mesh like mwareman suggests? 

I've not heard that anyone tried the 2+ yet, I almost got one but decided to just go with the one that has been verified to work. It probably will work but you never know for sure.

For zwave coverage the ISY will need to be close to your garage or you will need more zwave devices like the aeotec siren to make sure. My ISY is in a cabinet in a room directly next to the garage and they see the ISY as a neighbor, but I do have a strong mesh as well with a couple sirens and 6 thermostats.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks again. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, still undecided. My ISY is in the garage and would be within feet of the mimo so I would hope it works without additional zwave devices, but like stu says you won't know until you try it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No hardware or wiring changes are needed.

Just take out the Reverse Trigger option and reverse your code logic.

THis is easy. First change you device node to read the correct status like

"Garage door open"

or

"garage door closed"

...whichever is correct when On.

Then change your If section logic to the reverse logic like...

Garage Door Open = On instead of Garage Door Open = Off

or

Garage_door closed = On instead of Garage door closed = Off...etc.

There is a reason that ISY is programmable. :)

Larry,

I did try this and if memory serves me right it breaks the kpl button integration. Out art least I could not get it to work like I wanted but could be missing something there then also

It may give some problems with direct scene links between devices but a simple program can alleviate and logic reversals needed.

Is it important to not have a 1 second delay between garage door starting to open and the KPL LED coming on/Off?

Larry,

I did try this and if memory serves me right it breaks the kpl button integration. Out art least I could not get it to work like I wanted but could be missing something there then also

No programming is needed. You can get the KPL button to light only when the garage door is open and use the button to control the garage door (actually the I/O Linc) with scenes only w/o trigger reverse. If you use Z-Wave, then, at least with v4+, you'll need programs.

I don't know if you can integrate Z-Wave and Insteon scenes using v5+.

Stu

This is what I originally had and it worked before I changed out the original contact closures that you already linked to with the new garage kit. The original contact closures allowed for wiring in n/o and n/c while the the new ones only allow for n/c. I'm think I'm going to just try and put the original contact closures back and see if I still run into problems where the the garage would be stuck open while it was actually closed

I just replaced my IoLincs with Mimolite zwave devices this weekend and they work great. I already had good zwave coverage in my garage. I liked them because they were a direct swap of the IoLinc instead of using​ a separate device for control and status. I had been holding out because I want to install a security system, but that keeps getting delayed...

http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php?/topic/13768-Z-Wave-I/O-Module

Hi Jimbo,

Appreciate the info you and junkycosmos posted on the MIMOlite. Your post finally convinced me to purchase a MIMOlite to replace the IOLinc I had in service for several years as garage door control. I have been waiting for V5 with multichannel support to install the NuTone GDO I purchased in August of 2015 and finally gave up. http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/16652-nutone-ngd00z-garage-door-controller/?hl=nutone The Nutone will never be installed now that the MIMOlite is working.

~Mike

Hi Jimbo,

Appreciate the info you and junkycosmos posted on the MIMOlite. Your post finally convinced me to purchase a MIMOlite to replace the IOLinc I had in service for several years as garage door control. I have been waiting for V5 with multichannel support to install the NuTone GDO I purchased in August of 2015 and finally gave up. http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/16652-nutone-ngd00z-garage-door-controller/?hl=nutone The Nutone will never be installed now that the MIMOlite is working.

~Mike

For what it's worth, I installed two of the GoControl branded GDO's just yesterday (I believe these are the exact same device as the Nutone, just with different branding), and they both work as intended. ISY firmware version is 5.0.8.

In the Admin Console, the text status of the devices toggles from:

Closed --> Opening --> Open

or

Open --> Closing --> Closed

I needed the secure repeater functionality, so I opted for these.

Archived