Android Tablet (cheap) working with Mobilinc

asbril

I have used a variety of tablets with mobilinc, including about a half-dozen android tablets. My impressions are that mobilunc will run on any of them. The bigger difference is simply that some mat last longer, or have better displays. I also use tasker as part of my HA strategy, which integrates well with mobilinc. For me, I find the widgets of mobilinc and tasker to be a key feature for tablets dedicated to controlling the house features, so I would tend to favor mobilinc over agave, though both seem to work well, especially when the tablet is on the same network.

I agree, if you are on Android, Agave is the way to go.

Thanks all. So, Agave may be my first choice. I like Tequila anyway !!!!!  :-)

Now I am looking for a 7" or 10" tablet that shows the Agave App all the time. It would be my only use of the tablet.....

How cheap is cheap?

I've been happy with the Samsung Galaxy Tab series of 7" tablets. I'm an iOS user myself, but I need Android devices for testing cross-platform mobile apps, and have used the Tab3 and Tab4 for this. Both are obsolete at this point, I think the Galaxy Tab E is the current equivalent. Looks like $100-120 online.

I'm afraid the product variations are endless! Model numbers are a mess! So, there is Tab E, Tab E 10", Tab E Lite, ad-infinitum.

I would avoid the Chinese cheapies.

How cheap is cheap?

I've been happy with the Samsung Galaxy Tab series of 7" tablets. I'm an iOS user myself, but I need Android devices for testing cross-platform mobile apps, and have used the Tab3 and Tab4 for this. Both are obsolete at this point, I think the Galaxy Tab E is the current equivalent. Looks like $100-120 online.

I would avoid the Chinese cheapies.

Price is less the issue than the possibility of having the Agave App (or Mobilinc)  open at all times as only App on tablet

Price is less the issue than the possibility of having the Agave App (or Mobilinc)  open at all times as only App on tablet

Besides a very purpose-built tablet such as the amazon fire, I don't know that I have ever seen a tablet running any normal version of android where one could not have an app open continuously.  Just open agave (or mobilinc), and leave it open.  Is it your intention to leave the screen on 24 hours/day or will there be times that you intend to have the display shut off? 

Besides a very purpose-built tablet such as the amazon fire, I don't know that I have ever seen a tablet running any normal version of android where one could not have an app open continuously. Just open agave (or mobilinc), and leave it open. Is it your intention to leave the screen on 24 hours/day or will there be times that you intend to have the display shut off?

There are several 'kiosk' apps that allow you to pin a single app, and have that app launch on boot etc. We are investigating these at work for a Blue Jeans project (it can use Android tablets as room system controllers). Same problem, but in our case we likely don't mind if it sleeps between uses.

MobiLinc Pro for android allows 'widgets' where you define what element you want to control and it places a move able widget on screen wherever you like.

The only thing I don't like is programs give menu with the Then, Else, If, stop menu

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

Here is the one I picked up for $180 USD at Walmart.

I got the generic brand that is now being sold under the R CA name in the last month.

With 64GB it works very well. The detachable keyboard can serve dual purpose.

Thanks Larry, that looks a great deal. For work reasons I have an Ipad.

Because I want a tablet for one use only (controlling ISY in living room),  I am thinking to get a  7" KIndle without the "special offers", and then get one of the above mentioned  "kiosk" apps, to have either Agave or Mobilinc as bootable app.

Sorry Larry,

I wrote that I use an Ipad for work, but I am looking for an Android as a tablet to control ISY.

I have only four programs sitting on one home page on my 12" android and they are not fancy looking but it could be a start to a wall tablet for home control.

I abandoned that idea after getting an Echo but more data accessibility would be nice.

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

• 9 months later...

I know I'm digging up an old thread but seems I'm trying to do the same.  Will any of the HA control apps run on an Amazon Fire?  Right now they are super cheap for Black Fridays and I thought about getting a couple.    

I know I'm digging up an old thread but seems I'm trying to do the same.  Will any of the HA control apps run on an Amazon Fire?  Right now they are super cheap for Black Fridays and I thought about getting a couple.    

Read this - it will help. http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/06/09/how-to-install-google-play-on-2017-fire-tablets-in-5-minutes/

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2017 at 7:16 AM, asbril said:

Thanks all. So, Agave may be my first choice. I like Tequila anyway !!!!!  :-)

Now I am looking for a 7" or 10" tablet that shows the Agave App all the time. It would be my only use of the tablet.....

I know this is an old thread already, but yeah Agave is way more awesome than Mobilinc. Anyway, opt for Samsung Galaxy Tab Series as this is somewhat preferably by most people when it comes to Android Tablets. 

Archived