loss of comms

Over the past day or two I noticed that my programs weren't "running".  Actually, I think they are running, but not communicating.

I tried to manually control a few of my insteon modules tonight and they're not responding.  Running the event viewer and trying a "Query" to each one, it appears to try 3x and never receives any response.

PLM Info/Status shows connected.

I'm not sure what to try next.  Is there a link someone could reply with and I'll go through as many of the troubleshooting steps as I can?  (Or if you have anything explicit for me to try in a reply-post, I'll of course try that too!)

Bumming out here, wondering if my PLM is dying, but I don't know how to isolate the issue.

(No changes to my environment - electrical or new modules,etc - has occurred in weeks.)

Thanks in advance,

AJ

The PLM is it a 2413S and about how old is it?

How many links are showing in the Show PLM Link Table display? Sometimes Insteon action on the power lines may make the count be incorrect and you may want to try it a few times.

You may also want to power cycle the PLM and ISY Controller. Powering up the PLM first so the ISY Controller finds it when it boots up.

Also looking at the LED on the side of the PLM is is On and not real dim?

Rebooted as you suggested.  PLM shows a solid orange (maybe red?) led now.  ISY shows a solid Rx, no Tx.  Logging into the admin console shows "Safe Mode"... ("This is normally caused when the system cannot communicate with the PLM...")

PLM is probably 5yrs old.

@brian_h

I browsed through that thread (well, I stopped after about the 9th page), then I pulled the PLM open while waiting for the replacement.  It's a v1.B.  The obvious date on the daughterboard is 2012.01.10.

No obvious signs of issues with the caps.  No bulging or leakage noticeable.  Doesn't mean they're not bad, but just FYI.  Thing was really warm when I unplugged it -- not that that means anything either.

I had a cap problem with my TiVo PS recently (coincidentally) and did find bulging caps.  I even bought the replacements from DigiKey, but eventually decided my soldering/desoldering skills would probably do more harm than good (and yes, that is also a single-layer PCB, so it should be in the "easy" range for someone who really knows his way around a soldering iron).

Maybe I'll order the replacement caps and give it a try in my spare time to make a "spare".  Can't break it much further! ;)

That's a great thread (unfortunate it has to exist, but great).  I will tell you that people with soldering skills are getting harder and harder to find.  Keep up the skills and encourage them!

Thanks again,

AJ

OK, new one arrived and the "Replace Modem" procedure works as described.

However, I have a few wireless devices...When the instructions say to put the device into "Programming Mode", what would the equivalent be for a device like the Leak Sensor (#2852-222).  The skinny manual they give you doesn't really tell you how to put it into "Programming Mode", so I'm just wondering what the translation is.

Thanks,

AJ

For most battery operated Insteon modules. That are in a power saving mode and have to be woken up.  Programming mode is putting it into the Linking mode with the Set Button on the module.

All the Insteon Modules have a link on their sales page for the full users manual

Here is the one for the Leak Sensor.

http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2852-x22-en.2-9-2016pdf.pdf

Put it into the Linking mode as described on page 3. Make Leak Sensor a Controller. Step#1. With the Set Button.

Then follow the instructions for adding it to your ISY setup not the remaining manual linking steps in the manual.

The Insteon Documentation can also be found here.

http://www.insteon.com/support/#documentation

Restore only one battery powered device at time. Be sure that the device has timed out, about four minutes, or manually take it out of linking mode before attempting to restore another battery powered device. If a device does not complete restoration, don't try another unless you disable the errant device first (right click).

BTW, there's an easier way if you have an ISY Pro. "Do not include battery powered devices ....," (Icon below Help)

Archived