Open/Close Sensor (2843-222) Low Battery Notifications

smokegrub

I have had two of the subject devices in service for a couple of years. After a couple months each starts sending low battery notifications. The most recent of these occurred last week for a device in which I replaced the battery on 12/23/16 using an Energizer Advanced Lithium AA. Yesterday I replaced that battery and because it had lasted less than 1 1/2 months decided to check its voltage. It was 1.77 volts! This raises the obvious question, why are these devices sending erroneous low battery notifications? The other device has also reported a low battery condition and the door it monitors has not been opened since the battery was installed in November, 2016.

I have several Hidden Door Sensors on doors that are opened numerous times each day and they typically last about a year! 

I am convinced that something is amiss in the low battery notifications for the Open/Close sensors. Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to resolve it? 

I have had two of the subject devices in service for a couple of years. After a couple months each starts sending low battery notifications. The most recent of these occurred last week for a device in which I replaced the battery on 12/23/16 using an Energizer Advanced Lithium AA. Yesterday I replaced that battery and because it had lasted less than 1 1/2 months decided to check its voltage. It was 1.77 volts! This raises the obvious question, why are these devices sending erroneous low battery notifications? The other device has also reported a low battery condition and the door it monitors has not been opened since the battery was installed in November, 2016.

I have several Hidden Door Sensors on doors that are opened numerous times each day and they typically last about a year! 

I am convinced that something is amiss in the low battery notifications for the Open/Close sensors. Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to resolve it? 

I'm going to assume for just a moment you mistaken the heart beat node for a low battery alert. The open-close sensor does not have a low battery node. 

The Motion Sensor and Hidden Door sensor has a low battery node . . .

There are three possible reasons for this to happen even a forth. The battery is low, the device is not with in RF range of another dual band device, the programs logic is incorrect (variable state), there is RF interference.

I would check the current state of the heart beat program logic and see what value its set at. Sometimes when the controller is rebooted some programs do not come back up as expected. If you don't find any program logic in error. You can certainly hard reset the device and complete a restore device in the console and sit and wait to see what happens.

For reference how many times has this happen is there a pattern?

Testing a battery with a voltmeter will always give incorrect results because a voltmeter does not place a load on the battery. The correct device to test battery voltage is a battery tester (unless the voltmeter has a battery test mode).

Teken:

I suspect the program may be the problem:

If Control Door Sensor

Heartbeat is switched On

Or

Heartbeat is switched Off

Then

Send notification to me

If this is the problem would you be so kind as to show me the correct manner to handle this?

Teken:

If Control Door Sensor

Heartbeat is switched On

Or

Then

Send notification to me

If this is the problem would you be so kind as to show me the correct manner to handle this?

Hello Smokegrub,

I would encourage you to adapt this fantastic program from Belias: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/11566-leak-sensors-a-suggested-complete-program-package/ As noted previously the heart beat node offers two critical points which is (IF) the battery has enough power to send the heart beat signal (approx) every 24 hours.

The other is - Is the device with in RF distance to the closest Insteon dual band hardware in the home. The reason for adapting the *Leak Sensor* program is that it uses variables and basic math to track the actual heart beat. If you already have the this fantastic program in place you need only add the open close sensor to the applicable line of code.

Ultimately, those who use this program are assured of robust tracking and notifications . . .  

Teken:

If Control Door Sensor

Heartbeat is switched On

Or

Then

Send notification to me

Just add a Wait in front of the notification.

Everytime a heartbeat signal is received the timer will start over and never notify you. Make the timer at least 10% longer than the heartbeat period.

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

Just add a Wait in front of the notification.

Everytime a heartbeat signal is received the timer will start over and never notify you. Make the timer at least 10% longer than the heartbeat period.

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

I have been using a wait of 25 hours. I increased this to 28 hours and see what happens.

Archived