Dim a scene?

MikeB

I'd like to setup a trigger that dims an entire scene (basically a 3-way circuit) to a particular level, but the only options seem to be ON or OFF.

Is there a way around this, or do I need to dim each switch individually in the action?

Thanks!!

Mike,

Dim/Bright/FON/FOFF will be added in the next drop.

This said, however, INSTEON does not allow sending a group command (to a scene) with the desired on level. That's why device, within a scene, has its own onlevel and ramprate. In short, you cannot issue something like:

Set Scene x to 50%

You can always do:

Set Scene x to Dim/Bright which simply brighten/dim the scene on notch.

With kind regards,

Michel

I'd like to setup a trigger that dims an entire scene (basically a 3-way circuit) to a particular level, but the only options seem to be ON or OFF.

Is there a way around this, or do I need to dim each switch individually in the action?

Thanks!!

Mike,

This said, however, INSTEON does not allow sending a group command (to a scene) with the desired on level. That's why device, within a scene, has its own onlevel and ramprate. In short, you cannot issue something like:

Set Scene x to 50%

MikeB,

Part of the problem with Dim/Brighten a scene is that all devices step to the next of 32 levels. Some devices may change as much as 3% and others only 0.39%

So, Yes, you are most likely to be happier with a new scene.

You can always do:

With kind regards,

Michel

Along with Set All Devices I would like to see a slider to modify the levels of all the devices in a scene using a percentage. Perhaps 0-100% slider with a toggle next to it to select Dim or Brighten. Dim would start at 100% and brighten would initially be 0%.

Using Dim for example: Set the slider to 50% and devices that were 79% become 39.5%, 64% becomes 32%, etc.

Dim and Brighten All Devices In A Scene was next on my list for Group Commander. I think after you get the ratios correct among the devices in a scene it could come close to being a mirrored dimmer or brighter scene.

Something logarithmically related to light output versus power level would be more accurate. That could keep the ISY team busy for a while :D

I'm not sure if anyone would have a use for the same function with ramp rates, that is already proportional to the level.

Thank you,

Rand

Rand,

Excellent suggestion ... I've put it on our list to review.

With kind regards,

Mike,

Set Scene x to 50%

MikeB,

Part of the problem with Dim/Brighten a scene is that all devices step to the next of 32 levels. Some devices may change as much as 3% and others only 0.39%

So, Yes, you are most likely to be happier with a new scene.

You can always do:

With kind regards,

Michel

Along with Set All Devices I would like to see a slider to modify the levels of all the devices in a scene using a percentage. Perhaps 0-100% slider with a toggle next to it to select Dim or Brighten. Dim would start at 100% and brighten would initially be 0%.

Using Dim for example: Set the slider to 50% and devices that were 79% become 39.5%, 64% becomes 32%, etc.

Dim and Brighten All Devices In A Scene was next on my list for Group Commander. I think after you get the ratios correct among the devices in a scene it could come close to being a mirrored dimmer or brighter scene.

Something logarithmically related to light output versus power level would be more accurate. That could keep the ISY team busy for a while :D

I'm not sure if anyone would have a use for the same function with ramp rates, that is already proportional to the level.

Thank you,

Rand

Archived