Teken

For those who don't know me or haven't been on this forum for very long. I have been on a 25 year journey to make energy monitoring / energy management sexy. It's safe to say the first ten years there wasn't any movement or traction gained in this area. 

Fast forward to 2017 public awareness and the need to be more prudent with our energy usage has been front and center.

I wanted to show case a few projects that has elevated my home automation system to new heights along with offering my Brultech Green Eye Monitor (GEM) and Dash Box (DB) that sexy voice. The problem with energy monitoring / energy management is that its unsexy, boring, and rarely if ever is there a method to find out important data when needed.

Yes, a person could log into a computer and see the stats, charts, graphs, etc.

Again, unsexy, boring, and doesn't offer that extra oomph for anyone to pursue limiting their energy consumption. All of this has changed with the advent of Amazon Echo and the wonderful Alexa persona.

In my mind what needed to be done was to offer the very same interactive elements so many of us have come to enjoy using Alexa. The only difference here is instead of asking random questions which often times are generic in nature and has nothing to do with a persons home environment. Is finding a way to offer reactive and proactive information to the end user which empowers them to react.

I've been able to accomplish both of these goals because of the hard work and sharing by two outstanding UDI forum members: Thanatar, Blueman 2

Both of them took the time to share with me and many others how to achieve and accomplish both reactive and proactive voice announcements.

Here are a few quick videos of what I have been able to accomplish because of their insight and thoughtful sharing.

This first video show cases just some of the 350 plus canned responses Julie U.S. is able to offer when specific conditions are met in the home. This part of the system is reactive and the end user does not need to do anything for Julie U.S. to alert me or others of changing conditions etc.

This short video is to pay homage to the all mighty Thanatar who took the time to boot strap this long term project I had shelved years ago.

The following videos show cases what Blueman 2 offered me and countless others in terms of proactive voice announcements. Using the Amazon Echo I can query with Alexa almost any element that pertains to the homes superstructure whether it be humidity, temperature, energy, water, power, energy targets (KWH), security, force protection, resource access, etc.

This is dry run of me obtaining live up to the minute information and data for my home.

This last video is me testing, validating, that my intent phrases and canned replies made sense along with identifying issues.

At this juncture having both Julie U.S. and Alexa tightly integrated with the ISY Series Controller has pushed the envelope of something that was once considered boring, unsexy, and hard to interact with - Sexy!

It goes with out saying with out the never ending development of Universal Devices Inc. and Brultech the basics to the most advanced elements of energy monitoring to energy management could not have been accomplished!

As stated early on two way voice announcements could not have been achieved with out the support, guidance, and feedback by Thanatar, and Blueman 2. Both of you have made a long time dream come true - So I thank you so very much!

NOTE: It goes without saying every other company who had a hand in the hardware, software, technical feedback and development also need to be thanked and saluted. 

haha, watching these videos with my dot in the room causes her to try to respond to your commands in the youtube videos.  She keeps telling me jokes for some reason.

LOL - During my video editing Alexa kept replying back with the same request . . . I had to put on a set of headsets to avoid her hearing the audio from the video! Still, much to do in this area but its mostly has to do with repeating the same process of creating dozens of NR's.

I suggested before in your other post, you should share the WAV files you have for others in the community.

I don't think the ckassic Alexa voice will be a wave file. I suspect the files will be text for interpretation into voice to match her voice like that.

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

Strange.

It doesn't make a sound for me

I tried many different options with immediate play and download.

Is there secret to it?

It works for me on a computer, but not for me either via iOS/iPhone. Doesn't matter you need another piece of software to capture the voice anyways, then you save that as a wav file. Its a time consuming process, that's why I suggested Teken share with the community, which has been ignored.

It works for me on a computer, but not for me either via iOS/iPhone. Doesn't matter you need another piece of software to capture the voice anyways, then you save that as a wav file. Its a time consuming process, that's why I suggested Teken share with the community, which has been ignored.

I seem to be creating it and I can download it into a video file with an animated mouth but there is no sound in the file.

Android device though.

Thanks.

Archived