Control Fanimation (or any proprietary) DC fans

Goose66

So many new ceiling fans come with fancy DC control circuitry for the motors and lights that provides remotely-controlled, energy-efficient, multi-speed, quiet operation. But it also eliminates the ability to control with external controllers save the remotes that come with the fan. Anybody done any work on ways to get these types of fans integrated into an ISY994i-based home automation system?

The one I have does not have a removable control unit (at least not without cracking open the motor housing). It doesn't even allow separate, external control of the light. It appears to at least allow the fan to return to its previous settings when power is removed and reapplied. I can live without speed control of the fan in the automation system, but I sure would like to be able to control that light separately. The remote is RF and not IR, as well. I am thinking I may have to buy an additional remote (at $50) and then hack it with a Insteon universal module.

Interesting idea above...

Perhaps not the answer you want, but you could buy the extra remote as you mention, "hack" it and solder wires to the button contacts and then use a web controlled relay board and ISY network resources to trigger the relays. I wouldn't use the iolinc since as I see it that only would give control of a single button.

I've done similar for my Hunter Douglas RF controlled shades (bought before I caught the HA bug ) with an extra remote and an Elk relay board.

Before you fully go down this route, you might want to test how the remote button sequences work (if any). For example, are two buttons pressed in sequence and if so, how much time can pass between the button presses? What happens if they're pressed simultaneously? With the ISY and network resources, I would think programs would trigger the relays either nearly simultaneously or at least 1 second apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived