How to supress noise on an Outdoor Module's Load..

grtaylor

I have some landscape lighting hanging off a transformer connected to a 2634-222 Outdoor Module - and when that load is on comms with the module are dreadful.

Any suggestions for ways to mitigate this other than McGyver'ing a FilterLinc inline and trying to waterproof it? This is outdoors, on a driveway, in the Pacific Northwest. It rains...

I've had this exact problem, outdoor low voltage transformers can create a considerable amount of noise, especially if you're plugging right in at the source with no extension cord that 'runs out' the noise. Ironically the outletlinc replaced an x10 supersocket that worked there on the same transformer for many years without a problem. 

I was able to get a filter link in the box i was using. However last summer I replaced everything but the landscape lighting wire with a Patriot low voltage LED system. Its transformer does not need the filterlinc

Paul

• 1 month later...

Forgive the breach of netiquette if this is a hijack to the OP, but I *think* it's on topic...

As I've had various Insteon devices installed for some time, they've worked fairly solidly, especially since I've grown my network.  Among them are setups almost identical to what you describe: an outdoor module hanging in the xformer box, connected in line as the controlling device (where the light sensor control box used to go).  I have two, the only difference being the wattage of the actual xformer...one is 300w, the other 600w.

I've just gotten around to installing the ISY into my system and today started creating links; the aforementioned issue was one of the problems I encountered.  What doesn't make sense to me is this: I previously controlled the Outdoor Module with an 8 button mini-remote (2342-2 v1.4) from inside our house with no issue, but now as I try with the admin console, it fails to even link when it's in place (tried to link in an outlet next to me and it worked fine...it's not the module). 

The other xformer works/links just fine with the console.  I don't quite get why a mini remote (with an inline linc DB about 15 feet away in a liquid tite Jbox controlling some other stuff) works the module, but the admin console won't...Is it a noise issue (don't see why since the other module controlled xformer works just fine) or a signal issue (don't see why here either since it used to work with the mini remote) or user induced buffoonery?

To add to the OP question, though, in my *limited* knowledge and experience, the module worked pretty well as a plug in controller for my LV outdoor lightning xformer.

Outletlincs seem to be 'fussier' than the average insteon device. I had 1 of 3 outletlincs on outside yard light transformers act that way and the other 2 were fine. I swapped outletlincs and the problem remained with the 1 location/transformer. I plugged an appliancelinc into the uncontrolled outlet and could get it to work. It was transformer noise that the outletlinc couldn't handle... i eventually put a plug in filter in and went back to using the outletlinc.

Prior to the outletlincs, I had x10 supersockets that worked in those exact locations for almost 10 years with no noise/comm problems, and the first outletlinc didn't last an hour on that one transformer before it stopped responding.

Paul

Archived