Emergency Health Alert needed... Insteon?

johnstonf

My mom has had a stroke...

She's recovering quickly, but I need an 'alert' solution, as she lives alone without computer or internet, and doesn't like technology.

I'm looking for some sort of mini-switch on a bracelet that she can push if she runs into trouble.  Then I can have the ISY (Will install it and Internet in her home) send out emails to us children, friends, etc if she has another fall/episode.

I also found an app called ManDown that monitors movement on a smartphone, and resets whenever it senses movement (eg set to 1 hour, and if NO movement, it will start calling, emailing, texting).  So just putting data on a smartphone would allow this app to work, BUT, she would need to carry and maintain a smartphone (charge nightly, etc).  The app also has an SOS button to push to send immediate alert, but it can be a P.I.T.A. to get into the app, touch the screen in the right place, answer an "are you sure?" button, etc.

She does drive, and go for long walks, so a 500 foot limited RF solution won't cover it all.

Also, money / cost IS a consideration, for sure!

Any thoughts?

Anyone going through this and found good solution(s)?

I have to agree with Techman when life and property are the objective use the right tools. You can get your mom hooked up to a basic system which offers a RF pendent / bracelet while at home. More expansive units have a sim card embedded into the device so it has global reach when out of the home.

One press of the button and the alert is sent to whom ever is registered to receive the alert message.

Obviously, if she is out and about and has an issue it would fall on those around her / him to offer assistance. More advanced systems offer GPS location but many Canadian cities don't offer such services to the monitoring station. Many offer the end user the ability to log into web portal to see the location but this assumes you are near a terminal etc.

I concur with others. Get a purpose-made alert product.

And, then, convince her to start carrying a smartphone. Or at least SOME sort of cell phone. I realize it will be like pulling teeth. Maybe one of the phones specifically designed for seniors, which I think will have an emergency alert button on it in any case. She will have to get over any stigma associated with carrying such a phone!

I had a neighbor with dementia (realize not the same thing!) and her son and I tried and tried to get her to carry a phone. "Who would I call"?  She has a home phone which suits her needs - she screens carefully and does check caller ID as - sadly - most of the calls she receives are from some sort of scam artist or another. So she only answers if it is her son, a neighbor, friend, etc. (It is a pain if somebody has to do some service on her home, etc...)

I gave her my best shot, but I'm afraid it failed. She is a spunky 86-year-old, and once got into a physical altercation with her housekeeper when she came home and found her in the house, not remembering that she was there to meet the plumber! She also walks around the neighborhood sporting a Louis Vuitton handbag. I told her then when somebody tries to steal her Louis, that she would need to have a phone so that she can call the ambulance to take away the culprit after she bops him in the head with her purse!

(Fortunately, she does not wander or lose her directions. She just forgets anything recent - and that can result in AWKWARD conversations!)

You are going to have to top that to convince her! Just tell her that you want to make sure she is OK, and want to be able to reach her (and vice-versa) where ever she is.

If she gets a smartphone, then (with her permission) you can enable GPS "friends" tracking so that you can always know where she is.

Archived