Communication Issue?

mdcastle

Yesterday found that a program didn't run. Opened up ISY 994I and it reported it was in "Safe Mode" because it couldn't communicate with the PLM". Trying to load programs produced a cryptic error. Unplugged and replugged in both without effect. Noticed a firmware upgrade available so I updated it, now outgoing commands from programs or the console work. Incoming status still does not. 

Bad ISY? Bad PLM? Bad Firmware?

Hi-

Sounds like a dying/dead PLM. You can try Restore modem and it may buy you a little time. Here is a link to review

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/19331-my-plm-died-and-i-bought-a-new-one-what-should-i-do-next/

Paul 

Yesterday found that a program didn't run. Opened up ISY 994I and it reported it was in "Safe Mode" because it couldn't communicate with the PLM". Trying to load programs produced a cryptic error. Unplugged and replugged in both without effect. Noticed a firmware upgrade available so I updated it, now outgoing commands from programs or the console work. Incoming status still does not. 

Bad ISY? Bad PLM? Bad Firmware?

OK, Next Question

I have a 2412S sitting in the box along with my ISY-26. I recall it was recommended I replace the PLM with the 2413S when I got the 994I, What would happen if I tried to use the 2412S with the 994I until I can repair or replace the 2413S

Thanks. 

Update- unplugged the PLM again. When I plugged it back in again I heard a pop, the LED won't light, and now no communication is going either direction...

For the benefit of the forum members can you indicate what the sticker on the back notes as the production date and hardware revision. Also, when you receive the new unit can you relay the same along with the firmware level.

OK, Next Question

I have a 2412S sitting in the box along with my ISY-26. I recall it was recommended I replace the PLM with the 2413S when I got the 994I, What would happen if I tried to use the 2412S with the 994I until I can repair or replace the 2413S

Thanks. 

No problem just remember the 2412S powered the ISY Series Controller so don't use the PSU that's in use now.

You won't cause any harm by trying to use the 2412S PLM. If you do use it, then you won't need an external power supply, the older PLM provides power for the ISY.

You won't cause any harm by trying to use the 2412S PLM. If you do use it, then you won't need an external power supply, the older PLM provides power for the ISY.

Is it not limited from an I2CS perspective? There may be support issues with newer devices?

Paul

Sticker on the 2413S is

V1.B

Address is 2A.A2.CE

The 2412S simply does not work. After doing a restore modem half the devices have the "writing to" tag on, restoring on of them results in "device not responding", No manual commands entered on the computer are getting out. Some programs work and some don't.

Any chance the serial port or something on the ISY also got fried or is it more likely the 2412 is just incompatible, or else decayed from sitting in the box for years wiithout being plugged in?

Sticker on the 2413S is

V1.B

Address is 2A.A2.CE

The 2412S simply does not work. After doing a restore modem half the devices have the "writing to" tag on, restoring on of them results in "device not responding", No manual commands entered on the computer are getting out. Some programs work and some don't.

Any chance the serial port or something on the ISY also got fried or is it more likely the 2412 is just incompatible, or else decayed from sitting in the box for years wiithout being plugged in?

Once a restore modem has been completed any battery operated devices will need to be individually updated one by one. Once that is done you may have to do a restore device(s) which can take several hours to complete.

If the pain of going through all of that is too much you can try deleting and adding back each device one at a time. Only you can determine if the investment of time is worth while or not.

Regardless, we are here to help if you decide to follow what ever route . . .

• 2 weeks later...

I have no battery powered devices, it was random wired in modules that weren't responding. I couldn't detect a pattern as far as type, revision, or distance from the PLM. 

I elected not to repair the old once since my hands are no longer steady enough to do that kind of fine soldering. I got my new 2413 from Amazon. No date on it, Revision 2.2, identical circuit boards, "1629" code on it, Address begins with 43. Have not tried it out yet. 

Archived