Open/Close Sensor vs. IO Linc?

jgcharlotte

Has anyone used an open/close sensor as a cheap and simple alternative to an I/O Linc?  Strictly for the dry contact interface, using the 'external sensor' terminal.

Thinking about it for an IR Photoelectric Detector.

Yes, in dozens of applications . . .

Cool, thanks.  I couldn't think of any major downside.

You certainly need to ensure and mindful of a strong RF Insteon mesh in the home. If you expect to see positive results using the open-close sensor. I'm using the external contact for various *Proof of concept* projects and long term cold weather Arctic testing.

- Smart door bell

- Voltage loss detection

- Water leak detection

- Tilt sensor

- Humidity trip point

- Position sensor

- Stress / Level detection

Why would anyone even use the I/O Linc to control devices other than low voltage? That's not its purpose. That's akin to using an Open/Close sensor to control a line voltage relay to operate a low voltage device. It can be done, but why not use a device for its intended purpose?

Why would anyone even use the I/O Linc to control devices other than low voltage? That's not its purpose. That's akin to using an Open/Close sensor to control a line voltage relay to operate a low voltage device. It can be done, but why not use a device for its intended purpose?

Hi Stusviews, not sure who was proposing that. . . it doesn't make sense.  The only IO Linc I have is using the contact to bypass an LED strip dimmer module for full brightness in under cabinet lighting.  Works great for that.  For strictly dry contact input, seems like open/close should work well, as attested to by others.

One nice thing about the IO Linc, though, is that it's dual-band.

Hi Stusviews, not sure who was proposing that. . . it doesn't make sense.  The only IO Linc I have is using the contact to bypass an LED strip dimmer module for full brightness in under cabinet lighting.  Works great for that.  For strictly dry contact input, seems like open/close should work well, as attested to by others.

One nice thing about the IO Linc, though, is that it's dual-band.

The I/O Linc in its current form is single band - many of us have been waiting for a dual band version for more than two years.

Smarthome recently updated the sales page for the I/O Linc to indicate it was power line only and a range extender maybe needed in some installations.

I imagine many users where not aware the I/O Linc was an older design power line only module.

The box I got my Retail Boxed I/O Linc actually says on it "Wire Band". :wink:

Archived