What did you do today?

Scottmichaelj

I thought you posted a while back that you had several, maybe I misunderstood. Thanks for your insight. There's a 3rd generation bulb in a variety of sizes that claims to have better blues and greens. I will look into MiLights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see.  I have four Philips Hues, one Philips Iris, 5 MiLight 9W RGBWW bulbs, and 5 LEDenet RGBWW/CW controllers with RGBWW strips in my gathering room. I  also have a bank of 10 LEDenet controllers sitting in boxes right now, that I used to animate a circus tent ceiling, for a wedding I held here, and a few more spares. I also have 6-8 MiLight strip controllers that have been replaced with LEdenet units.

The LEDenet controllers are Ethernet/WiFi. The rest require a hub. Hue Hub is a bridge from Ethernet to Zigbee.

MiLights have bulbs and controllers for LED strips. The colour match between them is very close for the matching colour codes. MiLights give off very nice lighting and good illumination for the white colour (3000K).

However, the MiLight Hubs only handle four groups of light address each. I have five bulbs so two share an address. I have two hubs but only one being used right now. 

Just using NRs to control the MiLight devices takes a Wait 1 second between commands. To address one you need to send a bulb On signal as a select, Wait 100 mSec minimum, and then send colours and brightness. This is not the best from just ISY NRs as the wait has to be 1 second minimum.

With software running on a RPi as a bridge, the 100 mSec delay can be invisible to the human eye. I have software for that, or io_guy has written a driver that installs into NodeLink with ISY V5.

All that said, for the price and quality of light I wish I had never been gifted the Philips devices. I would not buy any more for those sky high prices and very poor colour selection. A 5 metre RGBWW strip, controller and powers supply, cost me about $35 dollars each.

I found I would never need to blend white light temperatures. I want either good working white lighting or decorator deep colours. Hues don't do it (either no brightness or no green) ,  Milight and LEDenet does.

• 4 months later...

Today my wife and I spent the afternoon trying to help a dog in need. My wife is a rescue rep for the Italian Greyhound Rescue and this adorable one year old came for help. Unfortunately Rover is not an Italian Greyhound so the IGCA can’t help financially but if he doesn’t get the surgery he needs he will have to be put down. His owner Paul rescued him from the SPCA and needs some help with the cost of surgery. I have donated to the cause and usually wouldn’t ask for help but he is only a year old and damn if he isn’t the cutest puppy you have ever seen! If you could spare anything it would be greatly appreciated. I won’t keep posting but if you could help...

https://www.gofundme.com/rover-james-needs-emergency-surgery

I got an API key from my solar installer so I could start pulling my generation data from the cloud. Started in with Node Red and created a flow to pull the PV data and add it to a CSV. A related DB project will come later. Also, created (er, [censored]ized) a flow to pull METAR data and inject some data into the ISY. Started tinkering with charting in node red but decided to start learning to do graphics within javascript instead. Node red is cool and really easy (considering) but I don't want to use it as my home UI. This was after the day job of creating 32 reports and admin for the company web portal.

Yeah, technically it was all done yesterday so sue me. :)

I got an API key from my solar installer so I could start pulling my generation data from the cloud. Started in with Node Red and created a flow to pull the PV data and add it to a CSV. A related DB project will come later. Also, created (er, [censored]ized) a flow to pull METAR data and inject some data into the ISY. Started tinkering with charting in node red but decided to start learning to do graphics within javascript instead. Node red is cool and really easy (considering) but I don't want to use it as my home UI. This was after the day job of creating 32 reports and admin for the company web portal.

Yeah, technically it was all done yesterday so sue me. :)

Nice! Some people use the Brultech Greeneye monitor with the Dashbox. It’s a pretty powerful combo and can integrate with the ISY. Of course it’s pricey but adds lots of functionality too. The url to their site is below of your interested.

http://www.brultech.com/

And yes I am going to sue you since you did it yesterday! Wonder how much can I get? My wine is going fast! Hahah

Nice! Some people use the Brultech Greeneye monitor with the Dashbox. It’s a pretty powerful combo and can integrate with the ISY. Of course it’s pricey but adds lots of functionality too. The url to their site is below of your interested.

http://www.brultech.com/

And yes I am going to sue you since you did it yesterday! Wonder how much can I get? My wine is going fast! Hahah

I was looking at them the other day. They look nice. I would love to be able to monitor each breaker panel circuit. Even some devices on those circuits.

I was curious, is it possible to add info from other sources to the dashbox database? For example, some smartplugs have energy data monitoring. Can those be monitored by the dashbox? While I'm currently only pulling power data for the PV array, I'm looking at a modbus controller to get more granular info. Could that data be kept by the dashbox as well? By kept I mean injected somehow like a rest interface.

I can get some MD20/20 or Thunderbird. :)

I was looking at them the other day. They look nice. I would love to be able to monitor each breaker panel circuit. Even some devices on those circuits.

I was curious, is it possible to add info from other sources to the dashbox database? For example, some smartplugs have energy data monitoring. Can those be monitored by the dashbox? While I'm currently only pulling power data for the PV array, I'm looking at a modbus controller to get more granular info. Could that data be kept by the dashbox as well? By kept I mean injected somehow like a rest interface.

TBH I don’t know. I would suggest going to their forum and doing a bit of research.

http://brultech.com/community/

Also maybe PM Teken, he has a system too and helped me get mine going. That said if you want to see a real life example I would be happy to show you my setup and talk with you on the phone to answer questions etc to the best of my ability. I don’t have any data going to the ISY yet because I just don’t personally have a need right now. I get everything I need from the Dashbox. I am going to probably want to do the same thing as I replace devices with ZWave or whatever that have Energy Monitorting incorporated in the actual device too down the road.

Edit: BTW I don’t think I drank any of that even as a poor teenager! Lol

Are you running Outback  PV equipment?

Myself and another person here have integrated the Mate3 via the SunSpec modbus port into ISY.

TBH I don’t know. I would suggest going to their forum and doing a bit of research.

http://brultech.com/community/

Also maybe PM Teken, he has a system too and helped me get mine going. That said if you want to see a real life example I would be happy to show you my setup and talk with you on the phone to answer questions etc to the best of my ability. I don’t have any data going to the ISY yet because I just don’t personally have a need right now. I get everything I need from the Dashbox. I am going to probably want to do the same thing as I replace devices with ZWave or whatever that have Energy Monitorting incorporated in the actual device too down the road.

Edit: BTW I don’t think I drank any of that even as a poor teenager! Lol

Yeah, I dug around a bit more on their website and forums. I'm thinking I would just need to put my own rPi or something in place of the dashbox. It seems Brultech are more adaptable to using other logging solutions than the dashbox trying to be a generic logging solution for all. I don't really know that for a fact but just how I perceive it.

As a kid (young teen) some friends and I got hold of a few bottles of MD2020. It started out fun but ended badly. I still can't stomach wine. :)

Yesterday, I finally took the day off to take the CISSP exam, and passed... :)

So now I have CISSP, CCSP and CCSK. A full complement of IT security certifications...

Congrats!

Are you running Outback  PV equipment?

Myself and another person here have integrated the Mate3 via the SunSpec modbus port into ISY.

Unfortunately not. I am using SolarEdge optimizers and inverters (no batteries).

Do they have a revealed API protocol or method?

Yes and no. They have an API rest interface into their cloud reporting system but they will not provide per panel type data via the API. It is a 15 minute aggregate at best.

There are hacks (hijacking the data stream) to get the individual panel data but they are just that; hacks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I backpacked 57 miles of the North County Trail in Manistee National forest in western Michigan. A rainy start but finished up nicely. I believe I found what's known as an Indian Trail Marker tree,  more common in the east.  I've contacted the local Tribe Councils and NFS and they are investigating it to make a determination.

WMIIMG_0063-3.JPG

WMINCTWMI15-3.JPG

WMIIMG_0105-3.JPG

I backpacked 57 miles of the North County Trail in Manistee National forest in western Michigan. A rainy start but finished up nicely. I believe I found what's known as an Indian Trail Marker tree,  more common in the east.  I've contacted the local Tribe Councils and NFS and they are investigating it to make a determination.

WMIIMG_0063-3.JPG.1bba2d135cc8704f98d817fa071c221c.JPG

WMINCTWMI15-3.JPG.c83f942509241da8093657ec2140f1b4.JPG

WMIIMG_0105-3.JPG.e0be2b2129357ae88283714be77f4257.JPG

What is an Indian Trail Marker Tree? Wait I’ll Google it lol

Edit: Google is my friend. What I did today...Today I learned what a Trail Tree is!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_trees

I got my 50th anniversary SM57 mic bundle from BH today. I just ordered a telescope. Yep, eclectic mix I know... Fought with the guy repairing my Behringer interface until he hung up on me. Called Behringer and they are sending me an new upgraded interface overnight. Bad that I had issues but cool that Behringer is stepping up in a surprisingly good way.

Since I got all my switches changed to ZWave I'm getting a bit tired of the HA stuff. I did order a Fibaro leak sensor for the water heater (getting old and a matter of time before it starts leaking) and a WiFi LED controller along with the telescope accessories so maybe I'm not done just yet... Hmmm, telescope controlled by HA. Nah, too far fetched.

19 minutes ago, DrLumen said:

I got my 50th anniversary SM57 mic bundle from BH today. I just ordered a telescope. Yep, eclectic mix I know... Fought with the guy repairing my Behringer interface until he hung up on me. Called Behringer and they are sending me an new upgraded interface overnight. Bad that I had issues but cool that Behringer is stepping up in a surprisingly good way.

Since I got all my switches changed to ZWave I'm getting a bit tired of the HA stuff. I did order a Fibaro leak sensor for the water heater (getting old and a matter of time before it starts leaking) and a WiFi LED controller along with the telescope accessories so maybe I'm not done just yet... Hmmm, telescope controlled by HA. Nah, too far fetched.

Just listed my 12" mirror Dobsonian telescope. Getting a good response so far.

3 hours ago, larryllix said:

Just listed my 12" mirror Dobsonian telescope. Getting a good response so far.

Cool.  I'm just getting back into it so starting small with a 5" Newtonian. I was thinking of a Dobsonian but I was looking to do astrophotography eventually.

IMHO I think this is fluff marketing BS. I think there are plenty of good solid ZWave plus certified devices and manufacturers. The key is the ZWave Plus cert, so it adheres to a standard that all devices can work together. I have been very happy with Aeotec in my home.

The thing that concerns me is that it looks like they own a lot of the close/near RF technologies. They could stranglehold any or almost all to push whichever is most profitable for them. I have to believe that at some point they will want to simplify their product lines.

I guess we'll see.

Archived