Icon Relay Switch/ Cannot communicate with the device

Hi Everyone!

New to Insteon and to this forum.

Bought a new house (new to me, not new from builder)

Previous owner had set up a ISY based smart home - smart switches, irrigation ,etc.

But, he took the ISY and PLM as he had custom setups.

I bought a new ISY 994 and new modem.

Started with simple - tried to link switches. Out of ~20 was able to link only one.

For remaining I get the following error: "The following devices could not be added" (see attachment.)

I'm quite good with electronics and work in IT. But the level of frustration is very high with this devices.

I've tried to reset the ISY, installed latest firmware, reset the modem.

Still communication issues.

What am I missing?

Where should I look?

Any word of help will be useful.

Please advise.

post-8135-0-82605600-1489409657_thumb.png

Are you using the Add New Insteon Device or the Start Linking method to add the modules?

Have you looked over the Insteon devices in the home?

To see what model numbers and if possible the six digit Insteon ID on each module.

We want to determine if any Dual Band Modules, Access Points or Range Extenders are in the home. To pass the power line signal  between the two incoming lines i the home.

I believe all the Icon line of Insteon devices are power line only. So things like noise makers and signal suckers maybe an issue.

I would recommend you factory reset all the modules and start fresh. That way no leftover links in the modules.

They recently reworked the Insteon.com site but you can still find manuals for your modules if you know their model number. If the previous owner didn't leave the full users manuals.

http://www.insteon.com/support/#documentation

If you can't find a particular one you need. I may have it in my archives.

Icon devices are compatible with the ISY 994i. Which version, both firmware and UI, is on the ISY (Help, About)? Do you have an ISY Pro? Z-Wave module installed? IR module installed? something else?

It's imperative to factory reset devices if they were used in a different system, as Brian recommended. Different device have different reset procedures. Post the device models you need help with. All is OK B)

Archived