Mystery Off for INsteon Switch

I have been having a problem of a light either going off or not turning on correctly that has me stumped.  The light should automatically turn on at about sunset with a few other lights and it seems not to turn on.  This has been going on consistently since I installed the ISY994.  Lately when I would pass by the quad swtich (all insteon) and notice that 3 were on and the one was off, I'd just switch the one on or sometimes before thet were on.  Later I would notice that the switch was off and it wasn't schedule to go off before 10:30.

So I am guessing that there is something turning the switch off - maybe a responder to something or in a scene.  But I can't find anything.  So I thought someone on the forum might be able to give me a clue from a log.  So yesterday, I opened the program, opened the switch (42.46.81) and started the log and cleared it.  Then I manually turned on the switch at about 6:55 pm.  The only other manual event was turning off the switch in my office (41.OB.E8) at 7:35 pm.  

I returned to the quad switches at around 9:40 pm and the light was off.  I searched the log for the problem switch (42.46.81) and saw the manual turn on at the top of the log.  I assume that the LTONRR means that the it was turned on.  I searched for other instances and there were a few but at 8:01:17 there was a line that had 42.46.81 and LTOFFRR which looks like a turn off of the switch.  Is this a clue to where the problem comes from? The log file is uploaded.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Al Guden

aguden@guden.com

ISY-Events-Log.v4.5.4__Sun 2017.03.19 09.49.49 PM.txt

I checked those and all looks fine.  I just right clicked the program that turns this switch on along with 5 more and selected run Then. THis switch didn't come on.  When I did turn it on manually, it blinked red about 6 times and then did it again.  Same red led activity when I turned it off.

Al

I checked those and all looks fine.  I just right clicked the program that turns this switch on along with 5 more and selected run Then. THis switch didn't come on.  When I did turn it on manually, it blinked red about 6 times and then did it again.  Same red led activity when I turned it off.

Al

It appears that you have a communication problem, either a poor Insteon signal or noise on the powerline.

If you turn on and off the light from the ISY does it work correctly?

What's the model number of your problem switch?

How may dual band devices do you have installed.?

Red blinking led was the clue.  I removed the device from the scene, deleted the device, logged off and on ISY, manually turned the device on and off - no red led - added it back and then added it to the scene.  Works fine now.  Thanks for all of your help.

Al

Just a quick followup on this thread.  I have a switch in my master bath that has acted oddly a few times.  I simply factory rest the switch then restore device from the ISY and it solves the problem every time.  This particular switch is one of a bunch that get their backlights adjusted twice daily and I suspect that something occasionally interferes during that adjustment and causes this issue.  Reset fixes it and restore device returns all of the proper links after the reset.  Quick and easy fix.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Archived