Storm Door Locks

GlowingHair

Does anyone know of a "smart" lock suitable for a storm door? It doesn't necessarily have to connect to the ISY, although that would be a bonus, but maybe something with a keypad, or going back decades, using the knob to enter the code (I have old Schlage locks that I used to have installed that used the knob twisting right and left to enter the PIN and could signal the deadbolt to release, too - went with those instead of having the locks rekeyed for the third time). If I need to enter an add-on room from outside, I need to have the key, and I would prefer not being dependent on having that key. None of my searches have turned up anything, but I've noticed a lot of the members here know of less common products.

Thanks

If your storm door(s) accepts a deadbolt, as you seem to imply, then you should be able to use Schlage Z-Wave deadbolts--if you have sufficient room between the storm door and the regular door.

BTW, I've been using Schlage locks for more than two decades. Whenever we update, and we have several times, I just have the new locks  re-keyed to the same keys we've been using all that time.

If your storm door(s) accepts a deadbolt, as you seem to imply, then you should be able to use Schlage Z-Wave deadbolts--if you have sufficient room between the storm door and the regular door.

BTW, I've been using Schlage locks for more than two decades. Whenever we update, and we have several times, I just have the new locks  re-keyed to the same keys we've been using all that time.

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I had my locksmith here on another matter, he said that a normal deadbolt won't work, because there isn't a real structure for where the deadbolt throws. Picture attached.

I've been using Schlage for almost 30 years; the first lock I installed in an existing door was a challenge since the holes already drilled were too small for a more current lock standard (the house was built in the late 1940's) so a cut off table leg was used to fill the hole so a larger one could be drilled. Luckily, I didn't need the table that made the sacrifice.

post-7777-0-49705600-1492026795_thumb.jpg

Archived