Looking for Mitsubishi split system control

etsvilik

Checking if anybody tried to control Mitsubishi split HVAC systems from ISY.

I have a ductless system installed in my addition. Works wonderfully. It comes with archaic IR remote control. I'm planning to purchase Mitsubishi plug-in wi-fi module that allows to control the unit via their proprietary "Kumo" cloud and  smartphone.

I'd like to be able to automate it the same way I do with ecobee 3 thermostat and the Node.

There is very little information I could find online in terms of automation. API is not published. One guy reported intercepting some pockets sent to the unit. It looks like JSON wrapped XML string. Would be an ideal candidate for Network resource.

Any ideas? May be someone more Networking savvy can show me the easiest way I can intercept/decode the pockets sent to the unit.

This is probably not what you want, however, you can get a global cache ir device.  Via the network module, you can send tcp commands specific to each ir signal to the global cache, and it "shines" out the ir signal.  It is only one way of course, you get no feed back from the unit.

Basically, it is a learning remote, but instead of pushing buttons, you send tcp commands to it.  The GC doesn't store the commands, rather, when you "learn" the commands, it gives you a long string of values that you put into your tcp command.  They also have some libraries which I imagine include your mini-split system.

Does that system have a stat or allow third part ones? I have a Daikin and found my stat was compatible with Ecobee. I know my system has a pin out on the head unit. Maybe its possible you have one too and can plug into that and add a third party stat that you might be able to control.

Thank you all for suggestions. 

The unit has a single pin out where wifi module is plugged in. Alternately I could purchase their thermostat adopter that uses the same pin out and interfaces to common thermostat. They want $290 just for an adopter. Thermostat is on me. It also needs separate 24VAC for the thermostat to function.  A little toooo much for what I value this feature.  This is installed in all glass sun-room so I would not want extra wires hanging out of the unit.

I though hacking their Kumo to be ideal.  My family is well adopted to control pretty much everything from the phones or IPads. We don't touch our ecobee at all and thermostat for the Mitsu would be a waste and an eyesore. 

I'm adding 2 more units this months. Gives me multi zone HVAC in older single-zone house without any duct work.  Mitsubishi Kumo app conveniently brings control for all units in the same app.

IR would definitely work but as you said lacks feedback.  

I also have Mr. Slims in my home (2 'outside' units and 5 'inside' units. Currently I control them with the remotes that came with them. They are fantastic units.  

Being relatively new to ISY, I've also started wondering if I could integrate them. I found this: Remotec Z-Wave ZXT-120 IR Extender for Air Conditioners. 

I can't see where there would be any feedback, but I'm thinking they could at least control my units using my ISY.

Do you know if the GC unit can learn very long IR codes? My understanding is the Mitsubishi Slim remotes sends a number of codes to the units all at once - temp, heat or cool and some other info for example. Much more than a typical IR remote sends.

When I use my Mitsubishi remote, I can see  my IR repeater in my home theater blink a lot more than it does when using my Harmony remote, for example.

I'll see if I can find out more about this today....

Do you know if the GC unit can learn very long IR codes? My understanding is the Mitsubishi Slim remotes sends a number of codes to the units all at once - temp, heat or cool and some other info for example. Much more than a typical IR remote sends.

When I use my Mitsubishi remote, I can see  my IR repeater in my home theater blink a lot more than it does when using my Harmony remote, for example.

I'll see if I can find out more about this today....

According to this thread, yes.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/7587-capturing-air-conditioner-ir-commands-2411t-vs-itach-wf2ir/

And this forum has a way to use putty terminal emulator to get the raw output if you fail to get it using the software GC provides.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=170544

My bet is, if you PM the person in the first thread, perhaps they can just send you the codes already done.

Archived