Devices respond but not scenes from ISY software

Not if the PLM count is unusually low. That would indicate a failed or failing PLM. If that were the case, rebuilding scenes would work--for a while and you'd be back where you started.

BTW, one functioning scene is not a PLM test.

Once a scene is deleted, it's gone. One would have to deactivate the scene, make a fresh copy, delete the old scene and then activate the new scene. That's not a trivial task. Try the count first, st least twice. There should be minimum Insteonactivity during the count. No activity at all is best.

I dont know what the PLM count means but my PLM count came back with 23. When I sort my network list at the root and count the number of distinct addresses I get 27 (although I know a few of my modules are not currently plugged in) (and keypads have one address even though they have 6 or 8 buttons).

Do the PLM's really go bad after a couple years? If thats true then Smarthome is cutting corners on price in mfg these, I have small electronic devices in my home like HDMI splitters, network switches, etc. that have been powered on for 7 years with no failures, these devices have more parts than a PLM. The only fix seems to be re-creating each scene anyway so I'm not sure what the benefit is of knowing an aggregate count.

Once a scene is deleted, it's gone. One would have to deactivate the scene, make a fresh copy, delete the old scene and then activate the new scene. That's not a trivial task. Try the count first, st least twice. There should be minimum Insteonactivity during the count. No activity at all is best.

I was thinking the Java program would first copy all the properties of the scene to a file, then delete the scene from the Insteon network, commit that delete, then programatically apply all the scene properties of the file it saved off earlier (as though a human were using the UI to create the scene). In the end having the new scene re-created as though from scratch.

Rick,

When one does a restore modem it re-writes all the data, including scenes, that's stored in the ISY back to the PLM

Your PLM link count indicates a possible PLM problem.  Some of the previous PLMs had issues with their power supplies becoming flakey and then failing due to component failures. 

What's the 4 digit date code and version number on your PLM

It's not accurate at all. The calculation is only an estimate. If you run a count five times, you'll get five results, but they should be close with maybe one aberrant reading. The link capability depends on both the IISY and PLM versions. Even with a 1000 link capability, anything more than about 800 can lead to a flaky system, but you're not even close to that.

Edit: your count indicates that the PLM is OK B)

Rick,

When one does a restore modem it re-writes all the data, including scenes, that's stored in the ISY back to the PLM

Your PLM link count indicates a possible PLM problem.  Some of the previous PLMs had issues with their power supplies becoming flakey and then failing due to component failures. 

What's the 4 digit date code and version number on your PLM

My PLM is practically brand new maybe 9 months old, its version 2.2.

My PLM is practically brand new maybe 9 months old, its version 2.2.

With a PLM link count of 23, and considering your PLM is newer, then you either didn't do a proper restore modem or your ISY files are either incomplete or corrupted.

The PLM link count is available under Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Link Tables.  Is that the one you used to get the count of 23?

This will give you an approximation of how many links you should have in your PLM   http://www.universal-devices.com/tools/insteon/calc_plm_links.htm

Do the PLM's really go bad after a couple years?

Sadly, true for many people. Many of us that depend on it keep a spare, and we keep bugging SmartHome to allow UDI to produce their own PLM and/or allow them to integrate it directly into ISY.

In the reviews section for the 2413S PLM on the Smarthome sales site. You will see many reports of failures a few months after the two year warranty expires. In the review section Smarthome indicated they found a component issue and hardware 2.3 has updated parts. Only time will tell if it did much.

Long thread here on the 2413S PLM failures and repairs. In post 329 I posted what I found in a recently purchased hardware 2.3.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13866-repair-of-2413s-plm-when-the-power-supply-fails/

Archived