How can I identify the culprit device?

I have two switches A & B.  A is the load, and B is a slave.

B is not turning A on or off.

Is there a way using the event viewer or links table to figure out which device is bad?

In the admin console, right click on each device, show device links, and then click compare. I suspect you have ust lost some links in the devices.

In ether case it wouldn't hurt to right click on one device at a time and select "Restore", to repair anything lost and different from what ISY thinks should be there.

ISY's your friend.

Before following larryllix' advice, I would double-check to ensure that your scene definition is correct.  When you click on the scene, do both devices show up?  Are both in RED text (both controllers)?  Are the responder levels for each controller correct?

In the admin console, right click on each device, show device links, and then click compare. I suspect you have ust lost some links in the devices.

In ether case it wouldn't hurt to right click on one device at a time and select "Restore", to repair anything lost and different from what ISY thinks should be there.

ISY's your friend.

There's the problem. Restore doesn't appear to work. One device shows it is still needing to be updated. But this also could be a function of the PLM location isn't the best for communication.

I noticed that scene X doesn't control the switch (it should) and scene Y does work.

I can try a remove/add the device to both scenes, but it seems like I'm just guessing. Is there something from the links table that can help me figure out what's going on?

You should have only one scene for any 3-way configuration. Both devices should be controllers in that one scene.

I have two switches in a 3 way using insteon links. Both the load and slave belong to multiple ISY scenes.

I don't understand why you say I should have only one scene.

An Insteon device can be a controller of one and only one scene. The correct method for multii-way (3-way, 4-way, etc.) switches is for each device to be a controller. The only possible way for each device to be a controller in a multi-way configuration is for each and every device to be a controller of the same scene. An ISY controller is also a responder. There is no need to make the device a responder to another scene.

Any other scene configuration will lead to one device working correctly and the other device to not work correctly. That's the result you are experiencing.

I don't understand why you say I should have only one scene.

It is clearly acceptable to have devices part of many scenes.  I believe the point about having them in a single scene was limited to the virtual three-way setup.  With regards to this, a single scene is all that is needed, including both devices (and only both devices) as controllers.

I suppose you could accomplish the same thing (virtual three-way) with two scenes if you want, but this strikes me as potentially confusing.

This may never work with a scrambled program running inside the switches, until you factory reset them, and restore the proper links again, using ISY. It takes 30 seconds each device.

If it restores partially, then restore the device of the missing links? (not sasquatch) to see if that's bad?. What's the plural of that, sasquatchi?

An Insteon device can be a controller of one and only one scene. The correct method for multii-way (3-way, 4-way, etc.) switches is for each device to be a controller. The only possible way for each device to be a controller in a multi-way configuration is for each and every device to be a controller of the same scene. An ISY controller is also a responder. There is no need to make the device a responder to another scene.

Any other scene configuration will lead to one device working correctly and the other device to not work correctly. That's the result you are experiencing.

I already setup my switches so they control each other in a 3 way as you say. I also create ISY scenes that "control" many devices but are not really controllers.

I already setup my switches so they control each other in a 3 way as you say.

Do you mean one scene with both devices as controllers? If so, then that is correct. Does the 3-way configuration work correctly now?

II also create ISY scenes that "control" many devices but are not really controllers.

How can the device control other devices if it's not a controller?

Archived