Has anyone figured out a way to dim the 12 volt side of an LED transformer using an insteon device

PapaBear

I want to install LED lighting strips above cabinets. The dimable transformers are very expensive. Can I use an insteon device to dim the 12 volt side?

You did not mention what price you consider expensive, but I purchased a 60 W dimmable transformer on Amazon for around $79 last year, and it works fine with a LampLinc.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too better address your question I would ask:

1) what is expensive to you for this project?

2) how do you plan on powering the driver/transformer? Outlet, existing light circuit with a j-box, or something else?

3) have you already purchased and strips or transformers that we need to work with?

In general though how I do it is that I get an in-line Linc and a good dimmable driver, (around the $60-$80 mark) and then link the in-line to a switchlinc.

You could go with a straight up light circuit switch leg to a switchlinc but I prefer the in lines because they tend to dim a little better with led drivers.

Nathan

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes, you can dim the 12V (or 24V) side.

You need a driver that has some means of control.

ONE way is to use a driver that accepts a 0-10V control signal. There is an Insteon product that can be used to generate the control signal:

http://www.insteon.com/0-10v-ballast-dimmer/

You would use it with something like this:

https://www.diodeled.com/0-10v-dimmable-led-drivers.html

The Insteon dimmer has been on sale for some time for $49.

You can certainly get cheaper products than the Diode LED. It was just the first link that came up in my search. Diode LED is a very high-quality manufacturer that you will find at your local commercial electric supply.

This combo will give you "architectural" dimming to <1%.

Other ways include: DMX, proprietary (e.g. Hue, Magic UFO), etc.

Dimming on the 12 (24)V side is the CORRECT way. Dimming the 120V input to a transformer is a KLUDGE.

Most installations use the kludge, because it is an easy retrofit with existing wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. I have a switchlinc on the circuit already so I will probably try that first. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good source for LED strips and transformers on-line?

There are several sites out there for LED strips and drivers but I've tended towards superbrightleds.com --- no real particular reason other than they have had what I was looking for a few times when I was having a hard time elsewhere so I just start there these days. 

Mean Well makes quality drivers this link shows their dimmable LED drivers. You can also find any number of strip lights from there as well. Makes sure that whatever strips you get are also dimmable. It isn't just the driver or the strip. They both need to be dimmable. But a switchlinc connected to the driver should dim the LED strips pretty well if not get you super low on the lights. That's the biggest problem with dimming LED's since you don't dim DC the same way as AC that driver has to do the translation.

But like I said, Mean Well makes a quality product and they have worked well for me in the past.

Nathan

Archived