IFTTT integration with multiple echos possible?

ahwman

I have successfully set up sub accounts in my ISY portal for use with multiple Amazon Echo's. That said, when I log into a sub account//connectivityAmazon Echo tab, it's a blank slate as I would expect. However, when I try the same with IFTTT, all of my commands from my main account are present. Is it possible to link IFTTT to multiple Echo's in the same way we can with the Amazon Echo v2 skill?

Thanks,

Chuck

I have successfully set up sub accounts in my ISY portal for use with multiple Amazon Echo's. That said, when I log into a sub account//connectivityAmazon Echo tab, it's a blank slate as I would expect. However, when I try the same with IFTTT, all of my commands from my main account are present. Is it possible to link IFTTT to multiple Echo's in the same way we can with the Amazon Echo v2 skill?

Thanks,

Chuck

IFTTT events are ISY specific. They are not sub-account specific like the echo is. So what you are seeing on ISY portal is by design.

Now, are you trying to trigger the same event name from different echo to trigger different things?

If so, I believe you will need an IFTTT account per echo.

You can create all of your IFTTT events on ISY Portal all in the same place. Then, in IFTTT, each of your events in every accounts will need to map to an ISY Portal IFTTT event.

Benoit.

IFTTT events are ISY specific. They are not sub-account specific like the echo is. So what you are seeing on ISY portal is by design.

Now, are you trying to trigger the same event name from different echo to trigger different things?

You can create all of your IFTTT events on ISY Portal all in the same place. Then, in IFTTT, each of your events in every accounts will need to map to an ISY Portal IFTTT event.

Benoit.

Thanks so much Benoit. I was a bit confused by seeing my existing IFTTT commands under a sub account. It now makes sense...

Chuck

Benoit.

Benoit,

I have used IFTTT for my echo commands direct to my ISY (no portal).  With my echos all being on the same Amazon account (I have 6 of them), all respond to my ifttt trigger.  Are you saying that with the portal, I could specify that only certain echo's respond to certain commands?

For example, I might want the echo in my bedroom to be the only one that accepts the command to turn on/off my bedroom light.

Or, I might want to be able to say "shut light off" and have each echo respond by shutting off the light in the room it is located.

I suppose I could set up my echo's on different accounts, but I suspect I will run into issues there with my Amazon prime features and stuff.

I have Prime and four Amazon accounts. Only one account is Prime, the others are dummy accounts as far as I'm concerned. I never use them except for the portal. I have no issues at all with the Prime features (on that one account only).

I have Prime and four Amazon accounts. Only one account is Prime, the others are dummy accounts as far as I'm concerned. I never use them except for the portal. I have no issues at all with the Prime features (on that one account only).

I use the prime music feature on several of these.  I assume your "dummy" accounts don't get that?

True. I'd have to buy Prime for each account. But I have an upscale stereo system. As an audiophile, anything less just doesn't make it for me. That's just me. I wouldn't expect most to spend more for their sound system than their car B)

True. I'd have to buy Prime for each account. But I have an upscale stereo system. As an audiophile, anything less just doesn't make it for me. That's just me. I wouldn't expect most to spend more for their sound system than their car B)

I don't really sit around with my eyes closed taking in music.  Aside from my theater system, music is there to break the background silence while I engage in other tasks.

I guess my real question is, if I had the portal, does that offer any ability to differentiate which Echo is sending the command when there are multiple echos on the same Amazon acct.

Benoit,

I have used IFTTT for my echo commands direct to my ISY (no portal).  With my echos all being on the same Amazon account (I have 6 of them), all respond to my ifttt trigger.  Are you saying that with the portal, I could specify that only certain echo's respond to certain commands?

For example, I might want the echo in my bedroom to be the only one that accepts the command to turn on/off my bedroom light.

Or, I might want to be able to say "shut light off" and have each echo respond by shutting off the light in the room it is located.

I suppose I could set up my echo's on different accounts, but I suspect I will run into issues there with my Amazon prime features and stuff.

Yes you can do that with ISY Portal.

However, with the current smart home skill version (V2), you need to have as many Amazon accounts as you have echo. All of your echos can use the same Amazon account, but when you enable and link the skill, you need to provide and Amazon account which needs to be different for each echo. On ISY Portal, you need sub-accounts with a user profile which is mapped to the corresponding amazon account.

In V3, this will be simpler. Each echo, when enabling the ISY smart home skill, you will be able to map it directly to a corresponding ISY user profile (each in their own sub-account).

Benoit

Yes you can do that with ISY Portal.

However, with the current smart home skill version (V2), you need to have as many Amazon accounts as you have echo. All of your echos can use the same Amazon account, but when you enable and link the skill, you need to provide and Amazon account which needs to be different for each echo. On ISY Portal, you need sub-accounts with a user profile which is mapped to the corresponding amazon account.

In V3, this will be simpler. Each echo, when enabling the ISY smart home skill, you will be able to map it directly to a corresponding ISY user profile (each in their own sub-account).

Benoit

OK, I'm confused.

I think I hear you saying you have to have multiple Amazon accounts, one for each echo, but simultaneously I think I hear you saying they can be on the same Amazon account.  I'm confused.

OK, I'm confused.

I think I hear you saying you have to have multiple Amazon accounts, one for each echo, but simultaneously I think I hear you saying they can be on the same Amazon account.  I'm confused.

Here's the mapping:

Echo <-> Echo is tied to an account <-> ISY Smart Home skill is linked with same or another Amazon account <-> ISY portal user profile is tied to the amazon account of the smarthome skill <-> ISY portal profile is in an account/sub-account <-> Spokens are tied to an account/subaccount

Now if you want to support multiple echo, all of the above need to be unique for each echo, except for the amazon user profile the echo is tied to (second item in the list)

The next version of the Smart Home skill (V3) will be simpler, as this will be:

Echo <-> Echo is tied to an account <-> ISY Smart Home skill is linked with an ISY Portal user profile <-> ISY portal profile is in an account/sub-account <-> Spokens are tied to an account/subaccount

So in V3, you will no longer need multiple Amazon accounts.

Benoit

Here's the mapping:

Echo <-> Echo is tied to an account <-> ISY Smart Home skill is linked with same or another Amazon account <-> ISY portal user profile is tied to the amazon account of the smarthome skill <-> ISY portal profile is in an account/sub-account <-> Spokens are tied to an account/subaccount

Now if you want to support multiple echo, all of the above need to be unique for each echo, except for the amazon user profile the echo is tied to (second item in the list)

The next version of the Smart Home skill (V3) will be simpler, as this will be:

Echo <-> Echo is tied to an account <-> ISY Smart Home skill is linked with an ISY Portal user profile <-> ISY portal profile is in an account/sub-account <-> Spokens are tied to an account/subaccount

Benoit

OK, so, in short, I'm waiting for version 3.

At that point, I'll go ahead and make the leap to the portal.  In the mean time, I'm not going to waste any time creating more IFTTT applets.

What happens with existing sub-accounts that currently have different Amazon accounts?

What happens with existing sub-accounts that currently have different Amazon accounts?

Sub-accounts will still be required.

ISY portal user profile in those sub-accounts will still be required.

However, the ISY portal user profile will no longer need to be tied to an amazon account in "My Profile".

The Echo relationship will only be from the Echo smart home skill to ISY portal user profile directly.

Benoit

Archived