Weather Bug - What data is available?

CJVann

Is there a better way to check weatherbug.com to find out what data would be available from various stations if I purchase the WB module? I specifically am very interested in Light data. I went to weatherbug.com and entered my zip code, but was unable to find "light" for any of the stations around the city. Every station showed the exact same options, such as temp, wind, and

• Wind Chill: 21°F
    Humidity: 67%
    Dew Point: 15°F
    Avg Wind: 2 SE
    Pressure: 30.37"
    Sunrise: 7:12 AM
    Sunset: 6:38 PM
    Rain/Month: 0.02"
    Moonphase

Is there any additional data the plugin can access?

Here is what I have from a local high school.

• * Temperature 34.5 °F
    * Temperature High 34 °F
    * Temperature Low 27 °F
    * Feels Like 29 °F
    * Temperature Rate 2.5 °F
    * Humidity 53 %
    * Humidity Rate -5
    * Pressure 30.24 mb
    * Pressure Rate -0.02 mb/h
    * Dew Point 18 °F
    * Wind Speed 7 mph
    * Wind Average Speed 4 mph
    * Wind Direction SSW
    * Wind Average Direction SSW
    * Gust Speed 12 mph
    * Gust Direction SSW
    * Rain Today 0 mm
    * Light 58.8
    * Light Rate 30.3

Unfortunately not all stations have the Light data and I could not find a way from the WB site to tell either. I did discover that most of the school based stations in my area do provide the Light data.

PM me your Zip code and I will look it up for you.

Rand

Is there anything sent for special weather bulletins, such as "Tornado Warning"? Thank you for PM'ing and confirming that several stations around me do indeed provide light data - that will be a HUGE addition to my automated lighting!

Is there anything sent for special weather bulletins, such as "Tornado Warning"? Thank you for PM'ing and confirming that several stations around me do indeed provide light data - that will be a HUGE addition to my automated lighting!

I was thinking of this yesterday as well. We were seeing your tornado alerts on our TV.

AFAIK, there are various levels of data sent from WB and at the level ISY uses I don't believe the warnings are included.

I believe there are such messages available at other levels but parsing them would be too complex for use with the ISY. To simply send a notification on any alert would mean sending the notification every time the data is updated.

Having said that I will mention it to Michel and get his opinion.

Rand

• 2 months later...

Rand,

I do not have a ISY capable of the Weather Module, but am considering getting one. Am I reading you posts correctly that the module receives current data, but not predictive data. For example, one of the things that would justify the expense and hassle of changing my system to a new ISY would be knowing that it is greater than 70% chance of rain tomorrow or going to be high humidity, or low temp, so do not allow the sprinklers to run today. Or it is going to be really cold tomorrow, even though it is really hot right now, so do not crank down the AC, just wait.

The way I am reading your post, this is not supported, and the data is not even there. Am I correct?

• 9 months later...
..... one of the things that would justify the expense and hassle of changing my system to a new ISY would be knowing that it is greater than 70% chance of rain tomorrow or going to be high humidity, or low temp, so do not allow the sprinklers to run today. Or it is going to be really cold tomorrow, even though it is really hot right now, so do not crank down the AC, just wait.....

Now that would be an excellent addition. Imagine having a pro-active home!! That is an awesome idea.

I believe there are such messages available at other levels but parsing them would be too complex for use with the ISY. To simply send a notification on any alert would mean sending the notification every time the data is updated.

Rand

I could see the possibility of writing a program that would just notify you once for a tornado warning and then reset itself after the tornado warning or watch has passed. This could even be easier with variables.

With the ELK M1G's ability to give audible messages/alerts, this feature would be quite useful when integrated with the M1G.

• 3 weeks later...

Using a program such as Interwarn, you can set it to forward weather warnings to a mail address. I use this now to send severe weather warnings to my cell phone. It has access to all NWS products. And it makes a loud warning sound when you choose the type of bulletin received.

How would you consider using this information with the ISY? Shutting down everything in the house or sending a signal to the main breaker to turn it off? A warning throughout the house via speakers? Just curious.

• 3 months later...

Rand

I could see the possibility of writing a program that would just notify you once for a tornado warning and then reset itself after the tornado warning or watch has passed. This could even be easier with variables.

With the ELK M1G's ability to give audible messages/alerts, this feature would be quite useful when integrated with the M1G.

So, last night my family and I slept through a tornado warning. Turns out a tornado actually touched down not far from my house. This has been a bit of a wake up call (no pun intended) for me to try and find a better way to be notified. Currently, i just get text messages to my phone for any warnings but I don't always have my phone near the bed. It would be really cool if I could use the Climate module to run a program for certain warning events. I'm not interested in most warnings, but things like Tornado warnings I do want to be notified for.

Are there any plans for something like this? If not, can anybody think of any other ways to achieve this? Maybe a 3rd party app that can somehow notify ISY?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I just purchased the Weather module for my ISY...very nice information available.

I have a question...The light data seems to be limited on the low end...when it is still light and getting closer to dusk, the light level goes to less than 1 and to 0 very quickly. This makes it difficult to use the available light information to control outside lights as they go on too early in the evenings and stay on too late in the mornings when compared to sunrise/sunset. I can use timers, but prefer to have lights turn on/off based on available light.

My outside ms's do have a photocell and they appear to ble closer to desired on/off light level for dusk/dawn, but they aren't as reliable as the data available through the weather module as they occasionally do not update correctly.

I have tried different weather stations in my area and all report less than 1 light level while significant ambient light is available outdoors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hello gfridland,

Light data is basically quite limited in WB and it all depends on the weather station and it's position.

Unfortunately, when it gets to dusk/dawn, the numbers get even more inaccurate (between 0 and 2) and therefore I strongly recommend using this information in conjunction with sunrise/sunset times.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel...that's what I will plan on doing.

Do you have any sample programs that will accomplish this? With the light data being so limited on the low end, I would expect that the sunrise/sunset timers would always trump the light data.

The only real beneifit I can see is using the light information to "verify" status of my motion sensor dusk/dawn sensors. Something like...If WB light data is greater than 1, and dusk/dawn sensor is true (dusk) then i have a status issue in my ms...

Thanks for your help!

Hi gfridland,

I agree, the light data is nearly useless outside. I do have a program that turns on 2 of our 6 outside lights if the data=0 during sunrise to sunset.

I find it most useful for inside lights where, depending on which side of the house the room is on, morning or afternoon, and how many windows are in the room I use values from 5 to 55.

Wait to change Hallway (outside of folder, used by both morning and afternoon folders)

If
  - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
       Wait  5 minutes 
       Set Scene '~Hallway Stormy Day' Off

Else
       Wait  5 minutes 
       Set Scene '~Hallway Stormy Day' On

Bright Day = True
Dark Day = False

Folder Afternoons

Folder Conditions for 'Afternoons'
Add conditions to limit when programs in this folder are allowed to run.

If
       From    12:00:00PM
       To      Sunset  (same day)

Then
  Allow the programs in this folder to run.

Clear Day Hallway Afternoon (in folder Afternoons)

If
       Module 'Climate' Light >= 5 
   And Program 'Wait to Change Hallway' is False

Then
       Run Program 'Wait to Change Hallway' (Then Path)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

When the sky brightens
Only runs if sky was dark during last check

Stormy Day Hallway Afternoon (in folder Afternoons)

If
       Module 'Climate' Light < 5 
   And Program 'Wait to Change Hallway' is True

Then
       Run Program 'Wait to Change Hallway' (Else Path)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

When the sky turns dark
Only runs if sky was light during last check

The programs are the same in the Morning folder except the light value is 12.

Rand

• 1 month later...

I am considering purchasing the weatherbug module, solely for the use of somehow alerting me (turning lights on) at night when major storms are nearby.

I have read that currently there is no way to see/view tornado warnings or other alerts.

Is this still the case? If so, what do current users think: Should/could I use the 'Gust Speed' variable to alert me? (If Gust Speed > 50 then ...). Other variables?

Are these values accurate and/or updated frequently?

I don't have the weather module so no experience with how real time or local the values are. The problem I see with that approach is lead time. By the time conditions have reached a point of concern it may be too late. Weather radios alert ahead of storms reaching an area. With SAME codes the alerts can be localized. My Midland radio has a jack for an external connection which triggers when an alert is issued. Connecting the radio to something like an I/O Linc or SHN device could provide the Insteon message with more time to react.

Archived