Question regarding ISY HTTP Port

ahwman

I have a question regarding the HTTP port number on the ISY-994i. I have been having some intermittent issues with my WIFI to IR bridge and iRule on my iPad wherby intermittently HTTP commands will stop functioning for a period of time, then spontaneously start working again. After a lot of digging, I stumbled onto the fact that my WIFI to IR bridge utilizes ports 80-82 while my ISY is also using port 80 for HTTP. Could this be causing some sort of a conflict with both devices utilizing the same port or can they coexist? For the time being, I have set my ISY to use port 8080...

Thanks,

Chuck

It does not matter.  The ports are per IP address and the devices should have different addresses.  Sounds mode like the ISY is being bogged down with lots of traffic at times.  

-Xathros

Interesting. What benefits will that provide users?

Not sure. The box has been added into the ISY Network resources for certain services that require it.

A better analogy might be when the packet arrives at your router via IP address ww.xx.yy.zz from the Internet, the port number allows it through the correct router firewall, and the SNI could direct the correct computer to use the packet.

Thanks to mwareman in another recent thread...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

Probably cheaper than purchasing a bunch of IP addresses.

Not sure. The box has been added into the ISY Network resources for certain services that require it.

A better analogy might be when the packet arrives at your router via IP address ww.xx.yy.zz from the Internet, the port number allows it through the correct router firewall, and the SNI could direct the correct computer to use the packet.

Thanks to mwareman in another recent thread...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

Interesting read. That said, probably not something most of us will be using...

Looks like the Internet is fighting IPv6 extended IP addressing.

Interesting that this can penetrate through routers into the LAN, that reconfigure addressing to LAN addresses.  Ports seem to be used for similar purposes but routers like to play and convert them, as well.  ISPs can block and tweak port numbers.

SNI  creates an addressing scheme that can now penetrate the router madness (being part of a lower level of the protocol)  and can cause distribution inside a remote LAN, behind a firewall.

SNI in my estimation is just a work around to the core problem of running out of IP addresses. The flexibility SNI offers to large enterprise companies can't be understated. But the reality is its just another choice / solution to help resolve past issues in the Internet topology. I don't believe the creators of the Internet were ever imagining trillions of devices on line at any given moment in time.

With the advent of IoT devices the need for IPv6 addressing is fast approaching . . .  

Archived