SSL

aLf

I get this:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Click here to close this webpage.

Continue to this website (not recommended).

More information

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.

When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.

If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

Now when I log into my new 99 remotely.

Is it normal or somehow do I need to make it legitimate? I just click on the disregard and it goes in. Just doesn't make sense to have to do this every time...

Thanks

aLf

Hi aLf,

This is 100% normal simply because you are signing and using YOUR own certificate. If you wish to pay for a Certificate Authority signed certificate (between $14.00 to $400.00 year), let me know and I'll set it up for you. Please note that you will not get any more secure that what you already have.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel:

Thanks. I thought that that is what you explained the other day. Today was my first chance to try it remotely. Funny thing is that I didn't get that screen on site! Maybe because there, I'm on the 192 network? Thanks again for explaining one more time.

aLf

Hi aLf,

My pleasure ... and, yes, the reason you do not see it at home is because you are local. SSL kicks in if and only if you are accessing your ISY remotely.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel:

Thanks. I thought that that is what you explained the other day. Today was my first chance to try it remotely. Funny thing is that I didn't get that screen on site! Maybe because there, I'm on the 192 network? Thanks again for explaining one more time.

aLf

It looks like I really blew it. I recently logged in remotely for the first time in MANY months. I got all of those warnings, too, but eventually did get logged in. But I thought maybe I should "get with it" and set up the SSL certificate. So I came home and did it locally. But it was a struggle, and I finally managed to save a UD.DCF file, about 1195 bytes. Now I am unable to log in remotely at all. The browser can't even find a web page, let alone think there's a security risk. So then I thought I'd "delete" or somehow "un-create" the certificate. Doesn't seem to be any way to do that. BTW, as you would expect, I have no problem logging in locally.

What do I try next?

Hi LG,

Perhaps your port forwarding rules are no longer in effect?

With kind regards,

Michel

It looks like I really blew it. I recently logged in remotely for the first time in MANY months. I got all of those warnings, too, but eventually did get logged in. But I thought maybe I should "get with it" and set up the SSL certificate. So I came home and did it locally. But it was a struggle, and I finally managed to save a UD.DCF file, about 1195 bytes. Now I am unable to log in remotely at all. The browser can't even find a web page, let alone think there's a security risk. So then I thought I'd "delete" or somehow "un-create" the certificate. Doesn't seem to be any way to do that. BTW, as you would expect, I have no problem logging in locally.

What do I try next?

Hi Michel,

Perhaps your port forwarding rules are no longer in effect?

Yes, that was my first thought, and I checked them as soon as I got home. Everything was just as it should be.

Since I expect to be using remote access on a very limited basis, perhaps I should not bother with SSL, although I'd like to do it if I can. If I remove the certificate using the Java control panel, will that put me back in operation?

EDIT

Rand,

I am using port 1443. I have the ISY configured for it, and the routers port forward it. Before I started messing around with SSL, I could log in successfully. I just wanted to be clever and set up the SSL. :- (

Archived